Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is a same plane turnaround possible at LBA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM

Has anyone tried this?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
No, but since it's a teeny-totty airport that you can get from plane to car park in less than 10 minutes upon arrival, it looks like it would be possible. What is the scheduled turn around for the aircraft?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I can't remember whether domestic arrivals are segregated from departures but even if they are it was very quick to get back in through security in my experience.

It's not that busy an airport, and if you have BA status you're entitled to Fast Track (I think I was still silver at the time I used LBA). The area where domestic arrivals reclaim enters the public area is very close to the BA check-in area and security screening.

A few years ago I did a turnaround in MAN, I even needed to pick up a boarding pass as for some reason I wasn't able to check-in online for the return flight. I managed that fine and MAN is a busier airport.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
A very good trip report for LBA with pictures that might be helpful can be found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-pictures.html
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:17 pm

Heathrow arrivals follow a segregated London/Channel Islands arrivals route to landside; with no bags to check it will take about 90 seconds. Then it's a right turn to the main check-in hall and straight through security and to the departure lounge as any other departing passenger which, at LBA, is very quick and easy - I typically do kerkbside to Yorkshire Premier Lounge in under 5 minutes!
Old Jul 26, 2013, 5:29 pm

Funnily enough, having made over 500 flights around the World, LBA is the only time I've turned up to an airport on time (i.e. 90 mins before departure) and still very nearly missed the flight as in "If you are not here within 1 minute we will close the gate" as I came running down the corridor! This was a couple of summers back, and for some reason there was a ridiculously long security line (over 1 hour in the end) snaking all the way down past WHSmith on the ground floor. Doubt this is normal though, but just to illustrate that you never know when an airport may be having a bad day!
Old Jul 26, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: not a lot
The last time I flew from LBA there was a 1 piece of hand luggage rule being enforced at security regardless of which airline you flew with. Is that still the case or is it waived/not applicable any more?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by jlsw7
Has anyone tried this?
This would be very easy to do in any U.S. airport because domestic arrivals and departures are not separated. You can simply walk off the plane and wait at the gate to re-board the plane for the next flight.

Is it the case in the UK and Europe that domestic (meaning no passport control or customs requirement) arrivals and departures are always separated? If so, does anyone know why we are different in this regard? I imagine it has something to do with security concerns but not sure why there is a security concern for this in the UK and Europe but not in the U.S.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I've done it 3 times in the past 8 weeks but you do have to go landside and back. No problem at all even when I arrived from AMS and had to go through passport control.

If the loads on the flights I took are anything like typical, queueing won't be a problem either!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by majortom421
This would be very easy to do in any U.S. airport because domestic arrivals and departures are not separated. You can simply walk off the plane and wait at the gate to re-board the plane for the next flight.

Is it the case in the UK and Europe that domestic (meaning no passport control or customs requirement) arrivals and departures are always separated? If so, does anyone know why we are different in this regard? I imagine it has something to do with security concerns but not sure why there is a security concern for this in the UK and Europe but not in the U.S.
In NCL and GLA domestic arrivals aren't segregated. They aren't at LHR T1 either, when they are segregated it's more to do with airport design rather than any rules.

As for the rest of the EU, there's airports in many countries where arrivals and departures (even international) are free to mix. AMS and PRG being two examples.

What is the turnaround for? Are you after tier points on a cheap domestic?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 5:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LiviLion
The last time I flew from LBA there was a 1 piece of hand luggage rule being enforced at security regardless of which airline you flew with. Is that still the case or is it waived/not applicable any more?
Last time I checked the hand baggage rule for security was one bag each - this was about 2 months ago. I am struggling to find this on the LBA website today and it simply seems to refer you to your own airlines' restriction - I guess it may have changed?

However, BA seem to give their passengers access to the fast track security lane where you have always been allowed two bags - so same as BA's own hand baggage policy. I have travelled on BA from LBA a few times over the last months with two bags through security and never a problem. Hope this answers your question.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, EY Silver, AF/KL Silver
Sorry to resurrect an old(ish) thread but would like to know if this is still practicable - in particular travelling from LHR on the last flight of the day (18.20) this sunday? Thanks
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes, certainly is. See all the comments in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-security.html

Basically you will have to exit landside and go through security again, but LBA is a small airport. When you exit from the baggage hall to landside turn right and follow the building around. You will pass the check in desks and come to security. Use fast track security. Once through up one floor, follow the corridor but turn left through the duty free shop before you get to burger king, once through the shop pass the waiting area for gate 9/10 on your right. BA flight usually goes from gate 7 which is passed the Yorkshire Premier Lounge and around the corner. If you are at or towards the front of the aircraft and therefore quickly off I would expect you to get all the way around before all the passengers have come off. You should have at least 10 minutes buffer time before they start boarding.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've done this twice without any problems. You should even have time for a quick visit to the lounge (although don't have high expectations)!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, EY Silver, AF/KL Silver
Thanks a lot guys. Will read the thread that KARFA referred to

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.