Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Pass Checks by Cabin Crew

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Boarding Pass Checks by Cabin Crew

I did a quick run to the Isle of Man lately and noticed that cabin crew were entirely not interested in looking at boarding passes on both segments. I was wondering if this was down to a different (Manx) regulatory regime for the operating carrier (Eastern Airways on behalf of BA Cityflyer) or if it was just something cabin crew had overlooked.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
An oversight I'm sure. I've had my boarding pass scrutinised on that route. Moreover, at LCY it is actually a very good thing to do, it is just about possible to take a wrong turn there and end up at the incorrect aircraft.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I am sure this has been asked before but is this a CAA requirement or just BA policy? I am always ready with my BP but in the US, f/a's aren't interested in having a look and whilst I can understand the LCY comment, I can't imagine many pax making it past gate etc and ending up on the wrong flight?

It's nice to be greeted by name and if nothing else, think it's a good way of the crew familiarising themselves with their pax (especially premium) but just wondering whether it's a requirement or a policy BA has adopted.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I doubt that BPs should be ignored, in fact on a recent trip (AMS) I saw a young lady with a 'BP' on a tablet who was being told that it was a screen shot not a BP , therefore she would not be allowed on board until she had the proper BP.....
How she managed to get as far as the door of the aircraft is beyond me....she had to go back and get one ..at the gate (?).
In the distant past (1987) I DID get on the wrong plane, luckily I realised my mistake before the doors closed , much to the embarrassment of all.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:45 am
Suspended

I find BA to be one of the most consistent airline where the crew double checks the BP upon boarding.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
CAA requirement for UK airlines I believe.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by missdimeaner
I doubt that BPs should be ignored, in fact on a recent trip (AMS) I saw a young lady with a 'BP' on a tablet who was being told that it was a screen shot not a BP , therefore she would not be allowed on board until she had the proper BP.....
How she managed to get as far as the door of the aircraft is beyond me....she had to go back and get one ..at the gate (?)
Err ... if the barcode scans correctly at the gate, and brings up the correct pax's details, who actually cares whether it's a screenshot of a BP, a photocopy of a BP, a piece of paper coloured-in with charcoals to look like a BP, or ... err ... an actual BP?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Err ... if the barcode scans correctly at the gate, and brings up the correct pax's details, who actually cares whether it's a screenshot of a BP, a photocopy of a BP, a piece of paper coloured-in with charcoals to look like a BP, or ... err ... an actual BP?
Urmm what's stopping someone just photoshop a BP and show it on the tablet? I guess the whole mobile BP open up to some very imaginative ways to override the system
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by correctioncx
Urmm what's stopping someone just photoshop a BP and show it on the tablet? I guess the whole mobile BP open up to some very imaginative ways to override the system
Not unless you can also hack into the airline systems to insert a new booking / info to go along with the faked barcode / info.

No different to PYOBP - and no reason why you shouldn't be able to use a screenshot.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Not unless you can also hack into the airline systems to insert a new booking / info to go along with the faked barcode / info.

No different to PYOBP - and no reason why you shouldn't be able to use a screenshot.
They objected to it on this flight !
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Never had any issues with crew not checking my boarding pass. All will be checked. So maybe it was done before you boarded and confirmed?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
They objected to it on this flight !
Oh I didn't mean to suggest otherwise - just that I can't see any logical reason why they would!

I've also had the odd crew member who insists on swiping the screen of my phone - what they are trying to prove (and more to the point why), I have no idea; especially as we were told on here some time ago that a crew circular specifically told them to stop doing it!

FWIW - I today flew DUB-GLA on EI using a screenshot of my QR-code boarding pass (wasn't keen roaming data charges). Funnily enough, it scanned just fine!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Isn't the IOM service operated by Eastern Airways on BA's behalf with 50 seat Saab 200 aircraft? I don't know if this changes anything in regards to CAA policies as the are UK based as well.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by crisdean
Never had any issues with crew not checking my boarding pass. All will be checked. So maybe it was done before you boarded and confirmed?
Under CAA regs, crew have to check BPs upon entering the aircraft.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, M&M SEN, EK Gold
LCY - IOM

As a regular on this flight (you can tell from the name I guess), I have always had my boarding pass checked when inboard, but increasingly both BA and FlyMaybe (same handling agent I believe) at the IoM seem to be lax in checking photo ID at the gate. In the last 6 trips it has been 50/50.

Manx flyer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.