BA is too expensive ..

Old May 7, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
erm, just like BA have 9 across in the 777? I think the pinch point is 10 across (as BA tried and then retreated from & KLM seem to have)
Err yes sorry. I meant 10 across
Old May 7, 2013, 4:05 pm

I've just booked a BA DXB-NCL which was 40% cheaper than KLM's best available fare.

Should I infer that KLM is always grossly over-priced?

Old May 7, 2013, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
50% saving surely - 100% saving would make a nice free flight
Starting from the KLM price, the savings made by avoiding BA was indeed 100% (aka: why pay twice the price [200%] to fly BA?)

I'm just surprised EK/EY weren't cheaper still.

Originally Posted by tmac-100
Hopefully, there will be a pay-for-entrance lounge in AMS...
There is/are, but you'd be better off spending the lounge admission charge in one of the restaurants, and exploring the airport.
Old May 7, 2013, 4:13 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by continentalclub
I've just booked a BA DXB-NCL which was 40% cheaper than KLM's best available fare.

Should I infer that KLM is always grossly over-priced?

How much was Emirates?
Old May 7, 2013, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by andset1191
How much was Emirates?
50 more than KLM....
Old May 7, 2013, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Starting from the KLM price, the savings made by avoiding BA was indeed 100% (aka: why pay twice the price [200%] to fly BA?)
Umm, no, the saving was 50%

If 100% saving was made then the price would be free

KL was twice of the price of BA => KL was half the price of BA

If A costs $100 and B costs $50 then the saving of buying B over A is 50%

1% of $100 = 1
50% of $100 = $50
100% of $100 = $100
Old May 7, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Umm, no, the saving was 50%

If 100% saving was made then the price would be free

KL was twice of the price of BA => KL was half the price of BA

If A costs $100 and B costs $50 then the saving of buying B over A is 50%

1% of $100 = 1
50% of $100 = $50
100% of $100 = $100
I love calculations

But A is 100% more than B, yes?

I too would hesitate to pay the double fare for a flight. I would of course consider Avios earned and maybe lounge access. Also, terminals used. But yes, if KL can fly me to a destination for 50% less, I would probably take it.
Old May 7, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
BA often are I'm afraid. My PA today priced up my regular LHR-VIE-LHR flight and BA were around 450 in Y and LH / OS were circa 290.

Pretty much identical flight timings too, departures both ways being within 40 minutes of each other. Sorry BA, not this time
I smiled at this.

You are making a very fair point, but I had just been looking at booking a train ticket from Birmingham to Newcastle in a months time. The price of a First Class return ticket is 414, if I travel early morning and return at tea time. That certainly makes London to Vienna at 450 look great value!
Old May 7, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by whiskerxx
I smiled at this.

You are making a very fair point, but I had just been looking at booking a train ticket from Birmingham to Newcastle in a months time. The price of a First Class return ticket is 414, if I travel early morning and return at tea time. That certainly makes London to Vienna at 450 look great value!
Ah the vagaries of travel pricing game !
In the US sometimes costs $ 280 to fly 2 hours vs. costs $ 258 to fly 4 hours. Go figure .
Old May 7, 2013, 11:47 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Having to transfer anyway, I really don't see the problem here bar the lack of being able to utilise the silver card that must be a bit annoying.

At half the price (I'd say it was a 50% saving whilst BA were 100% more in that debate!) and with a transfer at AMS as opposed to inter terminal at LHR, without the BAEC implications, any other decision than KL, would be madness

The savings will by you something far nicer in AMS than you can get in the Club lounge at LHR too, so basically it's only the double miles you're missing out on
Old May 8, 2013, 1:06 am

Prices can and do fluctuate on a daily basis as the quote below from another thread (BA) confirms.

Originally Posted by chance88088
Looking at the BA site this morning CW from LHR to Bos was pricing at 2000/person - about 600 less than when I was looking at it yesterday.
Old May 8, 2013, 1:33 am

As a new arrival to BA and One World - I find BA very expensive. I think there's an element of luck (or bad luck) as I generally got to SEA and BA seem to be quite weak in this area.

Clearly thier pricing works or they'd be bust.
Old May 8, 2013, 2:30 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by lizban

Clearly thier pricing works or they'd be bust.
That's the key of course. They know their loads and what it will bear. Frustrating at times though when I would like to give BA my business but the cost difference is so big.

However they are clearly confident they will sell seats at a premium to others as an airline seat is the ultimate perishable commodity...they can't keep it in stock and sell it the next day.
Old May 8, 2013, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
At the beginning of last week BA was lowest in price, then something happened and their price went UP!!! Hence the change ...

My traveling companion is more frugal than I am and even though I do subsidize her airfare so she sits beside me in WT+, this rise in BA pricing is too much.

Besides, there are some other positives namely we can look at the art work in AMS, and if need be, purchase a couple of seats in some lounge in AMS if needed and still have a LOT left over....

Gotta have peace and harmony as we are going on a 6 week trip together around Eire, and getting huffy over airfare prices just ain't gonna happen with me -and with her.

Besides, the money saved will pay for a lot of Guinness :-)
Old May 8, 2013, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by tmac100
Besides, there are some other positives namely we can look at the art work in AMS, and if need be, purchase a couple of seats in some lounge in AMS if needed and still have a LOT left over....
Don't purchase lounge access in AMS! The pay per use lounges (Servisair I think) in AMS are awful and there's a lot of places to eat and drink in Schiphol so use your money in one of those. It's a pleasant enough space to spend a few hours if you avoid the contract lounges, it's certainly a lot nicer than LHR T3/T1.

The KLM lounges are OK, but I don't think you can pay to get in those. KLM allow FB silver (equiv to BA bronze) members to pay to get in, but if you have no KLM status then their lounges are out of bounds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.