Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: LOTS
We fly that route twice a year on the 380 if we're unable to snag direct CPT. 51 is quiet, with prompt service & you have easy access to the HUGE loo which is situated at the top of the stairwell down to F. However, the loo is so far forward that you're not aware of it in the cabin.

Avoid 50 like the plague, they are terrible seats.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
I managed to bag the last UD CW window seat - 58A.

I prefer UD due to the extra space but I hate stepping over the aisle seat like a gazelle.

15K is available downstairs.

So what would you guys recommend? Stick to the UD or go to the end of the LD?

Thanks
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
UD for sure.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC, Hilton Gold
Hi there –Apologies if these questions have already been asked -I skipped through the 50-odd pages and couldn't find answers, so here goes…

Family of 4 (kids are 8 & 11) flying A380 to SFO in CW. Kids have not flown LH before. Thinking of seat allocation but cost is making my eyes water. OH wants me to swallow the cost and do this now (we don’t fly until next March) but I was wondering if anyone had experience of this. Questions are:

1. If we don’t buy seats, I understand that BA will try to put us together – but is that the reality on the ground?
2. Given 1 above, should I just stop being a tight-arse and buy the seats?
3. If we splash out (or get lucky at T-24), would something like 51A/B and 52A/B on the UD be ok or would 4 seats together on the main deck (e.g. 11 D/E/F/G) be better?
4. Any other (seat) suggestions?

Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by JonTY1
Hi there –Apologies if these questions have already been asked -I skipped through the 50-odd pages and couldn't find answers, so here goes…

Family of 4 (kids are 8 & 11) flying A380 to SFO in CW. Kids have not flown LH before. Thinking of seat allocation but cost is making my eyes water. OH wants me to swallow the cost and do this now (we don’t fly until next March) but I was wondering if anyone had experience of this. Questions are:

1. If we don’t buy seats, I understand that BA will try to put us together – but is that the reality on the ground?
2. Given 1 above, should I just stop being a tight-arse and buy the seats?
3. If we splash out (or get lucky at T-24), would something like 51A/B and 52A/B on the UD be ok or would 4 seats together on the main deck (e.g. 11 D/E/F/G) be better?
4. Any other (seat) suggestions?

Thanks
Hello,

This will solve all your problems.. Let OH buy the seats and then you're set!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tattikat2
Hello,

This will solve all your problems.. Let OH buy the seats and then you're set!
Ha ha! I'll put forward your suggestion

Has anyone got a seat recommendation in CW for a family of 4? Are the main deck middle 4 ok or would 2 pairs on the UD be more of an experience?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by mikekelley
UD for sure.
Thanks, will leave it as it is then (unless a better seat on UD opens up).
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by rphilippe
Hello,

Quick question about seating in First on the A380 to LAX.

I heard that 1A and 1K are not the best, and I currently have a wide open cabin for seat selection.

Would anyone recommend either 2A or 2K?

Or somewhere else instead?

Many thanks
Originally Posted by phol
Rows 2 and 3 are fine. Row 4 is a bit too close to the galley whilst Row 1 is right next to the toilet and crew cupboards.
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
All seats in F on the 380 are very good, but if you're travelling on your own and want some privacy, I would actually recommend 1A or K. I know people comment on the proximity to the toilet, but you're going to get toilet traffic in any seat. The only difference in 2A is that you won't have the person in 1A walking past you, so it really doesn't make a difference. The huge advantage of 1A and K is that you have nobody across the aisle, so it is very private.

If you're travelling with a partner the middle seats are excellent as they allow you to feel like you're travelling together, but still have you're own space. Also, if you watch the same film and sync your screens perfectly, you can watch each other's screens during take off and landing
Originally Posted by dcbfencing
1K has enough wardrobe noise to bother me.
I have selected 1A on an upcoming flight and the flight map is completely open in First. Is this a fairly private seat for a solo traveller?

What is the wardrobe noise in 1K? Is there a coat closet next to 1K?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I have selected 1A on an upcoming flight and the flight map is completely open in First. Is this a fairly private seat for a solo traveller?

What is the wardrobe noise in 1K? Is there a coat closet next to 1K?
Sat in 1K to SIN. There were (I think) three separate closet / cupboards right next to 1K. Think they're where the crew but their hat holders / bags etc. Before take off and a while into flight people were in and out of them all the time, the CSD then came over and said apologies for the noise, and to let her know if it was a disturbance. Not sure if the movements stopped, or I didn't hear in sleep but did not notice again!

As others have noted, all noises are louder in this quiet cabin; snoring from others particularly so!
Old May 1, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
A very helpful thread, first A-380 flight this weekend, in CW.

58K outbound, 58K return.

56A is available--is that preferable? - I noted from the wiki that 56B, the aisle, has a barrier, and on the seat map, that barrier looks like a bassinet.
Old May 11, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Hello,

Should I change my booking on HKG-LHR so that in 10K in A380 or should I stick with 13K on that B777-200?

Also do they have the latest AVOD system on the B777 I.e. With that 16:9 screen?

Also is B777 than bad comparing to A380 in J?
Old May 20, 2015, 12:04 am

Hi All,
Next week I will be flying from LAX to Heathrow on this beautiful plane but with a terrified flyer. I have done everything I can think of to make the experience non-terrifying but if any of you guys have any suggestions about what seats to sit in I would greatly appreciate your advice. Right now I have seats booked that are by the very top/back galley because I thought it might comfort here to hear the flight attendants talking but I am open to other suggestions. I know the back might also be bad for turbulence.

Any thoughts?
Old May 20, 2015, 1:41 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by amelias
Next week I will be flying from LAX to Heathrow on this beautiful plane but with a terrified flyer. I have done everything I can think of to make the experience non-terrifying but if any of you guys have any suggestions about what seats to sit in I would greatly appreciate your advice. Right now I have seats booked that are by the very top/back galley because I thought it might comfort here to hear the flight attendants talking but I am open to other suggestions. I know the back might also be bad for turbulence.
Depends on what the fear is.

If claustrophobia, then a window seat to look out of.

If fear of a crash, then minimize vibrations ("turbulence"); that means sitting in the middle of the plane's lenght, ie, in the front economy section.

How would she feel about a sleeping pill?
Old May 20, 2015, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by amelias
Hi All,

Any thoughts?
I would sit as close to the wings (less movement), and as high up (quiet) as possible. It's a quiet aircraft anyway but you can barely notice the engines/flap noises from certain seats.

It's also exceptionally smooth. I don't want to tempt fate but i've flown double figures on the A380 and have never known it crash about in turbulence like other aircraft, it just rocks a bit.
Old May 20, 2015, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by JonTY1
Ha ha! I'll put forward your suggestion

Has anyone got a seat recommendation in CW for a family of 4? Are the main deck middle 4 ok or would 2 pairs on the UD be more of an experience?
Hi, we're a family of four and flew back from the US at Easter on the UD of the 380. I would absolutely encourage you to a) pre-book your seats, especially if your OH is willing to pay, and b) take x2 lots of pairs rather than a 4 downstairs.

Your kids are old enough to not need constant surveillance and they will enjoy being closer to the windows and you'll enjoy the extra storage the bins give you. Enjoy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.