Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA abandon pax at VCE

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by tuff
Addressing the specific point about medication: I never pack my medication into the hold as my bag has gone missing too often and I always have several days' worth of tablets etc in my hand luggage. Even when carrying needles (a rare event now fortunately) I also have a letter from the hospital explaining why I have to carry them.

Otherwise the VCE situation was handled very badly by all parties.
A fair point but if you were homeward bound then you would have replacement meds there, no? I would surmise that the thinking would be that they would be home in a short time so no harm putting things in hold baggage. They are also not FT'ers so they could be one of those rare beasts who haven't had an airline lise their bags
Old May 30, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Not really surprising given my encounters with the BA ground staff at VCE.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
Very poor

You have to feel for the passengers, they didn't bargain for this.

What shabby treatment by an airline.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
British Airways used to be an airline of excellence with employees who served their customers proudly. Now it is a poor example of a western airline that provides poor service with an arrogant attitude toward its customers.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:23 am

Same happened to me on the same flight last Summer

I experienced the same delay on the same flight with BA last Summer out of Venice. We were totally abandoned by BA without a word of explanation or apology and complete lack of information provided to passengers was appalling.
BA eventually coughed up EU compensation but only after a lengthy battle and some fairly heated email to customer services. I also rec'd 20,000 Avios points which I'm sill to use....
Old May 30, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clearedforlanding
Not really surprising given my encounters with the BA ground staff at VCE.
Really? I have had only good experiences with the BA staff at VCE.

The "no hotel rooms" claim is very dubious- the nearby cities of both Treviso and Padova not to mention the area around Pordenone easily had enough hotel rooms this week to serve even a 747- and all of these cities are less than 1 hour on the Autostrada which runs right in front of the airport.

I am really surprised at this whole story.

I wouldn't waste any times filing a legal claim in Italy by the way- the court system is already backlogged for years and years.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SouthOxon
It's a pretty grim place to be even when flights are operating normally.
The new VCE airport grim? As compared to- where?

VCE is a great airport with a lot of facilities considering it only served 7 mio pax last year.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No. Let's assume the worst, including the clearcut fact that BA and VCE airport management conspired to strand pax at a time when there were no hotels available. Let us stick with terms such as "abandon" to describe a major airport at a major city in Western Europe.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:49 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
It was a temporary state caused by my accidental double-posting.
Thanks for confirming. I thought it was old age and poor eyesight. The fact that it disappeared merely confirmed it.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
British Airways used to be an airline of excellence with employees who served their customers proudly. Now it is a poor example of a western airline that provides poor service with an arrogant attitude toward its customers.
+1
Old May 30, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
Not always; it can give superb service.

However, this shouldn't have happened but should have been anticipated earlier in the day, by the looks. Very poor. Bad attitude to customers.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Ah, that's the British way...stay stoic, carry on and forget all of the distractions around you!
Old May 30, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I've never heard of an airline completely abandoning passengers. That's pretty crazy. I hope they're well-compensated and re-routed to their final destinations.
Old May 30, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: Back down to BA Blue
BA abandon pax at VCE

I recently had a poor experience at BLQ (13/05)- although fortunately wasn't abandoned overnight- but I primarily blame the airport contractors as there was no communication for 7 hours, not even to announce the refreshments voucher they gave out (I saw other pax walking off with them so managed to get one for myself). I took matters into my own hands and called the silver line after 5 hours and got one of the last seats on the later flight, and was lucky enough to speak to a helpful lady who phoned me back to tell me my original flight was cancelled well before it was finally announced.

I felt very sorry for those pax who didn't have access to the silver line and who were trying to find out what was happening from the airport contractors - the only announcement that was made was that people should collect their baggage. This meant the check-in queue for the later flight was even worse than usual as people were trying to find our what was happening. I assume they eventually got to a hotel and back the next day, but I was very relieved not to have to deal with the ground staff any longer.

I have received my eu261 cheque (and was telling other pax to claim for it) and am waiting for a reply re the phone charges I am asking to be refunded and my complaints about treatment....

Anyway, long story but given how poor the contractors were at BLQ, I have every sympathy with those stranded in Venice as ground staff just didn't care and didn't feel any responsibility. We didn't see the crew at any point either, so they may not have been able to intervene in Venice.
Old May 30, 2013, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
Presumably as the cabin crew were also forced to sleep on the floor this will become a union issue too.
I didn't catch the part where it says that the cabin crew were also stuck overnight in VCE with the passengers. Could it be that they flew back to LGW with the cockpit crew? That would be the cherry on the pie, wouldn't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.