Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA fare discounts with AARP Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Originally Posted by guv1976
[SIZE=1]Has this happened to anyone else? This sounds like a glitch. CW passengers get free checked baggage. In fact, I think BA offers HBO fares only on Euro Traveler routes.
It will be nice if it is a glitch. It showed up even if I priced ORD-LHR on its own so it wasn't linked from LHR-MAN but it wouldn't be a surprise if ba.com was inventing its own rules! The initial AARP cover page still showed the advantages of flying BA as including one free bag.
That one free checked bag is for TATL Economy Class. If you're in [/b]Business[/b] Class (Club World), you get (at least) two free checked bags.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
[SIZE=1]That one free checked bag is for TATL Economy Class. If you're in [/b]Business[/b] Class (Club World), you get (at least) two free checked bags.
I know that but when I proceeded to make the booking and subsequently in both MMB and the itinerary it shows as an HBO fare.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by MADPhil
[SIZE=1]That one free checked bag is for TATL Economy Class. If you're in [/b]Business[/b] Class (Club World), you get (at least) two free checked bags.
I know that but when I proceeded to make the booking and subsequently in both MMB and the itinerary it shows as an HBO fare.
Call BA; it sounds like a glitch.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:24 am

[SIZE=1]Call BA; it sounds like a glitch.
I hope that is true (and they haven't issued an e-ticket yet so it may be) but on this occasion I am travelling HBO anyway which is why I just completed the purchase to see what happened.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:21 am

There seems to be a problem with the e-ticket emails so I just printed it off the web and it shows as HBO. I tried calling and, to my surprise, got through to India in a couple of minutes. All that the agent could tell me after some checking was that it was an HBO fare. I don't have the enthusiasm to HUACA since I don't care on this occasion but it will be interesting to see if anyone else reports this. And whether it is really true!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Do AARP or BA Chase discounts apply to the horrid "fuel surcharges" on tickets booked with Avios?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
No, the AARP and Chase discounts are only available for use with a paid fare, no avios bookings. But then the terms make that clear for both programs...

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Do AARP or BA Chase discounts apply to the horrid "fuel surcharges" on tickets booked with Avios?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
The last couple of days, I've found dead ends when trying to access the AARP discounts. The AARP link directs me to a BA page that tells me that the discounts are currently unavailable. Some American bloggers have speculated that BA has ended this promotion, which was scheduled to end (or be renewed, as it has the last few years) on October 31. Although the widespread abuse of this benefit (most bloggers have noted you can join AARP for $16 per year no matter your age) might prompt BA to end the program, I have a hard time believing they would bail less than 30 days from the end.

On the other hand, I could see BA pulling back on this perk temporarily while working on an IT fix that finally stops the stacking of the AARP discount with the Chase BA 10% discount--also widely reported by the bloggers who mostly seem to rake the CW product unless they can get a $600-700 discount on it.

Anyone with insight as to whether BA has decided to end this partnership?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Not sure, I used it a week ago (for 5 pax no less). It's a great benefit and I hope it returns again for next year. Agree on the bloggers, they are so into self promotion on these sorts of things, wind up phrasing things in ways that almost beg BA to remove this great benefit. As for the Chase card stack, I've never gotten that to work anyway because that always ends on Dec 31 and I am usually booking for mid-winter with the AARP discount.

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
The last couple of days, I've found dead ends when trying to access the AARP discounts. The AARP link directs me to a BA page that tells me that the discounts are currently unavailable. Some American bloggers have speculated that BA has ended this promotion, which was scheduled to end (or be renewed, as it has the last few years) on October 31. Although the widespread abuse of this benefit (most bloggers have noted you can join AARP for $16 per year no matter your age) might prompt BA to end the program, I have a hard time believing they would bail less than 30 days from the end.

On the other hand, I could see BA pulling back on this perk temporarily while working on an IT fix that finally stops the stacking of the AARP discount with the Chase BA 10% discount--also widely reported by the bloggers who mostly seem to rake the CW product unless they can get a $600-700 discount on it.

Anyone with insight as to whether BA has decided to end this partnership?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA S, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
So us it a glitch, or has the plug been pulled on the AARP tie-up? I just get the message "we regret that the special discount is currently unavailable". Seems a little deliberate, so I'm starting to fear its demise. Shame if that's the case, as it has been very useful to me over the past couple of years.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by loosehead
So us it a glitch, or has the plug been pulled on the AARP tie-up? I just get the message "we regret that the special discount is currently unavailable". Seems a little deliberate, so I'm starting to fear its demise. Shame if that's the case, as it has been very useful to me over the past couple of years.
I have an open case with the AARP and expect to hear something back in the next couple of days. I shall post an update once I hear more.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA S, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
Originally Posted by golfmad
I have an open case with the AARP and expect to hear something back in the next couple of days. I shall post an update once I hear more.
Thanks for trying, would be nice to know. I've had a go at emailing AARP but got a meaningless reply thanking me for my interest.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by loosehead
I suspect that it is likely dead. Unfortunately, the internet is becoming why we can't have nice things. This discount combined with the Visa discount exploit began to be very, very widely propagated across the internet via the various bloggers who, today, seem to be more than willing to kill the "goose that lays the golden egg"

Sadly, unlikely the old days of FT, once something like this shows up on FT and people start publicly discussing, the clock is ticking...

Regards
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:19 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
New FT member mrsweaters1 reports here that the discount has been extended to cover bookings made up to 31 October 2016.

The BA page describing the offer has not been updated as I write this, but the AARP page has. ^
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
More discussion in this thread too.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...t-working.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.