Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T1 domestic to T5 domestic without a passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold

As an aside, if you arrive airside before border control which controls entry into the UK are you technically in the UK? If not have you not then flown outside the UK?

Put another way where is the UK border defined?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
As an aside, if you arrive airside before border control which controls entry into the UK are you technically in the UK? If not have you not then flown outside the UK?

They spent a lot of money putting up big signs saying "UK Border" not so many years ago ... would it be too simplistic to assume the signs indicate where the border is? (I jest)

I don't think they've (yet) installed a metal line in the floor like the meridian at Greenwich - on reflection, perhaps they should get Doris Salcedo to do something similar to her installation in the Turbine Hall at Tate Modern?

Mind you, at T5 since Domestics are mixed in with International departures it's just one big no-mans-land, isn't it? It's not like those pax flying LHR-MAN from T5 actually left the UK at security and then re-entered the UK at the gate, is it?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:42 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by kanderson1965

Yes (you're in the UK), but you have not yet satisfied UKBA that you can proceed beyond the UKBA controlled checkpoints. UKBA regulate passenger movement between the two areas. The trick is not to arrive at the border area if you were always in the UK, I think that will be Heathrow Airport's responsibility (UKBA will be entitled to satisfy themselves that anyone arriving at their checkpoints is entitled to proceed, with or without a passport).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:56 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

Without a formal exit control (as they have in other countries), the one-sided nature of the "border" mean its somewhat of an abstract concept, regardless of what UK BA think. Do their powers differ depending on physically where they exercise their authority? (E.g. Landslide vs airside or indeed any random other part of the UK)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Not especially. They can and do set up shakedowns in public places (such as railway stations) from time to time and have the right to arrest.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by stifle
Not especially. They can and do set up shakedowns in public places (such as railway stations) from time to time and have the right to arrest.
Not quite. Immigration enforcement officers have powers of arrest and detention, but there are criteria that have to be met before discharging those powers which come from different legislation. They can't stand at Victoria and conduct random stop and inquiry, whereas persons arriving at the designated border area at the airport (or port) will have deemed to have arrived from outside the CTA and are obliged to satisfy UKBA of their right to enter the UK (even though they are already technically in the UK).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:52 am

Duplicate

Last edited by Dan72; Jan 16, 2013 at 6:53 am Reason: Duplicate
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
I just remembered an occasion a couple of years ago when I arrived at LHR T1 (or maybe it was T2) on a BA codeshare EI flight from DUB to transfer to a BA flight to KBP from T5. Transfer pax were asked to wait on the aircraft whilst terminating pax disembarked into the terminal from the front of the aircraft after which transfer pax disembarked onto a bus via steps at the rear of the aircraft which took us directly to T1 flight connections for an onward bus to T5.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Dan72
Not quite. Immigration enforcement officers have powers of arrest and detention, but there are criteria that have to be met before discharging those powers which come from different legislation. They can't stand at Victoria and conduct random stop and inquiry, whereas persons arriving at the designated border area at the airport (or port) will have deemed to have arrived from outside the CTA and are obliged to satisfy UKBA of their right to enter the UK (even though they are already technically in the UK).
Perhaps not at Victoria, but I have seen them doing it at Dartford and the Sky series UK Border Force has shown them doing it elsewhere.
Originally Posted by heartybob
I just remembered an occasion a couple of years ago when I arrived at LHR T1 (or maybe it was T2) on a BA codeshare EI flight from DUB to transfer to a BA flight to KBP from T5. Transfer pax were asked to wait on the aircraft whilst terminating pax disembarked into the terminal from the front of the aircraft after which transfer pax disembarked onto a bus via steps at the rear of the aircraft which took us directly to T1 flight connections for an onward bus to T5.
That'll have been T1 and it still happens like this for passenger convenience. Someone progressing to a domestic connection and not holding a passport would fall into the same trap as our OP.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rapidex
What would they do with 80 FT'ers of the same flight with no passports?They can hardly claim "you should have known better" to a big mob like that.Would they have enough staff to cope?
It would make for an outstanding day out.
I experienced something like that at T5 a couple of years ago when the bus that took us off a NCL flight deposited the passengers at International Arrivals instead of Domestic.

Mayhem and chaos were underway but with just hand luggage, I used Iris and left a large group of confused passengers and UKBA staff debating what to do next
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:42 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by thegoderic
I experienced something like that at T5 a couple of years ago when the bus that took us off a NCL flight deposited the passengers at International Arrivals instead of Domestic.

Mayhem and chaos were underway but with just hand luggage, I used Iris and left a large group of confused passengers and UKBA staff debating what to do next
Same happened to me a couple of years ago at T5 arriving from MAN. Once I saw the confusion, I considered using Iris to just avoid it all but in fact decided to see how it would pan out - in fact it was pretty comical as there were about 25 of us in the same situation - eventually the BA Duty Manager persuaded UKBA to open a separate lane and I showed my driving licence to get through. Took about 25 minutes though..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.