Newbie venting about Avios

Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:46 am
Original Poster

So I'm trying to use MR points to fly my family 1st class RIC-OGG on AA. So of course I open a BA Avios account, check on AA.com and there are plenty of AASaver tickets albeit at an elevated mileage price. I'm excited! I'm even more excited when I see that there is a 30% bonus to transfer MR to BA! So I call BA "Executive Club" 3 times the last 2 days and NOTHING! No awards available per them. I tell them that AA.com shows plenty and they brush me off. It this correct? Do they only get to use some of AA's awards? Or am I dealing with incompetence? So now I'm stuck spending more miles than I planned transferring to DL for a less favorable itinerary. Rant over.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)

Hi

Is this a direct routing ? Or does it require connections ?

If connections you might need to phone BA and spoon feed them the flight numbers you want to book to form your routing.

cs
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Requires connections
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Another one who hasn't done their homework........go stand in the corner Richmondflyer71.

Looks like you might have interpreted the availability wrongly I'm afraid.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Another one who hasn't done their homework........go stand in the corner Richmondflyer71.

Looks like you might have interpreted the availability wrongly I'm afraid.
Help a newbie out! When I check AA.com I am able to create an itinerary for 75k miles each leg for a total of 450k miles for the 3 of us. Where did I go wrong? Should BA be able to book these or are they limited?

This is part of my homework
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:00 am

I think you are confusing AA miles with BA miles. It's not the same currency. BA's "prices" for sectors are different - just like you can't compare and $ directly.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:04 am

I'm guessing via DFW? look for each leg separately. I'm getting availability for some random dates no problem, but not for one journey. Sometimes the booking engine will route you right through, sometimes not. I'm a relative newb myself, still finding my way around the BA system, ideal it aint......
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Richmondflyer71
Help a newbie out! When I check AA.com I am able to create an itinerary for 75k miles each leg for a total of 450k miles for the 3 of us. Where did I go wrong? Should BA be able to book these or are they limited?

This is part of my homework
If you give me the dates and class of cabin I will certainly help you out....you can PM me if you want it kept secret.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL

You can only redeem Avios if there are AA milesaver awards available.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, DL Silver, SPG Titanium
Welcome to Flyertalk!

If you can post (or private message to me, once you have 5 posts) details of your trip, I will be happy to check it out for you! Whether it requires connections or not changes how many Avios are required but it does not affect your ability to redeem. So perhaps it is an issue on BA's end.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Richmondflyer71
For that mileage cost, you're looking at the availability for "Business/First AAnytime" awards on aa.com, which are only available to those with AAdvantage miles to burn. BA should be able to book an award where "Business/First MileSAAver" seats (or its equivalent in Economy) are available on aa.com. But as others have said, BA will price each connection separately, so caveat emptor.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:15 am

Yes the OP just got confused with the different award levels that show on the AA award search results.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.