Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Sign in using an external account

Old Jun 27, 13, 10:10 am   #1

Club Excl Within Uk (C) fare class

Obligatory apology for starting a new thread and obligatory plea that I did try and find an answer and a more suitable place to post…

I’m looking at LHR to ABZ flights; there is a fare class called “Club Excl Within Uk (C)
(Refundable)”.

Is (C) a “business/club” fare?

From what I remember, the A319 doesn’t actually have any sort of club seats. Furthermore the Economy (Y) (Refundable fare) is just under double the price of this C fare so why would someone book a more expensive Y fare compared to a refundable club fare?

When I use the Tier Point calculator from LHR to ABZ in Business/Club I get the message “Unfortunately, we cannot process your details until you amend the following errors:
-The class of travel that you have selected is not available on this route. Please select a different class of travel.” Which confuses me further.

How many TP would one get from this C class fare?

Cheers.
immunedata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 13, 10:11 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Gold, IHG Platinum, UA Gold, National Rail Gold, ABP
It's UK domestic class, 20 tier points. Probably a fare deal your company has.
Old Jun 27, 13, 10:29 am   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stifle View Post
It's UK domestic class, 20 tier points. Probably a fare deal your company has.
I guess that answers all of the above then - thanks.

Wasn't overly aware that discounts could be negotiated.

Cheers.
Old Jun 27, 13, 10:44 am   #4

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL), VS Gold, hotels.com silver
A 319s do have club europe, in that they block the middle seat and sometimes put up a curtain.

In the UK though, you don't get this. You can be on a fuly flex ticket in First class costing £10,000 from Glasgow to Joburg, and you can
* get a middle seat on the domestic leg
* avoid that by paying for an aisle seat
Old Jun 27, 13, 12:00 pm   #5

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, BD*S, BA Gold, KL, LH
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwuk View Post
A 319s do have club europe, in that they block the middle seat and sometimes put up a curtain.

In the UK though, you don't get this. You can be on a fuly flex ticket in First class costing £10,000 from Glasgow to Joburg, and you can
* get a middle seat on the domestic leg
* avoid that by paying for an aisle seat
If you're paying for an F or J fare with a domestic connection then you get free seat selection on the domestic legs regardless of status.
layz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 13, 12:39 pm   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, HH Dia, SPG Plat, IC RA, Amex Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by layz View Post
If you're paying for an F or J fare with a domestic connection then you get free seat selection on the domestic legs regardless of status.
No you don't.

I currently have my parents booked in F MAN-LHR-DXB and seat selection is only available for LHR-DXB.
Land-of-Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 13, 2:03 pm   #7

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
The Amadeus Description for J D C R and I fares is "Club except UK Domestic".

The fare hierarchy on UK Domestic is J/Y,D,C,B,H,K etc.

All of these are economy fares of course hence the need for the description above otherwise people would think is WAS Club.

I've always thought it was confusing and I've been doing it for 20 years now......
edi-traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 13, 2:36 pm   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edi-traveller View Post
The Amadeus Description for J D C R and I fares is "Club except UK Domestic".

The fare hierarchy on UK Domestic is J/Y,D,C,B,H,K etc.

All of these are economy fares of course hence the need for the description above otherwise people would think is WAS Club.

I've always thought it was confusing and I've been doing it for 20 years now......
On my company's website the C fare is labelled as business. It seems it's actually a somewhat flexible UK Domestic and offers 20TP - does it provide lounge access?
Old Jul 12, 13, 3:15 pm   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by immunedata View Post
On my company's website the C fare is labelled as business. It seems it's actually a somewhat flexible UK Domestic and offers 20TP - does it provide lounge access?
Yes. It's known as business UK, lounge access and flexibility are its benefits, there's no special cabin on board.

EDIT: actually it might just be J/Y that give lounge access.
Old Jul 12, 13, 3:18 pm   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
No you don't.

I currently have my parents booked in F MAN-LHR-DXB and seat selection is only available for LHR-DXB.
Are you referring to an Avios redemption? The redemption bucket on domestics does not count as a business UK fare and therefore doesn't have free seat selection (if you don't have status).

When I was blue and booked a CW ticket to JFK, I got seat selection on the domestic segment (booked into J class) and not the CW segmentt (booked into I class).

It also appears that paid WTP tickets also have the domestic book into J giving free seat selection on that segment.
Old Jul 13, 13, 2:17 am   #11

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin, SAS EB, AAdvantage, Hilton HHonours, SPG, Marriott Rewards, AVIS Preferred
Quote:
Originally Posted by immunedata View Post
Obligatory apology for starting a new thread and obligatory plea that I did try and find an answer and a more suitable place to post…

I’m looking at LHR to ABZ flights; there is a fare class called “Club Excl Within Uk (C)
(Refundable)”.

Is (C) a “business/club” fare?

From what I remember, the A319 doesn’t actually have any sort of club seats. Furthermore the Economy (Y) (Refundable fare) is just under double the price of this C fare so why would someone book a more expensive Y fare compared to a refundable club fare?

When I use the Tier Point calculator from LHR to ABZ in Business/Club I get the message “Unfortunately, we cannot process your details until you amend the following errors:
-The class of travel that you have selected is not available on this route. Please select a different class of travel.” Which confuses me further.

How many TP would one get from this C class fare?

Cheers.
I flew LHR - ABZ last tues on a C, I printed the boarding pass at T5. While it said C and also "Business" it was 10 points each way.
I flew the same route the previous week on a Y and that said "Business UK" on my home printed boarding pass. That was 20 points each way
Definitely no CE seats! and generally full!
vibrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 13, 2:37 am   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver | QR alumni
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
No you don't.

Quote:
Are you referring to an Avios redemption? The redemption bucket on domestics does not count as a business UK fare and therefore doesn't have free seat selection (if you don't have status).
It is definitely the case that passengers paying F or A fares get free seat selection on domestics unless they are travelling on separate tickets.

And it is certain that redemptions in Z do not get free seat selection on domestics.

But what about UUAs?
Old Jul 13, 13, 2:53 pm   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Gold, IHG Platinum, UA Gold, National Rail Gold, ABP
Anyone doing a UUA is most likely to be silver or better and get it free anyhow.
Old Jul 14, 13, 5:38 am   #14

Programs: BAEC Sepia Tinted (For now)
Club Excl Within Uk (C) fare class

Don't UUAs book into the redemption booking class in this case Z?

In which case the rules will be as per a full redemption.