Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Promo : 1,000 bonus Avios with American Express Currency Exchange 28 Jan - 31 Mar 13

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Promo : 1,000 bonus Avios with American Express Currency Exchange 28 Jan - 31 Mar 13

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by newstuff
Their exchange rates look pretty bad. If you change £300 you get 340 euros. You can get 350 elsewhere. Depending on how much you value avios at, I think you might come out ahead by going for the better exchange rate.
This latest deal of 1000 Avios makes it a better deal for me. I usually use Thomas Global Exchange (TGE)
when I am near Victoria. Currently they offer 3 Cents more per £. With the Amex Avios on a BA PP, the Avios per £ and the 1000 Avios, Worldpoints and the convenience of not having to take a bundle of cash to TGE in London this promotion is worth taking up. After the initial 1000 Avios bonus the offer is reasonable for the convenience of collecting at the airport.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know if they have a buy back scheme similar to Travelex (i.e. refund at same rate as sale)?

Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Max Jetless
Does anyone know if they have a buy back scheme similar to Travelex (i.e. refund at same rate as sale)?

Thanks
Yes. That's why you don't get the Avios for 40 days (buy-back is 31 days).

(And if you refuse buy-back, Avios still take 40 days!)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold,Aeroplan, Miles&More (Silver), United Gold
I've been claiming Avois via AMEX the last few months and was planning to use again in 2 weeks time at LHR.

So ... I wonder if I can get around the rules, order via the wife's BAEC account?
(However I would pay and pick up with own CC)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:05 pm

Does anyone know if the BAPP attracts a cash advance charge. Various different answers have been given but has anyone actually tried and succeeded with it?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:09 pm

I would check FX rate. I've never seen Amex give you a good one.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigRedBears
I would check FX rate. I've never seen Amex give you a good one.
Let's knock this on the head once and for all.

The Amex rate for Euros to prebook is 1.14.

Via the ba link, so earning Avios, it is 1.132 - but the extra Avios per £1 still makes this a better deal, even without the 1,000 bonus.

The MSE FX checker shows the very best rate on the market is 1.149 - and this rate is only available if you can collect from Edinburgh railway station!

The Amex rate via the BA link - which gets you WorldPoints, Avios or MR points on your Amex card and Avios from ACE - IS therefore clearly the cheapest deal available, as long as you pre-order. End of discussion.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:11 am

Programs: British Airways
Do you present your World Points and frequent flyer card at the desk on collection?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:26 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
I know one version of the T&C says mimimum of £300, but there are two other places, including another version of the T&C that say "OVER £300".

I would strongly advise doing £301 to be sure, if you are just trying to hit the minimum to qualify.

I recently got caught out myself on the direct ACE site by thinking an order of £500 TC would not be charged a delivery fee, when I looked back at the terms it said over £500, and I was duly charged £5.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:41 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
I'll have a need for Bulgarian Lev later in the year. I dont fly from LHR to bulgaria.

For 1100 Bulgarian Lev, ACE via BA wants £514.64 (which will include delivery after 1st feb). That would get me 2361 Avios max (1000 bonus, 514 via BA avios, 771 avios via BAPP cc card, 76 via world points)

ICIC bank wants £500.16, including delivery (via MSE FX checker)

So the extra £14.50 will get me 2361 avios. a good enough deal @ .61p a point, but not outstanding.
Note that without the bonus, it would be over 1p a point.

But you get much better value for more popular currencies and/or smaller amounts being collected. Also don't discount the added benefit of getting the spend up on your cc, for those that are trying to hit a spend limit.

Last edited by tangey; Jan 29, 2013 at 3:48 am
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by kitbag1984
Does anyone know if the BAPP attracts a cash advance charge. Various different answers have been given but has anyone actually tried and succeeded with it?
I used my BAPP back in November and it came through as a purchase and not cash advance
Old Jan 29, 2013, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tangey
I'll have a need for Bulgarian Lev later in the year. I dont fly from LHR to bulgaria.
What is the spread on the LEV against the mid point? If it is more than 3%, you'd be better off using your debit card in at ATM on arrival, since that will cost you the spot rate less your card issuers 2.99% fee.

Except for Euros and US$, very few foreign currencies are sold with spreads of less than 3%. Stick with a debit card for those.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL

Using a Tesco credit card at their exchange bureaux also goes through as a purchase not a currency advance.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by twanny76
Do you present your World Points and frequent flyer card at the desk on collection?
Yes - although they should have your Avios number already as it goes in during the booking process via the BA portal, doesn't it?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 7:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Raffles
Yes - although they should have your Avios number already as it goes in during the booking process via the BA portal, doesn't it?
I hope they've smartened up their act since I used this service a couple of months ago in T5 : I pre-ordered through the BA portal, but still had to wait 10 minutes or so while they disappeared out the back to find the envelope of cash, then filled in forms which had to be countersigned, then the whole faff of recording my BA card number all over again. And the Avios still didn't post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.