Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight BA1341 LBA-LHR cancelled this morning [12 and 20 Mar]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I got the dreaded cancellation text/email at 6:20 this morning for my feeder flight from LBA en route to MAD, and spent the next 1:30 trying to get through to BA to rebook on a later flight (particularly enjoyable at that time of day was the insistence of the automated voice that I could re-book online -needless to say I couldn't!).

I'm now booked on a later flight to Madrid, because the next flight between LBA-LHR is after the LHR-MAD I was scheduled to be on. It's a reward saver so same PNR.

I've had a look through the EU reg thread but can't quite work out what (if any) compensation I might be due. Flight distance LBA-LHR-MAD seems to be just over the 1500km mark (1530km), but because the LBA-LHR flight was cancelled rather than delayed I'm not completely sure how it works. The LBA-LHR flight is 4 hours later, and the LHR-MAD one is scheduled to get in 3:45 later than my original booking.

The flight was cancelled for technical reasons the BA agent said, by the way.

I'm actually flying to Montevideo from Madrid late tonight (different booking), so hope nothing else goes wrong!

Any advice or info greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 4:14 pm
Suspended

If you make a fuss directly with BA they will give you a flight voucher (ranging from £80 to £200 from personal experience).
BA are usually a bit stingy with compensation especially compared to Air France! but they are generous compared to Lufthansa.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond
A bit OT relative to the woes of the OP, but wouldn't a list of the days these flights actually operate be shorter than the cancellations? I don't think I'd ever risk it, seems like these are top of the cancellation list....
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks flyingcrazy- do the EU regulations not apply in this case? I still managed to catch my onward flight to Uruguay easily, but the delay did ruin dinner plans in Madrid with an old friend I haven't seen in a while.

Yes, I'm a big fan of the lba link in principle, but both times I've used it have been significantly delayed. If my connection was very important I wouldn't trust it now.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:01 pm

When they have to canx a SH service they generally do a domestic and LBA is in the unfortunate position of being the only domestic (ie mainland UK - alternative travel options available) in T1 currently and as they treat the T1/T5 operations separately if the have to canx a T1 service LBA cops it

The number of canx to LBA is a known problem and shd be addressed with the service moving to T5 in 2 weeks.

Here's hoping as its gaining traffic every week and cld well do without these problems.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:24 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
LBA-LHR BA1341 20/03/13 Cancelled

09:15 LONDON HEATHROW BA1341 CANCELLED

Yet again. It can't be weather related, other airlines are operating
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:10 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
The LBA route does seem to be sacrificed quite often since it started. Might be part of BAs plans - Make a route so unreliable that pax loads fall off a cliff, then ditch the route due to the poor commercial performance which results (They have managed to slow withdrawal from LGW domestics over the last few years in a similar way but instead of reliability they just chipped the schedules till the route made no point for many).
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:45 am

Canx was due to lack of aircraft. Leeds is the poorest performer in T1 so it gets chopped first when things go wrong.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:57 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B146 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by lhrsinsyd
Canx was due to lack of aircraft. Leeds is the poorest performer in T1 so it gets chopped first when things go wrong.
A bit chicken or egg there, no? "New" routes take time and commitment.

Simply reinforces the view that its slot sitting until BA gets more long haul capacity.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:39 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Does anyone know what its cancellation record is on a Sunday afternoon? Guess where we will be on Sunday (snow permitting).
Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC silver
So, it seems that after some of the FT hype as to how BA were going to make LBA work come hell and high water, they are just as committed as flybe were. Shame.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:51 am

Programs: BA, VS, Hilton Honours
oh no! I was about to book LHR-LBA-LHR for May..
I dread having to go by train and dont fancy driving.

I'll just have to risk it I guess
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by tuff
Does anyone know what its cancellation record is on a Sunday afternoon? Guess where we will be on Sunday (snow permitting).
I'm on the 1347 LBA-LHR on Sunday ... with crossed fingers!

Horrendous trip from JER ... 8 hours door to door to N Yorks.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Originally Posted by tuff
I'm on the 1347 LBA-LHR on Sunday ... with crossed fingers!

Horrendous trip from JER ... 8 hours door to door to N Yorks.
But at least you're in Yorkshire .

With no MAN - LGW option, I am not looking forward to future trips the other way.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
But at least you're in Yorkshire .

With no MAN - LGW option, I am not looking forward to future trips the other way.
There are some quite good options for direct flights to JER from MAN ... although with the demise of the LGW route no real option on BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.