Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flying Qantas, Emirates and BA - Which Frequent flyer programme?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying on a 'round the world' trip, which was booked through Qantas, which consist of Qantas, Emirates and BA flights. In addition, I've also booked directly with Emirates for a short-haul flight from Australia to New Zealand.

I want to be able to make the most out of the miles, but I'm unsure as to which Airline's Frequent flyer club to sign up for.

From what I understand so far, is that Qantas is part of the Oneworld alliance, does that mean if I sign up and register my flights (miles) with them, I'll be able to use the miles with a BA flight in the future? Furthermore, Emirates aren't part of Oneworld, yet is there a way to make some use out of those miles, as I don't plan to fly emirates again?

The option available is to put all the miles (bar short-haul emirates flight) on the BA Executive club membership.

What do you think?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:56 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Are you based in the UK? What class are you booked in? Are the Emirates flights QF codeshares or EK flight numbers?

The BA and Qantas flights you can credit to any OneWorld partner, so BA or QF or AA.. However, if it is booked in discount economy, the QF flights credited to BA would only earn 0.25 avios per mile.

Emirates is not part of OneWorld, however they are a Qantas partner. So you can credit those flights to either Emirates Skywards or Qantas. If Qantas, you can redeem for any OneWorld partner award flight.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
Are you based in the UK? What class are you booked in? Are the Emirates flights QF codeshares or EK flight numbers?

The BA and Qantas flights you can credit to any OneWorld partner, so BA or QF or AA.. However, if it is booked in discount economy, the QF flights credited to BA would only earn 0.25 avios per mile.

Emirates is not part of OneWorld, however they are a Qantas partner. So you can credit those flights to either Emirates Skywards or Qantas. If Qantas, you can redeem for any OneWorld partner award flight.
Yes, I'm based in the UK

The Emirates flight has a QF flight number, but the BA flight doesn't

I didn't realise about different types of economy. I've just checked on the 'manage my booking' page and the displayed travel class is (s), which appears to be the 'discount economy' travel class.

I presume it would therefore be best to put them all onto Qantas frequent flyer programme.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by nux
Some QF domestic flights won't even credit at all to BA, i.e. E class.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nux

what happens if you did not do this, flew EK and credited to Skywards, are those miles lost forever (unless one flighs EK again?)
Old Mar 4, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: VA Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Some QF domestic flights won't even credit at all to BA, i.e. E class.
Haven't seen an international flight (yet) that doesn't, just domestic. Fortunately you can check the page source to see the booking code.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: VA Gold, BA Silver
As an aside I just noticed this for the first time - https://www.britishairways.com/trave...-tradecustomer
From the 31st March 2013, Executive Club Silver and Gold members will no longer accrue a Tier bonus when flying on Qantas.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by dc2447
what happens if you did not do this, flew EK and credited to Skywards, are those miles lost forever (unless one flighs EK again?)
Since you cannot double dip, once you credit the miles to Skywards, you can't also credit them to another frequent flyer scheme, if that is what you are asking.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Since you cannot double dip, once you credit the miles to Skywards, you can't also credit them to another frequent flyer scheme, if that is what you are asking.
I was wondering if there was some convoluted way of transferring to a hotel programe or similar then back to avios.

searching reveals that is not possible

will use highstreet instead
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

robot1000
You do not need to fly an airline to collects its miles/points. The airline and/or its airline partners can be used as a source of points collected in a freq flyer program [ffp]
Its reads as if you are not a BA, QF or EK ffp member and do have a ffp that has BA QF or EK as a partner.

Alaska is a partner of BA QF & EK
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-overview.aspx
AS does collect miles on some low fares where are other do not.

But be careful/check about codeshares

Originally Posted by nux
...Emirates is not part of OneWorld, however they are a Qantas partner. So you can credit those flights to either Emirates Skywards or Qantas.
Emirates will/may be a QF partner from 1st April 2013 (subject to regulatory approval). Is not a points earning partner today

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 5, 2013 at 12:25 am
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
robot1000
You do not need to fly an airline to collects its miles/points. The airline and/or its airline partners can be used as a source of points collected in a freq flyer program [ffp]
Its reads as if you are not a BA, QF or EK ffp member and do have a ffp that has BA QF or EK as a partner.
Yes that's correct
Alaska is a partner of BA QF & EK
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-overview.aspx
AS does collect miles on some low fares where are other do not.

But be careful/check about codeshares

Emirates will/may be a QF partner from 1st April 2013 (subject to regulatory approval). Is not a points earning partner today
I'm slightly wary of the fact that the Qantas and BA alliance has ended, would that mean there's a good chance that if I choose to use Qantas as my main FFP, I may be unable to redeem them at BA later on?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Air Berlin topbonus

EDIT - screwed up, AB is really part owned by Etihad, not Emirates, as the next poster points out

Upon further research, JAL's Milege Bank seem to earn on all 3 airlines as shown here (but not discount eco fares)

http://www.ar.jal.com/ar/en/jmb/index02.html

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Mar 5, 2013 at 4:15 am
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robot1000
...I'm slightly wary of the fact that the Qantas and BA alliance has ended, would that mean there's a good chance that if I choose to use Qantas as my main FFP, I may be unable to redeem them at BA later on?
Both are OneWorld and highly it will stay that way IMHO. BA will become another QF OW airline partner like all the others in OW. But nothing has been published by QF to date.

There are far better ffp's than QF. Maybe AA or even BA if you live UK/Eu. As post above Air Berlin may be good for you. AS is very good as it has a wide range of airline partners. All depends on your personal flying pattern.

Air Berlin is part owned by Etihad (EY). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etihad
In December 2011, Etihad announced it had taken a 29.21% stake in Air Berlin

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 5, 2013 at 4:18 am
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
...Upon further research, JAL's Mileage Bank seem to earn on all 3 airlines as shown here (but not discount eco fares)..
That where AS excels:- earn miles on many partner discount fares where others do not
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:18 am
Original Poster

That where AS excels:- earn miles on many partner discount fares where others do not
Excuse my ignorance, but what's AS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.