Wiki Posts
Search

Another DYKWIA incident?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2012, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH diamond
Another DYKWIA incident?

Sitting in a BA lounge when a man storms in saying in a very loud voice how he is so angry for the lounge attendant for speaking to his wife "that way"!

Scenario: he is flying BA and is an "elite" ( he never said what kind of card). His wife is non-elite and flying Lufthansa. He is leaving in 20 min for his flight. Her flight leaves in 4hrs! He is angry because the FD at first would not allow his wife in as a non-BA/non-one world customer into the lounge. Then relented after some stomping and angry harrumphing (on the man's part) but was told his wife could not stay after he leaves.

He continues to go on and on very loudly in the lounge (nearly shouting), supposedly speaking to his wife, about how if he had more time he would address this with "higher ups" and "no one treats his wife like that"! And how he is "elite" and can't be treated like that.

Pretty bad, DYKWIA, huh?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The man must have been made a fool of in front of his wife. No doubt he understood that she was allowed access as a guest and they had spoken about it together.

Sometimes people do behave in exactly this way when something unexpected and embarrassing happens. I have even done it once or twice myself (although not to quite the same extent).

That does not mean it is the right thing to do. But it is understandable.

We should also remember that until comparatively recently BA offered open doors to Golds.

I think that in this case we should give the chap the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by Sixth Freedom; Dec 26, 2012 at 3:08 am
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:00 am

Programs: MUCCI
People like that should have their elite privileges withdrawn.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:04 am

An all too common sight in LHR T5 these days, I'm afraid. I guess it is a byproduct of holding "status" and expecting to use said status to achieve what you want, whether inside or outside of the published rules.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Short Final
People like that should have their elite privileges withdrawn.
And frankly, if my husband ever behaved like the one described in the OP's post, I'd give him a severe reprimand. Really severe. For embarrassing me and himself and for causing nuisance to others. I'd tell him in no uncertain terms that he was never to behave that way.

How belittled would his wife feel for her husband to behave like that? I feel sorry for the lounge staff, his wife and people who heard the kerfuffle.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
How belittled would his wife feel for her husband to behave like that?
You'll probably find that by now she is used to it, as it will have occurred previously. This guy sounds like a bit of an oaf to me.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
The man must have been made a fool of in front of his wife. No doubt he understood that she was allowed access as a guest and they had spoken about it together.

Sometimes people do behave in exactly this way when something unexpected and embarrassing happens. I have even done it once or twice myself (although not to quite the same extent).

That does not mean it is the right thing to do. But it is understandable.

We should also remember that until comparatively recently BA offered open doors to Golds.

I think that in this case we should give the chap the benefit of the doubt.

Well said - we are all very quick to judge.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver
Clearly his attitude is reprehensible, but one thing to add is that I have frequently guested colleagues who are on different airlines into my lounge, and conversely been guested into theirs. So it's not unreasonable to have expected that BA would be accommodating here.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:30 am

Programs: Meh
Have to share this one. In the BLR lounge one early morning where an young Indian chap is trying to fix the coffeee machine, I was in line and the guy eventually fixed it, leaving a small mess. The German person behind me literally screams at him to clean it up, startling both of us. Way over the top.

Then our flight is cancelled and all F and CW seat holders go into one line. Said German chap barges to the front and bullies the BA staff into sorting him out.

Anyway, back to the hotel BA lines up for us and the line is massive and the hotel staff are really struggling. Same guy barges through the line to complain about his room, and wants it changed. At this stage I suggest he joins back of the line...he ignores me but is told to wait, much to his anger.

Then, I sopt him sittign in 2A the next day and ignore him, until the chap in 1A gets his seat stuck and the FA is assisting him. Mr. 2A gets out of his seat and lectures them both about disrupting the ambience and telling them basically to shut up. I went back to the FA and told her to ignore this man, and he plainly has co-existence issues with the human race.

I can only deduce this man is very high strung and very sad deep down.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:32 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 5:52 pm
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:35 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by stevie
Have to share this one. In the BLR lounge one early morning where an young Indian chap is trying to fix the coffeee machine, I was in line and the guy eventually fixed it, leaving a small mess. The German person behind me literally screams at him to clean it up, startling both of us. Way over the top.

Then our flight is cancelled and all F and CW seat holders go into one line. Said German chap barges to the front and bullies the BA staff into sorting him out.

Anyway, back to the hotel BA lines up for us and the line is massive and the hotel staff are really struggling. Same guy barges through the line to complain about his room, and wants it changed. At this stage I suggest he joins back of the line...he ignores me but is told to wait, much to his anger.

Then, I sopt him sittign in 2A the next day and ignore him, until the chap in 1A gets his seat stuck and the FA is assisting him. Mr. 2A gets out of his seat and lectures them both about disrupting the ambience and telling them basically to shut up. I went back to the FA and told her to ignore this man, and he plainly has co-existence issues with the human race.

I can only deduce this man is very high strung and very sad deep down.
^
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by angatol
Which alliances allow status holders to guest someone not flying on that alliance?
Maybe this only works in third party lounges, but I have guested a LH-ticketed colleague flying from HAM-DUS whilst I was flying BA HAM-LHR.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:39 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:37 am
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by angatol
It's not allowed according to oneworld lounge access rules, so sounds more like they didn't notice or didn't realise it.
Possibly, have done it quite a few times though. Ironically HAM's lounge is hardly worth being guested into anyway.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 4:42 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by rossmacd
You'll probably find that by now she is used to it, as it will have occurred previously. This guy sounds like a bit of an oaf to me.
Aye. There's a reason why his wife was on a different flight.* Maybe the HAM lounge can be more generous because it isn't popular?

*Apart from having a different destination of course

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.