Wiki Posts
Search

BA Long Haul J v Emirates J

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold, gha black
BA Long Haul J v Emirates J

Have flown a lot of J and F sectors with BA over the last year and two with Emirates... I love BA and in no way am biased one way or another, but the love of ones nations carrier can make us somewhat biased... After numerous travels and with only Emirates to benchmark it against as thats where i put my personal and business travel, i really feel from an inflight perspective, BA has dropped a long way behind... Why.

1) Aircraft - I flew on a Boeing 777-300 ER with Emirates. This is considered a luxury to fly on a -300 series on BA, with Emirates its standard. On BA its very often a 20y old plane. Yes, i know they are upgrading aircraft but...
2) TV - The Emirates screen is bigger than whats in BA First i think, with very good resolution. The BA J screen while good at inception is too small.
3) Choice of entertainment - The ICE system as a standard benchmark is far superior to BAs offering.
4) Food and Beverages - Far superior on Emirates from the two i had with them. Planeta Chardonnay served in J, a nice treat. J class champagne is better quality on Emirates.
5) Pillow - Simple thing, but you actually get a pillow, on BA its the version of an emirates economy cushion.
6) Amenities - A draw. BA wins here as on a day flight you dont get them with Emirates although they are available in the toilets, but the night flight amenities on Emirates are far better
7) Hot Towels - 3 hot flannels served during the flight.. On BA its a very cheap Emirates economy towel they dish out in J.
8) Mute point here and dont shoot me - Found the cabin crew far more pleasant on Emirates generally.
9) Comortability of sleeper seat - Again, Emirates had more padding in the seat i thought, and actually quite like the massage seat option.
10) Layout of seat. Preferred BAs and the divider unless you are stuck in the middle two seats on J which isnt great if you are next to someone you dont know.

While i will maintain BA Gold this year again, i will seek other alternatives to see whats out there going forward as you never know, you may be pleasantly suprised with what others offer.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Blue
You also forget a great benefit of Emirates J - free car service if its useful.

The main other plus I've seen is that Emirates has always been a lot cheaper than flying BA.

Downsides are that the FF program is awful.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Executive club Gold ,Skywards
Yes but isn't Emirates cash rich compared to BA?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Sorry but I thought EK does not have flatbeds on the 777? Only on the 380?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by correctioncx
Sorry but I thought EK does not have flatbeds on the 777? Only on the 380?
A significant majority of EK's 777s have the flat beds. The old ones used not to but most have been refurbished with the flat beds except the regional ones and a few of the remaining long haul ones. All A380s have the flat bed.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The 777s have a flat bed but it is not horizontal

The 380s have a horizontally flat bed, plus every seat has access to the aisle without the need to step over another passenger

On a 380, I would rate item 10 in the OP's list as being definitely a win for EK
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by WouldLoveToFlyFirst

Downsides are that the FF program is awful.
That depends on the type of travel. I think BA's scheme is pretty awful but find EK's pretty decent. The earnings on paid 1st class on EK are pretty decent imo
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Dave Noble - yes it does depend on the type of travel. I guess with the vast majority of people on this board based in the UK, myself included, then the Emirates program is useless for those wanting to fly to USA / Europe from the UK using miles.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by WouldLoveToFlyFirst
Dave Noble - yes it does depend on the type of travel. I guess with the vast majority of people on this board based in the UK, myself included, then the Emirates program is useless for those wanting to fly to USA / Europe from the UK using miles.
That it may not be idea for you doesn't make it an awful programme though
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
An additional benefit of Emirates is the astonishing new J lounge at Dubai. It is vast - I mean really vast - and exceptionally comfortable, with food that beats the Flounge by miles. There are four main buffet areas, each with two sets of food, plus two additional (more limited) buffets in the quiet lounges. The staff there are lovely too.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jasensteve
Yes but isn't Emirates cash rich compared to BA?
UAE is cash rich, but BA's money is their own and they are free to spend it how they please to maximise profits (whether in the short or long term is down to management). EK may be burdened with restrictive or bureaucratic government procurement requirements which could inhibit product and service development as well as enhance it.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
EK really took advantage of the arrival of the 380 to upgrade the J hard product including the bar at the back of the business cabin....great marketing and strategic thinking and a great way to fly from LHR since all EK flights are now on the 380.

BA really has wasted a chance not to refresh its product on the 380 and regain its position as one of thr market leaders.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:30 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Can't wait for my EK flights to and from the Dubai Do next week (out in F, back in J) . Day flights both ways on the A380, with a limo at both ends of both flights.

I still get excited about flying EK, something that I lost a long time ago with BA unfortunately.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
UAE is cash rich, but BA's money is their own and they are free to spend it how they please to maximise profits (whether in the short or long term is down to management).
Depends on BA's fuel futures in reality.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:41 pm

Each to their own. You dont mention the car service which for me is the biggest selling point, and the amenity kit imo is far, far superior to the paltry effort BA give you. On the other hand, Emirates food is too rich, the cabin decor is just awful and the seat layout is weird.

I do think BA has dropped a long way behind certain airlines, but EK is not one of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.