Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA lounge access guidelines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2013, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Lovely job, as always, Prospero. Many thanks for providing much-needed clarity on this somewhat tangled web of rules! ^
Old Mar 15, 2013, 4:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by bjorns
One correction, the CCR card allows one guest only.

A GGL can invite two guests in to other BA operated lounges, but only one to the CCR.
This is my understanding too - unless the CCR Cardholder is flying First in which case 2 guests are allowed.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 4:43 am

Programs: BA something, LH something, HHonors something, Sixt something
Looks great and is very useful. Clearly you spent a lot of time on this. Thanks Prospero!
Old Mar 15, 2013, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Thanks for doing this ^ We all appreciate your effort ^^

Is the data in post #3 confirmed by BA? Opinion of this board was that if you were transiting then the highest class ticket determined lounge access. This appears to have been enhanced in such a way that the collective thought power of the BAEC board is still unsure.

From this thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ce-flight.html, post #13 we have from lhrworker:

Which seems to contradict the relative flight lengths rule.

In the same thread Nikki seems to agree with the above but the post is unclear:

Originally Posted by BA Executive Club
Dear all

I spent some time with the lounge team on Friday updating our internal policy to clarify some of the points discussed here. We will be re-issuing this to remind our staff of the rules and clarify some details. This can take done time to reach all of our staff but please bear with us and we will do all we can to prevent this from happening to other members. Many apologies to anyone who has been refused access to the lounge when they should have been able to enter.

Warm regards

Nicci
Old Mar 15, 2013, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by srbrenna

Is the data in post #3 confirmed by BA?

<snip>

Which seems to contradict the relative flight lengths rule.
Only in respect of (I think) the slightly unusual (in practice) scenario of arriving inbound in CE and transiting to WT or WTP longhaul. In such circumstances, you're right; per 'the manual' the BA passenger should still be afforded lounge access prior to the longer sector.

Prospero's assertion that the basic premise seems to be the most substantial part of the journey guides the transit access is broadly correct - though CE > WT/WTP would be apparently be an exception.

Are there any others?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "Arriving CE, onward in WT+" will be tested by my BIL/SIL in May. I will report success/failure unless anyone proves the case in the meantime.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by T8191
The "Arriving CE, onward in WT+" will be tested by my BIL/SIL in May. I will report success/failure unless anyone proves the case in the meantime.
But we have had partial success and partial failure with this. I suppose what I am trying to get is whether the, if we may call it, "longest sector question" applies and whether this is now official BA policy. From evidence presented in various threads this seems, from looking at BA rules, to be moot.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by srbrenna
But we have had partial success and partial failure with this. I suppose what I am trying to get is whether the, if we may call it, "longest sector question" applies and whether this is now official BA policy. From evidence presented in various threads this seems, from looking at BA rules, to be moot.
Agreed, of course. Another consistent inconsistency!! I just don't want them embarrassed by being turned away!
Old Mar 15, 2013, 7:31 am

Agreed, of course. Another consistent inconsistency!! I just don't want them embarrassed by being turned away!
That's hit the nail on the head!

It's embarrassing for us because we are saying that CE to Y/W should have lounge access - something that the available evidence supports. In reality, this is not always the case but BA have not made any attempt to communicate this. I don't think people mind the fact that they don't have entry to the lounge but they will mind the (small) inconvenience of trudging there and (large) embarrassment of being turned away.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
You've missed off Premiers
Old Mar 15, 2013, 1:27 pm
grt

I am flying BA on Business Class (Club World) Boston-LHR in the morning this weekend. Are there any open lounges in BOS terminal E at ~ 7AM? Only the BA First lounge appears to be open at that time, but I am only OW Saphire and I am not flying on first. Can I go there?

Also, I have access to Star Alliance lounges, but I suspect the Lufthansa and Swiss lounges in terminal E will be closed at that time.

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 1:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bjorns
One correction, the CCR card allows one guest only.

A GGL can invite two guests in to other BA operated lounges, but only one to the CCR.

(You may at times get away with two guests, but the lounge access laminated card shows only one guest.)

bjorns
Thanks,

This is the info I have for GGL and CCR card holders relating to BA owned lounges:

Gold Guest List:
CCR: member flying BA First plus two guests. Presumption that guests are in a lower class than member
BA owned First lounge: member plus two guests when all are flying BA irrespective of class of service
BA owned Club lounge: member plus two guests when all are flying BA irrespective of class of service
Departure Spa treatments: member plus two guests when all are flying BA long haul
Pre-flight First dining: member flying BA First plus two guests. Presumption that guests are in a lower class than member
Pre-flight Club dining: member flying BA Club plus two guests. See above presumption
Arrivals lounge: member plus two guests when flying BA long haul but I also have info contracting this that states one guest

Concorde Room Card
CCR: member plus one guest when flying BA
CCR card is not valid for entry to any other lounge

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 15, 2013 at 1:51 pm
Old Mar 15, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL, Hilton Diamond, FB Grey, Amex MR, Trop Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
Arrivals lounge: member plus two guests when flying BA long haul but I also have info contracting this that states one guest
If the rule is two, they certainly don't tell their members. This information is from the Gold Guest List benefits page:

If you are flying with British Airways and visiting one of our owned departure lounges, you can invite two guests to enjoy the comfortable and relaxing surroundings with you. As an additional benefit you can also take one guest with you into our owned arrivals lounges when you are travelling on a British Airways longhaul flight. General terms and conditions apply.
Hope this helps.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:16 pm
Suspended

I thought for arrivals lounge it is only for bA GCH and not oneworld emerald when not travelling in club world or higher?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 6:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Thanks Royce and correctioncx ^ I've tightened up the narrative outlining the respective conditions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.