Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Promo : 1,000 bonus Avios with American Express Currency Exchange 28 Jan - 31 Mar 13

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Promo : 1,000 bonus Avios with American Express Currency Exchange 28 Jan - 31 Mar 13

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 7:39 am

I'm looking at an extra £10 over the best exchange for £500 ish worth of UAE dirhams, delivered. For this i'd get 1'000 bonus avios, 500 straight avios, and 500 amex MRs from my gold card (assuming it falls into 1 MR per pound, anyone know??).

Total 2000 avios for about a tenner. That's £0.50 an avio isn't it??

Anywho, i have a halifax clarity card with no loading fee's, so i'm not sure if i'd be better with that.

Cue Raffle's....
Old Jan 29, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC, KOP 305
Originally Posted by dannyrado
I'm looking at an extra £10 over the best exchange for £500 ish worth of UAE dirhams, delivered. For this i'd get 1'000 bonus avios, 500 straight avios, and 500 amex MRs from my gold card (assuming it falls into 1 MR per pound, anyone know??).

Anywho, i have a halifax clarity card with no loading fee's, so i'm not sure if i'd be better with that.

It's more like £0.0050 per Avios. This makes me think of the hilarious incident when Verizon didn't understand the difference between dollars and cents: http://verizonmath.blogspot.co.uk/20...-customer.html
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
Yes - although they should have your Avios number already as it goes in during the booking process via the BA portal, doesn't it?
you say that but I did an order and did not see an option

then I read:

An Executive Club Membership number or Avios membership number must be entered online or presented at the point of sale for Avios points to be awarded.
Avios points earned on a transaction will be processed 40 calendar days after the order has been paid for and collected and will then be awarded to the customer’s Avios account.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Rome77
It's more like £0.0050 per Avios. This makes me think of the hilarious incident when Verizon didn't understand the difference between dollars and cents: http://verizonmath.blogspot.co.uk/20...-customer.html
Indeed. My calculation was incorrect, i'm an eejit. 0.5p per avio.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by dannyrado

Cue Raffle's....
FWIW, when we went to Dubai at Christmas I found the Amex spread a bit high and used my debit card - even with the 3% loading it was cheaper than ACE for Dirham.

If you've got a no-load card, which includes no loading on cash withdrawals, then I would use that in an ATM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Does anybody know when payment is taken (or is too soon to know)?

I'd assume on collection to allow for the possibility of interim cancellation. It's relevant in our household - if payment is taken on collection, it will qualify as spend for the next BAPP 2-4-1 as the new card year starts on the day of travel. (If not, oh well.)

Thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:13 am
MBX

Originally Posted by Raffles
Let's knock this on the head once and for all.

The Amex rate for Euros to prebook is 1.14.

Via the ba link, so earning Avios, it is 1.132 - but the extra Avios per £1 still makes this a better deal, even without the 1,000 bonus.

The MSE FX checker shows the very best rate on the market is 1.149 - and this rate is only available if you can collect from Edinburgh railway station!

The Amex rate via the BA link - which gets you WorldPoints, Avios or MR points on your Amex card and Avios from ACE - IS therefore clearly the cheapest deal available, as long as you pre-order. End of discussion.
I'm confused, what is the BA link?

I need to buy Czech Kr and Euros in the next couple of weeks, and want to make sure I'm getting the most out of this!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
" Dear Sir/Madam,

If I purchase foreign currency through the American Express Currency Exchange, for collection at the airport, will I be charged a cash advance fee?

Also, will I earn Avios for each pound exchanged?

Thank you."

" Dear TravellerFrequently,

I would like to inform you that when you purchase Foreign Currency with Travel Money from American Express, you will not be charged any commission fees. You will enjoy 0% commission on all available currencies.

You may visit the link below to order the foreign currency:

https://www.travelmoneynow.com/uk?in...avel_money_now

You will be billed interest on the foreign currency purchases at 27.9% p.a. or monthly interest rate at 2.08%.

It will depend on the currency you purchase from us. You may call at the number on the back of your Card to further details regarding a particular currency charge.

No Avios will be earned on Express Cash/ATM transactions.

We will look forward to assisting you.

Sincerely,

X Y
Email Servicing Team
American Express Interactive Services"
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MBX
I'm confused, what is the BA link?

I need to buy Czech Kr and Euros in the next couple of weeks, and want to make sure I'm getting the most out of this!
www.travelmoneynow.com is the generic Amex Currency site which does not earn Avios or count for the 1k bonus

https://www.travelmoneynow.com/britishairways/uk/ is the BA link which has slightly worse rates but earns 1 Avios per £1 and the 1k bonus
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
" Dear Sir/Madam,

If I purchase foreign currency through the American Express Currency Exchange, for collection at the airport, will I be charged a cash advance fee?

Also, will I earn Avios for each pound exchanged? s"
They haven't answered the question, of course, but don't waste your time asking them this. Perhaps Amex don't even know it goes through as a purchase?!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by dc2447
TLDR

can someone give me a one word answer: will amex charge me a cash advance fee?
NO!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Would buying currency also count towards the £3k (in 3 months) minimum spend to get the 40k Avios bonus on the Amex Business Gold Card?
Yes! Buying currency but only at ACE does not charge cash advance fees, and it does count towards your minimum spend. I have tried it, I have done it, and since my wife's new Platinum card arrived today, I am about to by £2,000 worth of Stirling Travelers Cheques (again) to get the bonus super-quick and then cancel the card to ensure no £450 annual fee is charged!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:26 pm

Summary of important answers...

Ok, let me put a few questions to bed here.

Firstly, with regards to this offer, like with any point related transaction, it is personal as to whether it is worthwhile or not. For instance, I wouldn't pay £0.007/Avios, others would as they can leverage a better return.

For this offer specifically, it is not cut-and-dried as to whether it's a no-brainer, simply because everyone's situation is different. I have done the maths, and on common currency purchases like the Euro, and for small amounts, it is generally worthwhile, but for less common currencies and for higher purchase amounts, it is not worthwhile as much cheaper transactions available elsewhere means you are paying more than £0.01/Avios. Work it out for your own situation.

If you do find this offer works for you, you need to purchase online via the BA portal (www.travelmoneynow.com/britishairways) or the Avios portal (www.travelmoneynow.com/avios), or pre-order and collect at Gatwick Moneycorp locations presenting your BAEC/Avios card. Note that the Moneycorp rate will make this transaction far more appealing (or the "no-brainer") as their pre-order rates are some of the best so you are getting the bonus for free, though you do lose out on the 300+ MR (assuming you don't want to pay cash transaction fees and will use another card).

The best deal would appear to be earning the bonus, the MR, the Avios and the BAA worldpoints, but for that you get the worst rate. With a debit card at Gatwick you can earn the bonus and the Avios, but get a better rate. and if you wanna play big-time, you can use one card and one BAEC/Avios account for one transaction, and another card and another BAEC/Avios account for another transaction and earn the bonus more than once!

Next, a few general queries answered...

Does Amex charge a cash advance fee for forex purchases?
No! I have done this. Not if you buy currency (or TCs, Stirling included though with 1.5% commission) on ACE and pay with your Amex issued card.

Does the purchase of forex count towards bonus minimum spend?
Yes! I have done this. If you buy currency through ACE, it counts as normal spend, you earn MR, and you can hit your threshold sooner.

Does "Express Cash" make a difference when purchasing forex on ACE?
No! I have done this. The first time I bought on ACE, my transaction went through fine, but every attempt thereafter was declined. Amex insisted it was because Express Cash wasn't enabled and I was lucky the first time. I have since enabled Express Cash, done another test run, and the transaction posts as before as "Finance" and no fees are charged. You may find you cannot do a transaction at all without it, and spending a few days getting it enabled to churn the card quicker could be a lot of time and money saved (1.5% comm for Stirling TC's of £2,000 is £30, but you are paying £37.50pm to keep the card, so get rid of it).

When does the purchase get charged to your card?
Immediately! If you want to pay on the day of collection (which can be delayed by up to 3 weeks and give you a choice of rates at collection or even transaction cancellation, try use Moneycorp).

I hope this clears it up for a lot of you.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Roger
Does anybody know when payment is taken (or is too soon to know)?

I'd assume on collection to allow for the possibility of interim cancellation. It's relevant in our household - if payment is taken on collection, it will qualify as spend for the next BAPP 2-4-1 as the new card year starts on the day of travel. (If not, oh well.)

Thanks.
Payment is taken immediately and you cannot cancel a transaction:

Can I change or cancel my order after it has been placed and paid for?
Once the order has been accepted we are unable to make any changes to your order or cancel your order.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
I wish people would stop asking Amex whether they'll get charged as a cash advance. All historical evidence on here, including my own experience, says that if using an Amex, it will be charged as a purchase. The more people ask Amex, the more likely that it'll raise the issue higher up and someone will realise,and kill the loophole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.