Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What to expect of BA if missed connection on 2 separate BA tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
CCR can adjust a booking once airside, however the best place is actually the Customer Service desk in Galleries Club South.
Hi cws. I rarely have ticketing needs in T5, but would like to hear more about this. I've used the GF cust service desk for a couple of simple changes like op-ups or seat changes but I seem to remember when I had a real issue I had to go out of the lounge.

Why is GC South preferable?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, AClub Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Silver, SPG, others

I have a similar situation on Dec 26: flying into LHR T1 from DUB on a paid flight in CE (inflexible ticket class-MMB upgrade). Connecting to HKG in CW on a redemption (241) in T5 that evening. I have exactly 4hrs to connect if everything on time. I'm hoping with the numerous BA and EI flights DUB-LHR, there shouldn't be a problem even if there is disruption. My o/h is coming from Paris same day to meet me for the HKG flight. We are weighing up the relative merits of Eurostar ORY and CDG to connect, CDG being the 'safest' due to the number of flights. Does anyone have experience of being re-accommodated on the short-haul portion in these situations? I'm guessing they would be reluctant to move me to an EI codeshare flight in this scenario?
Old May 14, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Previously with my ex-eu flights from Brussels, I have chosen Eurostar to position myself. I haven't worried about delays etc as there are later trains that I could catch and still make it in time.

However, the next trip, I have chosen to fly LHR BRU - Friday evening 8pm leaving LHR (the last flight). This is an avios booking.

The main trip is the first flight out of BRU the next day at 645am to LHR, then catching the 9.55 am flight to JFK.

So, a couple of questions - can I check bags at LHR the night before and collect at JFK ?

Also, what would BA do, if the 8pm LHR BRU was cancelled and I missed getting to BRU. Would they let me check in at LHR the next day to go to JFK?

Surely BA would let me check in at LHR, if they cancelled my positioning flight ?

I don't think they would let me check bags though the night before ?
Old May 14, 2014, 5:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
I don't think they would let me check bags though the night before ?
No, that can't be done, not at LHR or LCY (it can at LGW and EDI however).

Formally you're potentially in difficulty if BA cancel the outbound (highly unlikely since the impact of that service being cancelled is quite significant). However there are cases where BA have allowed people to board at LHR in the scenario where the inbound was cancelled (and isn't it the same aircraft?). After all, you could have got advance warning and taken the Eurostar or car ferry to get to LHR, or indeed just used another airline. In that situation BA definitely would reinstate your journey, albeit it results in the poor agent having to type War and Peace into GDS.

I wouldn't worry, it's a relatively safe protection you've put in place there. Other than that if you're serious about this you should be hand luggage only - you are a Gold cardholder for goodness sake!

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; May 14, 2014 at 5:07 am Reason: clarification on inbound
Old May 14, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC
I'd expect to find another outbound flight on another carrier.

This happened to me a few years ago and BA categorically refused to allow a check in for the 'main' ticket from LHR. Ended up going to STN and taking a LCC. Bit of a sh*g but one of those risks with ex EU.
Old May 14, 2014, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No, that can't be done, not at LHR or LCY (it can at LGW and EDI however).

Formally you're potentially in difficulty if BA cancel the outbound (highly unlikely since the impact of that service being cancelled is quite significant). However there are cases where BA have allowed people to board at LHR in the scenario where the inbound was cancelled (and isn't it the same aircraft?). After all, you could have got advance warning and taken the Eurostar or car ferry to get to LHR, or indeed just used another airline. In that situation BA definitely would reinstate your journey, albeit it results in the poor agent having to type War and Peace into GDS.

I wouldn't worry, it's a relatively safe protection you've put in place there. Other than that if you're serious about this you should be hand luggage only - you are a Gold cardholder for goodness sake!
thanks!

Alas, I have tried hand baggage before but can only manage a trip of 5 days max. After that I need a checked bag...... I know.... I know.... I usually only end up using half my stuff... but you never know when you need stuff

Anyways, if they cancel my outbound LHR-BRU (8pm) then its going to be near impossible to make it to Brussels in time to get the 6.45 am next day, BRU LHR.

The main bit of the trip, is AA ticket as well, but the LHR to JFK Is BA metal.

I suspect the case of it being cancelled is very minimal, so probably best not to worry! Shudda booked the earlier flight from LHR...
Old May 14, 2014, 7:43 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
Anyways, if they cancel my outbound LHR-BRU (8pm) then its going to be near impossible to make it to Brussels in time to get the 6.45 am next day, BRU LHR.
I think the late LHR-BRU then stays overnight at BRU to operate BRU-LHR the next morning, so if the outbound is cancelled the inbound would be too.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by nux
I think the late LHR-BRU then stays overnight at BRU to operate BRU-LHR the next morning, so if the outbound is cancelled the inbound would be too.
that's good to know! Lucky !

Thanks for info!!!
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: FT
not to start a new thread, but I booked a AMS-LHR. flight gets into LHR at 10:40 and then fly LHR-YYZ later that day at 17:00, in F, if that matters. is the view to not bother advising them of the two tickets or request them make a note to refer to them? i know nothing is formally done. just don't want to wait on hold for the current wait time if nothing will really make a difference.

i have more than ample time and several other flights in between.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Originally Posted by mkjr
not to start a new thread, but I booked a AMS-LHR. flight gets into LHR at 10:40 and then fly LHR-YYZ later that day at 17:00, in F, if that matters. is the view to not bother advising them of the two tickets or request them make a note to refer to them? i know nothing is formally done. just don't want to wait on hold for the current wait time if nothing will really make a difference.

i have more than ample time and several other flights in between.
Definitely not worth ringing up for. Obviously if checking bags at AMS then make the Agent aware of the relevant details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.