Wiki Posts
Search

Wasting a 241?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2013, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver
Wasting a 241?

For the first time, we may not be able to use a 241 voucher. I have fixed holidays and OH can not at the moment plan ahead for the next 6 months or so. We have already had the voucher for a year. The best we can do is a last minute short break- so probably a reward flight saver. For all the years we have had 241s this is the first time we have problems using it, so perhaps I shouldn't fret too much. Has anyone else not used a voucher- or used it on a short haul?
Old Aug 4, 2013, 5:59 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fiona
For the first time, we may not be able to use a 241 voucher. I have fixed holidays and OH can not at the moment plan ahead for the next 6 months or so. We have already had the voucher for a year. The best we can do is a last minute short break- so probably a reward flight saver. For all the years we have had 241s this is the first time we have problems using it, so perhaps I shouldn't fret too much. Has anyone else not used a voucher- or used it on a short haul?
Yes, a few years ago, in similar circumstances, Mrs F and I did a weekend trip to Varna (from LGW, when that route existed) in CE, to use a 2-4-1. Not the value that we have had from NRT, CPT, YVR, etc. in F, but still worth it. Better to use it than not, we thought.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Yes, if you have no other opportunity to use it long haul then get the best value you can from it and use it short haul, much better than letting it expire unused and obtaining no value at all from it. See, for example:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...g-241-rfs.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-use-lose.html
Old Aug 4, 2013, 8:15 am
Original Member

Wasting a 241?

I have 2 in my account at the moment with a third soon to be triggered. The first one expires in jan 14 and I don't think it's going to get used. The 2nd will get used for our trip to Australia and New Zealand next yr, the 3rd is likely to be used for Hawaii the year after.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 8:21 am

It looks like I'll be wasting all three of mine now that one ways are no longer allowed. These are ex-USA vouchers which cannot be used anywhere else so pretty useless as I continue west-bound RTW on all my travels. I'd give them away if that were possible...
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:04 am

You can extend them by 6 months....I was offered this as a "standard" thing when looking at options on the phone with BAEC recently.

And one ways are allowed as far as I know....that was the option I was exploring, but did not proceed as hubby was on a different PNR
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Tim_T
I have 2 in my account at the moment with a third soon to be triggered. The first one expires in jan 14 and I don't think it's going to get used. The 2nd will get used for our trip to Australia and New Zealand next yr, the 3rd is likely to be used for Hawaii the year after.
Can I ask how you're using it for Hawaii? I also looked at using one of mine for this but because the flights to get there wouldn't be on BA I couldn't see a way of using it.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Has anyone else not used a voucher- or used it on a short haul?
I've thrown away a number of these over the years. No big deal.

It's always cheaper to throw away the voucher than to use it on a trip you don't want to make and/or don't have time to make.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by heckenhocker
And one ways are allowed as far as I know....that was the option I was exploring, but did not proceed as hubby was on a different PNR
In the UK yes, but not in the USA, a recent change I believe.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:15 am
Original Member

Wasting a 241?

Jonjparr, not all the way to Hawaii on the 241 unfortunately . Instead I will use the 241 for TATL to a west coast gateway then either buy or booked avois on AA or AS. I might also look at out via the USA and return via Japan.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Silver; BA Amex PP; Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I've thrown away a number of these over the years. No big deal.

It's always cheaper to throw away the voucher than to use it on a trip you don't want to make and/or don't have time to make.
Yes agree with this. We had one expiring in November last year; but as we were getting married and going on honeymoon in December, there was no way we could justify a trip. We certainly never struggle to hit the £10k trigger so no forced spend to get it. I guess there was potentially a loss relating to the annual card fee, but the extra Avios essentially cover that. I'm trying to plan a bit better going forward though.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by heckenhocker
You can extend them by 6 months....I was offered this as a "standard" thing when looking at options on the phone with BAEC recently.

Nope. I've tried with different agents and one-ways ex-USA are no longer. I was surprised as I used a one-way just a few months ago. Since you can go F to anywhere in Asia for 67,500 miles using Aadvantage awards, building BA points and collecting 2for1's is no longer viable-at least for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.