Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LDNConsultant
This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Lucrative runs that have been reported under 3/TP - current availability not guaranteed
Route | Booking class | Fare | Booking channel | TPs | /TP | credit

American Airlines

SFO-LAX-MIA-CUN | A/A/I | 498 return | aa.com | 620 TPs | 0.80/TP | chris1979
ORD-STL-DFW-SJU | A/A/I | 458 return | aa.com | 520 TPs | 0.88/TP | timezonehopper
SFO-LAX-MIA-CUN-MIA-LAX-LAS | A/A/I/I/A/A | 581 round trip | aa.com | 620 TPs | 0.94/TP | courtster
AMS-LHR-LAX-SFO-JFK-LHR-AMS | I/I/A/A/I/I | 1641 round trip | aa.com | 630 TPs | 2.60/TP | mccorry
IST-LHR/LCY-JFK-EZE-MIA-LHR-IST | I/I/I/I/I/I | 2106 round trip | aa.com | 790TPs | 2.61/TP | nth_utsera_sth_utsera
45 day advance purchase required, minimum stay 7 days.

British Airways
LGW-MLA | R | 248 return | ba.com | 160 TPs | 1.55/TP | LDNConsultant
LGW-RAK | R | 280 return | ba.com | 160 TPs | 1.75/TP | mfgr
Book by 31/12/13 for this price.
JER-LGW-AMS | J/R | 259 return | ba.com | 160 TPs | 1.62/TP | joejet
LGW-JER | R | 181 return | ba.com | 80 TPs | 2.26/TP
LGW-AMS | R | 199 return | ba.com | 80 TPs | 2.49/TP
BRU-LHR//LCY-JFK-SEA (last bit on AA) and back | I/I/A | 1,529 return | probably have to phone up | 920 TPs | 1.66/TP | stifle
Outbound 12/4-27/4 or 25/6-24/8, min stay Sat night, ticket by 2/1/14

Royal Jordanian
BEY-AMM-AQJ | D | 255 return | rj.com | 160 TPs | 1.59/TP | DeanB

Malaysia Airlines
SIN-KUL-KCH | D | S$660 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 160 TPs | 2.12/TP |HPN-HRL
DEL-KUL-BKK | Z | INR41,666 return |malaysiaairlines.com | 360TPs| 1.15/TP| Seshy
DEL-KUL-NRT | Z | INR92,395 return |malaysiaairlines.com | 560TPs| 1.64/TP| Seshy
ICN-KUL-SYD/MEL | Z | KRW1,582,600 return |malaysiaairlines.com | 560TPs| 1.65/TP| armagebedar
SIN-KUL-DXB | Z | S$1084 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 360 TPs | 1.50/TP | qasr (+long haul equipment on KUL-DXB)
SIN-KUL-TPE | Z | S$1078 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 360 TPs | 1.49/TP | qasr
SIN-KUL-DEL | Z | S$1018 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 360 TPs | 1.41/TP | qasr
SIN-KUL-KTM | Z | S$1006 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 360 TPs | 1.39/TP | qasr

Qatar Airways
CAI-DOH-BKK | 759 return | D/D/D/A | 360 TPs | 2.10/TP ExpatSomchai
DME-DOH-SGN | I | 1255 return | qatarairways.com | 560 TPs | 2.25/TP |continentalclub
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point runs | 2013 master thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:05 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Decided to squeeze a run into an already existing trip as I had to go from Seattle to Chicago in early October anyway and who says, that you cannot fly via SJU

AS 612 SEA-LAS 12:35 - 14:57 (positioning flight)
AA 2016 LAS-LAX 17:05 - 18:15 | P | 60 TP
AA 204 LAX-MCO 21:50 - 05:30 (+1) | P | 210 TP
AA 1197 MCO-MIA 07:25 - 08:30 | P | 60 TP
AA 1845 MIA-SJU 11:50 - 14:25 | I | 40 TP (night in SJU - actually the first time, as my previous runs on US were immeadiate turnarounds)
AA 633 SJU-DFW 10:45 - 14:45 | I | 140 TP
AA 2362 DFW-ORD 16:30 - 18:55 |P | 60 TP

Should be 570 TP. It would have been possible to fly DFW-STL-ORD on AA earning an additional 60 TP, but the connection time in STL would only be 35 minuntes and I did not want to miss the flight as I have to be in ORD in the evening.
It would have been also possible to catch an earlier flight out of MIA and a later ouf of LAS. My reason to book this was to have an alternative flight if something goes wrong.

Since I wanted to avoid having everything on separate tickets, I booked everything in one ticket (i.e. incl. the AS segment) on AA ticket stock using a travel agent.

Rate was the same as on AA and AS

The only thing I worry about it the weather in October ...
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
AS 612 SEA-LAS 12:35 - 14:57 (positioning flight)
AA 2016 LAS-LAX 17:05 - 18:15 | P | 60 TP
AA 204 LAX-MCO 21:50 - 05:30 (+1) | P | 210 TP
AA 1197 MCO-MIA 07:25 - 08:30 | P | 60 TP
AA 1845 MIA-SJU 11:50 - 14:25 | I | 40 TP (night in SJU - actually the first time, as my previous runs on US were immeadiate turnarounds)
AA 633 SJU-DFW 10:45 - 14:45 | I | 140 TP
AA 2362 DFW-ORD 16:30 - 18:55 |P | 60 TP
What was the price, if you don't mind me inquiring?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:53 am

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Is the Y LAX-LAS on arrival joined to the BA booking? .
C-W-S many thanks for the TP and lounge advice. I have yet to buy the initial LAX/LAS, so not sure I can now get this linked to my LHR/LAX trip (already booked in paid WT+), so will count this as 10TP for the moment. Looks like the entry AA fare is currently 35 for this leg, though I am a bit confused by the various economy "upsells" on the AA site.

Since as a OW Emerald, most charges (like Baggage) are waived on AA as far as I can tell, there seems nothing wrong with just going for the most basic fare. Shows as booking in O class which still attributes 50% TP if I believe the info on the BA site.

I'm guessing the best advice is to book the first possible LAX/SFO for the day to minimise risk of delays upsetting the day out.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PWOZUK
I'm guessing the best advice is to book the first possible LAX/SFO for the day to minimise risk of delays upsetting the day out.
For the LAX-LAS bit, just ring up BA and ask "how much to continue to LAS", however I can't see it costing just 35! O class does indeed get 10 TPs (and 1,000 Avios if Gold), so a bit of a bargain frankly. Just allow a good 2 and ideally 3 hours for getting from TBIT to T4.

Indeed it is best to get on the first flight (though I don't think the aircraft behind AA169 starts its day at LAS) since it's more likely to be on time for departure, and at low risk for arrival. From there on in things can deteriorate. Having said that, I had two separate US trips in the last month, though neither were TP runs (TPs are not something I need to worry about!) they did involve a series of shuttles around the US. On the 20 or so flights only one was disrupted, where I was downgraded on to a later flight, and that was due to the Asiana incident at SFO, which has now been fully resolved. The situation is a lot better than a year ago where there was an unofficial "work to rule" by staff, which was a nightmare. Staff morale has improved a lot in recent months.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jul 19, 2013 at 5:28 am Reason: missing word
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
Since I wanted to avoid having everything on separate tickets, I booked everything in one ticket (i.e. incl. the AS segment) on AA ticket stock using a travel agent.

Rate was the same as on AA and AS

The only thing I worry about it the weather in October ...
There's no benefit, on AA, in having it on one locator, provided you have respected AA's MCT (which are ludicrously short anyway). In fact if you have an irrop with a mass of segments it is harder for the staff to make sense of it all, and you may be rebooked on the first direct service to the end point. Furthermore after an irrop they tend to "clean" out duff sectors and that may make it difficult to argue precisely why you have a pressing need to to go SFO for 90 minutes.

For normal travellers this is a huge benefit, for TP runners it defeats the whole purpose! So my advice would be (and this applies to non TP runners too), break the tickets into "logical" break points. So in this case I would certainly break the ticket at SJU, and possiblly MCO too.

October is normally the perfect month, particularly given the airports you are using. Good luck!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
What was the price, if you don't mind me inquiring?
840 EUR (incl. taxes and credit card charges) and incl. the AS flight from SEA to LAS in V class
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:55 am

There's no benefit, on AA, in having it on one locator, provided you have respected AA's MCT (which are ludicrously short anyway). In fact if you have an irrop with a mass of segments it is harder for the staff to make sense of it all, and you may be rebooked on the first direct service to the end point. Furthermore after an irrop they tend to "clean" out duff sectors and that may make it difficult to argue precisely why you have a pressing need to to go SFO for 90 minutes.

For normal travellers this is a huge benefit, for TP runners it defeats the whole purpose! So my advice would be (and this applies to non TP runners too), break the tickets into "logical" break points. So in this case I would certainly break the ticket at SJU, and possiblly MCO too.

October is normally the perfect month, particularly given the airports you are using. Good luck!
I see this a little bit different - to me having ticket in different fare classes and on different airlines has had some benefits in the past.

Where are the advantages? For example, if there is a schedule change you have a better point of argumentation if everything is booked on one ticket instead of different ones, because then the airline has to take all flights on the PNR into account and not just the ones of one ticket. In so far, contrary to you, I recommed to book especially position flights in one ticket.

Let me give me an example. A position filght arrived at 14:00, the MR flight leaves at 16:30, usually sufficent time. Then a schedule change means the flight arriving at 14:00 got caneled, you were rebooked on a flight arriving at 15:15. A few weeks later, your MR Start flight was vicitim of a schedule change and and now leaves at 15:55. This could be close, especially if the MCT is 45 minutes.

I agree that the flight from SJU - DFW - ORD had not necessarily to be on the same PNR though. And if you book the trip with less time in advance, this could be also seen different, but I have had time changes to tickets shortly before or even during a trip ...

Believe there is a (real) reason for a longer layover ... And I usually book the later connection if the first one is close to MCT. I prefere to avoid a misconnection by having enough time to make the connection even with a delay. My experience from flights on AA, UA, US since 2007 was that people with tight connections, which have missed their flights have been rebooked on direct flights, while I made my connection without neet to rebook me.

During a run to SJU on US a few years ago, this had saved me to make a retro credit and flying transcon in Y instead of F as the flight misconnected. Of course you could argue US is not (yet) AA.

So I guess it is everybodys own preferences and own experiences in the past which matter. I fully understand your point of view, though.

Thank you for your input and sharing your point of view ^
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:50 am

In fact if you have an irrop with a mass of segments it is harder for the staff to make sense of it all, and you may be rebooked on the first direct service to the end point. Furthermore after an irrop they tend to "clean" out duff sectors and that may make it difficult to argue precisely why you have a pressing need to to go SFO for 90 minutes.
Although on BA, not AA, I had a hard time maintaining a JFK-LHR-MAD-FCO routing after hurricane Sandy. My requirement to drop off documents in person to someone meeting me at MAD wasn't a good enough reason... Managed it eventually though
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
If you don't fly your originally scheduled TP run through no fault of your own, rather the airlines, traditionally you can get retroactive credit on your itinerary as originally booked rather than as flown...
Back when I did MR/TP runs I therefore viewed irr-opps as the equivalent of getting out of having to do your homework....
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by alexwuk
If you don't fly your originally scheduled TP run through no fault of your own, rather the airlines, traditionally you can get retroactive credit on your itinerary as originally booked rather than as flown...
Back when I did MR/TP runs I therefore viewed irr-opps as the equivalent of getting out of having to do your homework....
Life with AA is rather different, however. Broadly speaking with AA you get what you actually fly. If you get re-routed on to another airline then you may be in with a chance. Otherwise if it's mechanical you may get a refund or compensation but not the the TPs. If it's weather related you won't even get that. If you don't fly you get nothing. So you pay for First, get downgraded to Main Cabin, and get 20 TPs if you are lucky, 10 TPs if you are not. AA will of course offer you the next First seat available, but that may be 3 days away. It sometimes works to your advantage if they add on an indirect routing of their own construction in order to get around the irrop.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:47 am

Any experience of weather re-routing and ORC with BA?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by angatol
Any experience of weather re-routing and ORC with BA?
Yes, this has never been an issue for me at least, sometimes it gets added without asking for the original routing credit. Also because BA is so London centric, most of the alternative routings end up the same TPs anyway. Most recent example was in November when Jack Frost and GGL sent me on Virgin to the US. Got BA's original credit without asking (and I may have had some from SunRise Boy too, but I am not sure I want to admit to that here).
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:52 pm

Yes, this has never been an issue for me at least, sometimes it gets added without asking for the original routing credit. Also because BA is so London centric, most of the alternative routings end up the same TPs anyway. Most recent example was in November when Jack Frost and GGL sent me on Virgin to the US. Got BA's original credit without asking (and I may have had some from SunRise Boy too, but I am not sure I want to admit to that here).
Ok, but in my case it was AAA-XXX-YYY-BBB rerouting to AAA-XXX-BBB. Original and new flights still on BA. I wonder if that would've been so straightforward.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
After some advice in another thread, I'm now considering a tier point run while in USA next month. Thr best seems to be a Saturday day-trip JFK-BOS for just over 300, (fixt class) according to American airlines

Just to make sure I'm getting this right: is it enough that I make the booking on aa.com and supply my BAEC number? I gather all AA flights attract tier points. Or is it safer to make the booking over the phone?

I only need to make 100 points for silver, so any other recommendations for flights out of NYC are welcome.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by GadgetGal
Just to make sure I'm getting this right: is it enough that I make the booking on aa.com and supply my BAEC number? I gather all AA flights attract tier points. Or is it safer to make the booking over the phone?

I only need to make 100 points for silver, so any other recommendations for flights out of NYC are welcome.
Yes it is sufficient to book on AA.com. Don't log in, but at your BAEC number when you get to the booking details. You will find BAEC a drop down option on the right of the screen, enter your BAEC number below, and don't change it thereafter - just leave it. So long as your boarding card say EMD (or ExPlat if on the App) your TPs should arrive 3 or so days after the flight.

You can do cheaper trips per TP, but you'd either need more time or be in a better location that NYC. If you wanted a day trip to BOS anyway then you've made a reasonable choice. Other options include Washington (ideally the DCA service, not all services have a First cabin) or Chicago, which is much further away. If you want ideas, just download the AA timetable in pdf format, and double check the service offers First.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.