BA Seating Policy Guide

Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:49 pm

I've just booked flights from UK to Miami with BA. I am a Silver exec club member, but didn't book the free seat allocations during the booking, is it too late now, will I have to pay?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by kenco222
I've just booked flights from UK to Miami with BA. I am a Silver exec club member, but didn't book the free seat allocations during the booking, is it too late now, will I have to pay?
Hi,

Welcome to flyertalk and the BA forum Kenco222!^

No , you will not have to pay ( unless you want an exit row seat in WT or WT+ IIRC) What cabin are you travelling in?. If you log into your BAEC account and go to Manage my booking you will be able to select seats.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Welcome to flyertalk and the BA forum Kenco222!^

No , you will not have to pay ( unless you want an exit row seat in WT or WT+ IIRC) What cabin are you travelling in?. If you log into your BAEC account and go to Manage my booking you will be able to select seats.

Regards

TBS
Just standard cabin unfortunately, had my 1st taste of CW in 2015 via boomerang, but too expensive this time around.

Trouble is all the seat selections in manage my booking have costs associated with them, I don't want to confirm the seats and get charged.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:12 pm

Just standard cabin unfortunately, had my 1st taste of CW in 2015 via boomerang, but too expensive this time around.

Trouble is all the seat selections in manage my booking have costs associated with them, I don't want to confirm the seats and get charged.

I'm a donut, just realised i am only at Blue tier status, not silver.

I'm sure when i booked the DUB-GAT-MCO return for the 4 of us that we would get silver memebrship, but just looning at the thread fro 2014 on the DIBB it mentions straight to Bronze, not silver.

I'll call BA tomorrow & see what they say.

Thanks for you reply though...
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I'm sure when i booked the DUB-GAT-MCO return for the 4 of us that we would get silver memebrship ...
I may have misunderstood what you mean here, but just in case: you don't get higher-tier membership just for booking. You only get tier promotion after you fly the relevant flights.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I may have misunderstood what you mean here, but just in case: you don't get higher-tier membership just for booking. You only get tier promotion after you fly the relevant flights.

Yes, we accrued the point when we flew CW boomernag flights in 2013.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Yes, we accrued the point when we flew CW boomernag flights in 2013.
those tier points will have expired at the end of you tier point collection year. You would have kept the status till 2 months after the end of the next collection year and then dropped back to blue unless you gained enough tier points that year to maintain that status level

So tier points acquired in 2013 would expire in 2014. Sometime 2015 or early 2016 (depending when your tier point collection year ended) you would have dropped back to blue.

To be bronze or silver now you would have had to have been flying enough to collect the tier points much more recently
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
those tier points will have expired at the end of you tier point collection year. You would have kept the status till 2 months after the end of the next collection year and then dropped back to blue unless you gained enough tier points that year to maintain that status level

So tier points acquired in 2013 would expire in 2014. Sometime 2015 or early 2016 (depending when your tier point collection year ended) you would have dropped back to blue.

To be bronze or silver now you would have had to have been flying enough to collect the tier points much more recently
Ah! Ok thanks

Paying for seats it is then
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: I am a lowly ant
Slightly stupid question perhaps, but at T-23 and online check is open, I've been allocated a middle (Y) seat on 787-9 at the back, next to the toilets. The other options offered are four other middle seats scattered around.

Does this mean the flight is therefore only got 4 seats free? Or possibly more? What options do I have, if any, to avoid 23 hours of sitting in the middle of two fatties?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Is there a specific thread or section here on seating policy children? A colleague of mine has just posted this on Facebook (and I'm interested to know how this would compare with BA):

"Shocking that #TUIUK (formerly Thomson) has allocated my 3YR OLD niece a seat ON HER OWN for our return 8hr flight. Check-in desk for outbound said they can’t change it & we’d have to ask on way back! So have to start holiday with that anxiety hanging over us! Utterly appalling #poorservice"
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
Just wondering why as a Gold I am not able to reserve 1A and 1K in first on an upcoming flight to Nairobi.
I can book 2A and 2K but not the front row even though they are shown as available on MMB.
Any ideas?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flyphilrun
Just wondering why as a Gold I am not able to reserve 1A and 1K in first on an upcoming flight to Nairobi.
I can book 2A and 2K but not the front row even though they are shown as available on MMB.
Any ideas?
Is that AND or OR? If it is one passenger then either should be available to you unless already allocated. If two passengers then you both need to be Gold until about 72-48 hours before departure.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Is that AND or OR? If it is one passenger then either should be available to you unless already allocated. If two passengers then you both need to be Gold until about 72-48 hours before departure.
Ah ok! Thanks CWS. It is indeed AND, and there is indeed one Gold and one silver on the booking.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
OWS here - we have a booking with BA and somehow the first BA leg BA charges for reserving seats! The itinerary is CPH-LHR-LAX-LHR-CPH and BA got the seats for us for the last leg on BA (the long hauls are AA flights marketed by BA and we got seats already).

I tried to select seats for CPH-LHR and BA asks for payment - could someone help? Not that it's important but it's not supposed to be like this.

TIA!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by nacho
I tried to select seats for CPH-LHR and BA asks for payment - could someone help? Not that it's important but it's not supposed to be like this.
Were you able to select seats yourself for the LHR-CPH sector? I'm not quite sure what you mean by "BA got the seats for us for the last leg on BA".

If you were having trouble doing it yourself for free on that sector, then one possible cause is that the system has not recognised your Sapphire status for some reason. That can sometimes get fixed if you remove your frequent flyer number from the booking altogether, and then reinsert it. But knowing what happened on the last sector would help.

Also, do you know what booking classes you're booked into on each flight? You should be able to get that from BA's MMB, if you click on the link that says "More flight information".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.