Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jakarta.............

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Sadly, tag flights are no longer something you do just to occupy an aircraft. In the old days just about everyone did a variation of BKK KUL SIN CGK in SE Asia.

Lufthansa pulled off -SIN CGK, leaving it only with BKK SGN and BKK KUL on alternate days from its FRA BKK service. A few years' back SWISS cut the BKK SIN tag, and has just started direct flights to SIN from Zurich, so that it operates both ZRH BKK and ZRH SIN directly.

The direct expenses involved in the extra couple of hours' flying are what mitigate against tags, together with the difficulties in allocating capacity and satisfying up demand.

The expenses are truly horrendous, especially with an old widebody guzzler (that's the aircraft...). You need to add on the station costs, airport and navigation fees and the cost of paying and keeping a crew in Singapore. THEN the other indirect costs are factored in. Better keep the aircraft on the ground and perhaps get some maintenance done.
Agreed - I cannot see how a tag will work and most airlines have got rid of nearly all tag routes - the days of the only viable aircraft being the 747-400 have long gone - if it is worth serving do a direct with a smaller airframe or don't bother.

The only exception in my view was the GRU-EZE tag which operated for a few years. This was where there was proven demand in the past which then dried up due to a financial crisis - but BA stayed for the long term and now we have a direct EZE service back....

FD.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 3:16 pm

I would say that in terms of viability, a Mixed Fleet operated LHR-KUL-CGK 3 class 777-200 with an MH codeshare would be the only possibility for CGK.

3 class 772s are already in short supply however.

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
Old Jul 28, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM
I would say that in terms of viability, a Mixed Fleet operated LHR-KUL-CGK 3 class 777-200 with an MH codeshare would be the only possibility for CGK.

3 class 772s are already in short supply however.

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM

However 3 class 787

cs
Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
However 3 class 787

cs
Perhaps from hong kong -- I heard DragonAir were interested in the 787
Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:36 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Just tossing this into the mix. Obviously BA have shed loads of tag ons (Caribbean especially) - but these are obviously destinations where, unlike Singapore & Jakarta, the yield is split between either direction.

As mentioned - Singapore to Jakarta is one of the busiest routes in the world, with no shortage of options. And SIN flights are packed.

How about as a sensible option, make Jakarta a tag on from... Bangkok?

18:00 departure ex-LHR - better than new 14:55 time for most - arrive into BKK around 12:00 midday, swap crew, departure 13:30, arrive CGK 17:30, quick turnaround so same crew can operate back - leave 19:00, arrive BKK 22:30, new crew - leave BKK 00:05 and into LHR next morning?

Good for connections, split the load between BKK/CGK, help support BKK, far less competition BKK-CGK-BKK (GA&TG - so no One World + a couple of locos). Anyway, here's hoping!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:59 am

The times are set up nicely to do it. Great thing for those in Asia is that one could do the 4 legs on BA metal without having to spend 48 hours doing it
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:07 am

Apparently the W13 LHR slot allocation gives a clue...

Perhaps someone can find it?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Apparently the W13 LHR slot allocation gives a clue...

Perhaps someone can find it?
They have this info on the internet for public? would be interested to know
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:13 am

I did some great googling, and found some fasincating facts and figures about LHR, slots, what's being given up, what BA have been fined for, stuff like

In order to resolve the competition concerns raised by the EC and DOT, the parties were obliged to make
available at LHR (or LGW if requested) slot pairs for competing carriers to operate London to Dallas (1 x
daily, with option of one-stop), London to Boston (2 x daily), London to Miami (1 x daily, with option of onestop)
and New York (3 x daily). The New York slots will only be available in the event that the number of
competitive daily frequencies (not including those of BA/AA/IB) falls below 13 per day between London and
New York.
For the Summer 2014 Season, the Monitoring Trustee is inviting applications for London to Boston
(1 * daily), London to New York (3 * daily) and London to Miami (1 * daily with option of one-stop).
But not what BAPilotInsider is hinting at...

PM's always welcome (particularly interested due to this being my no. 1 route - save me from Doha's airport people!)
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
But not what BAPilotInsider is hinting at...

PM's always welcome (particularly interested due to this being my no. 1 route - save me from Doha's airport people!)
Got that part as well! But surely BAPilotInsider meant the schedule that has been published and other future slot allocation
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
W13 is not published yet in the obvious place, but some interesting historical stats nonetheless.

http://www.acl-uk.org/reportsStatist...8&subjectId=33 and http://www.acl-uk.org/slotSanctions.aspx
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe the new, earlier SIN departure time from LHR might be a hint.

A tag from SIN could be a proving exercise ahead of a 787 direct. CGK is the sort of route the Smokeliner was designed for. And no long ETOPS sectors.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Just tossing this into the mix. Obviously BA have shed loads of tag ons (Caribbean especially) - but these are obviously destinations where, unlike Singapore & Jakarta, the yield is split between either direction.

As mentioned - Singapore to Jakarta is one of the busiest routes in the world, with no shortage of options. And SIN flights are packed.

How about as a sensible option, make Jakarta a tag on from... Bangkok?

18:00 departure ex-LHR - better than new 14:55 time for most - arrive into BKK around 12:00 midday, swap crew, departure 13:30, arrive CGK 17:30, quick turnaround so same crew can operate back - leave 19:00, arrive BKK 22:30, new crew - leave BKK 00:05 and into LHR next morning?

Good for connections, split the load between BKK/CGK, help support BKK, far less competition BKK-CGK-BKK (GA&TG - so no One World + a couple of locos). Anyway, here's hoping!
Some of the Caribbean tags are due to the runway lengths precluding a direct service to LHR,rather than load or economics.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
Some of the Caribbean tags are due to the runway lengths precluding a direct service to LHR,rather than load or economics.
Ah - interesting thanks for that. I don't fly that direction that often so didn't appreciate it. I guess AUH/MCT is the only mini tag I can use as an example then.

Although I was always under the impression that BA Pilots are so good they only need half a runway in the Caribbean
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:37 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Pretty soon we will be asking for hotel recommendations. I am not quite sure if the Hotel Bunga Bunga in Jakarta is me:

Hotel Bunga Bunga
Jalan Antara No.13-15, Pasar Baru, Jakarta, Indonesia 10710

http://bungabungagroup.com/

I am reliably informed that bunga bunga has a different meaning in Indonesia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.