Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Sign in using an external account

Old Apr 17, 13, 11:30 am   #1

Programs: Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program out there!
Special Meals in J / F?

What is the latest regarding special meals in J/F?

I have just booked my parents LHR-BOM (CW) & BOM - LHR (F). Both are vegetarians and I have selected Asian Vegetarian meals for both sectors. Is it that they will get first dibs on the veggie options off the menu?

As its a flight to and from India, I am guessing that a curry / rice option is the veggie option anyway.
Old Apr 17, 13, 11:41 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3vski View Post

I have just booked my parents LHR-BOM (CW) & BOM - LHR (F). Both are vegetarians and I have selected Asian Vegetarian meals for both sectors. Is it that they will get first dibs on the veggie options off the menu?

As its a flight to and from India, I am guessing that a curry / rice option is the veggie option anyway.
I can't comment on F, but in J, they are separately catered with a specific tray, main course and pudding. Of course, we can try and accommodate a request for something else, but it would be if there were anything left after everyone else's selection. Especially as something like an Asian Veg meal which is quite specific, so not as easy to give to someone else.

Quite often, in terms of main service tray/starter, we are only catered to the booked load. So, even if they are able to change the main course if there is something left, they may have to stick to their starter.

As I say, F service, I am not sure.
Old Apr 17, 13, 11:48 am   #3

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3vski View Post

They will have special Vegitarian food loaded for them.

If you want them to choose off the menu it is usually best not to order a special meal. On flights to India there are always Vegitarian options on the menu, normally some kind of Vegitarian curry.

If for example they order two special meals, and there are fourteen passengers in total in First, then because your parents have ordered special food, the loading of other First Class food will just be for 12 passengers.

There may well be vegitarian options left after other passengers have chosen but your parents won't be able to order off the menu straight away if they have specialy requested a Vegitarian be loaded for them.

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 17, 13, 11:50 am   #4

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
BBB you are too quick!!
Old Apr 17, 13, 12:00 pm   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlegirl View Post
BBB you are too quick!!
I am not an RSA typist for nothing!
Old Apr 17, 13, 12:19 pm   #6

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
They will only get a choice off the menu after all other customers have chosen and it's the same in First and CW, saying that I think our AVMLs are very nice.
Old Apr 17, 13, 12:49 pm   #7

Programs: AA EXP
I never order a VGML in CW and have been pretty happy with the regular vegetarian option.
Zaynab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 13, 1:09 pm   #8

asian veg meal is usually a pretty bland rice dish but ok.

in F they serve the same meal to you if 'special order' - i once got carrots and boiled carrots (in F, seriously!) even the purser was embarrassed to serve this to me and i choose the pasta veggie option from the snacks menu which was still basic but better than the carrot option! (oh i should say this was a standard veg meal not an asian in this instance)

My advice; stick with the asian veg outbound, and contact YouFirst a few weeks before your inbound flight, they will be able to send you a pdf of the First menu, you can choose something and if nothing suitable then order the asian veg meal (which i think you have to do at least 72 hours before flight)
GavT_london is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 13, 1:51 pm   #9

Programs: Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program out there!
Thanks for the replies.

I don't think I'll take a chance. I will keep the AVML options on their booking. I will definitely see what YouFirst have to say for the inbound and on top of that, Asian Vegetarian from an Ex-India flight should be good.

Lets face, if there is one nation that understands Asian Vegeterian, then it's got to be India!
Old Apr 17, 13, 2:18 pm   #10

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I'm not Asian but I think we do better Asian food from LHR, lets face it there are as many Indians in our catering centre as there are in catering centres in India.
Old Apr 17, 13, 2:24 pm   #11

Programs: BAEC GGL, Flying club gold, Centurion
Agree with GavT_london's advice. As a vegetarian who flies this route this is the best option, unless your parents definitely want Indian food in which case order the special meal both ways.
uksushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 13, 3:02 pm   #12

Programs: BAEC Gold
If the OP doesn't order the AVML (which is normally very nice), its well worth finding the CSD as soon as possible and asking him/her to reserve one of the veggie meals from the standard menu. I've been in the position where I've eaten cheese for dinner because I forgot to order an AVML and all the veggie meals had gone. Of course, this shouldn't happen to a Gold, but there ya go!
rodavici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 13, 11:56 pm   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodavici View Post
I've been in the position where I've eaten cheese for dinner because I forgot to order an AVML and all the veggie meals had gone. Of course, this shouldn't happen to a Gold, but there ya go!
That would make me steam , I often change flighst <24 hours before departure and don't get the opportunity to order a special meal, I have always mangaged to have the CC reshuffle orders. For me its times like this where being a high tier member of BAEC brings advantages. You must be a much more patiant person than I am.

BTW not sure about how good the AVML really is, I persoanlly think they are better and more consistant than the poor show that the usual lacto-ovo vegetarian meal usually is for sure.
Old Apr 18, 13, 2:27 am   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksushi View Post
That would make me steam , I often change flighst <24 hours before departure and don't get the opportunity to order a special meal, I have always mangaged to have the CC reshuffle orders. For me its times like this where being a high tier member of BAEC brings advantages. You must be a much more patiant person than I am.

BTW not sure about how good the AVML really is, I persoanlly think they are better and more consistant than the poor show that the usual lacto-ovo vegetarian meal usually is for sure.
How do you know that there were not a lot of Gold Card holders on this flight.

I don't know how many Vegitarian options they carry on longhaul flights now but I doubt it is a high percentage compared to the other options. So my advice would always be it is best to let the cabin crew know, as early as possible, if you have a dietary need rather relying on being the first to be served because you are a Gold Card Holder. We can have 10+ Gold Card Holders easily on some flights.
Old Apr 18, 13, 3:01 am   #15

Sure its a possibility there are 10+ GCH on a flight but what's the probability of them all going for the vegetarian option too? You would fairly presume most GCH who had a dietry requirement would have pre-ordered a special meal as a default in their prefrences. You're right the probablility is more than zero but I do think it's very slim.

Your advice is correct, we should mention it asap to aviod the problematic situation.