Boarding Pass Checks by Cabin Crew

Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Manx Flyer
As a regular on this flight (you can tell from the name I guess), I have always had my boarding pass checked when inboard, but increasingly both BA and FlyMaybe (same handling agent I believe) at the IoM seem to be lax in checking photo ID at the gate. In the last 6 trips it has been 50/50.

Manx flyer.
Would BA want their ground staff checking photo ID on this route? Like JER it's 'sorta domestic' so I can't see BA wanting to check ID at the gate.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:37 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
It is a UK CAA regulation for all airlines that operate under their rules, which applies to UK airlines.

This was brought in by the CAA after 9/11, at the same time they brought in the rules about the flight deck door having to be locked during the flight.

The boarding cards on mobile devices have to be created by the Boarding pass app, copies of the printable boarding passes are not allowed to be used.
As crew we have to check the date, flight number and that it has the square barcode as opposed to the long barcode found on a printed boarding pass.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:34 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by layz
Would BA want their ground staff checking photo ID on this route? Like JER it's 'sorta domestic' so I can't see BA wanting to check ID at the gate.
+1 ^
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
The boarding cards on mobile devices have to be created by the Boarding pass app, copies of the printable boarding passes are not allowed to be used.
As crew we have to check the date, flight number and that it has the square barcode as opposed to the long barcode found on a printed boarding pass.
I get that. What I don't understand is why it can't be a screenshot of the mobile BP (and why crew sometimes insist on taking your phone and swiping it to prove this). I can't see how a screenshot of a mobile bp is any different to a pyobp.

It's much quicker to access a photo than the app.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:10 am

...err, anyone happen to know why screenshots aren't OK? If Apple's 'Passbook' app is OK for storing BPs, why isn't a screenshot?

When I get a mobile BP from Lufthansa it's a barcode and some text in an bog-standard email. Neither LH nor their crew care what email client I used to open the email and display it, so I'm 99% sure a screenshot of the email including the barcode would be just fine.

Some airlines/airports go for K.I.S.S., and things work, yet it seems in the UK / at BA / at HAL those in charge just can't resist applying the gold plating ...
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
I used the Passbook BP for the first time today - I really like it.. one swipe on the home screen and it's there!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:26 am

With regard to why the screen shot is not OK, is something you will have to ask BA.

I was just confirming that we can't accept them but I an afraid I don't know the reason.

There is a thread about the BA APP and a BA technical representative monitors it, so you could post your question on there and he may be able to answer it for you.

As I have mentioned before, there is no need for crew to touch the screen and this should not be happening. BA have been reminding crew of this, so hopefully you won't get crew trying to do this too often from now on.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by layz
Flew to JER a few weeks ago. BP was checked but they had no interest in checking photo id.

As for the mobile BP, I've started using them recently and find that they work really well. It's one less piece of paper to lose. I have had the crew scrolling my phone but it doesn't bother me. I assumed it was so that they could check the whole BP.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

A little funny story about BP's for those who may not have read it.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01
A little funny story about BP's for those who may not have read it.
That must have been great fun!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

That must have been great fun!
Indeed. You'd be lost for words I'd imagine if someone handed that over to you on boarding!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Genius1
Under CAA regs, crew have to check BPs upon entering the aircraft.
I always found this to be particularly stupid in that it should theoretically be impossible to board without the correct card. But I was informed that some people still get on the wrong flight (not sure how this is done when you should be caught at the gate) or at least that is the stated rationale.

Somehow we manage to do without this nonsense across the pond.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I always found this to be particularly stupid in that it should theoretically be impossible to board without the correct card. But I was informed that some people still get on the wrong flight (not sure how this is done when you should be caught at the gate) or at least that is the stated rationale.

I know it wasn't BA but there was that schoolgirl at Manchester than managed to get through security AND on board a Jet 2 aircraft without a boarding pass or passport...
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:01 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Manx Flyer
As a regular on this flight (you can tell from the name I guess), I have always had my boarding pass checked when inboard, but increasingly both BA and FlyMaybe (same handling agent I believe) at the IoM seem to be lax in checking photo ID at the gate. In the last 6 trips it has been 50/50.

Manx flyer.
BA don't check photo id on domestics
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I always found this to be particularly stupid in that it should theoretically be impossible to board without the correct card. (...)
Most "foreign" airlines also do without this nonsense when flying out of the UK! This is applied by airline, not by country of departure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.