Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Onboard Upgrade Trial - Starts 17th December

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard Upgrade Trial - Starts 17th December

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
.....oh nice one, I do like a girl in uniform !
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Littlegirl

I tell you what, I am starting to wonder what kind of people actually post in this board.

There seems to be some very petty small minded comments going on today.

Crew often arrive at the aircraft early and very rarely late.
Absolutely! We very rarely get the chance to go to Duty Free, especially on Mixed Fleet where there is a preference for us to walk through the airport as one crew. If we do get the chance to go to duty free, it is because there is sufficient time outside of the Critical Path which we always work to and even then at the discretion of the Captain and the CSM.

I have to say, I've been checking FT less and less recently, and certainly contributing less, because of the way that threads quickly descend into slagging matches. It's demotivating to think this is the way some of our alleged most frequent fliers think of us and I'd rather keep away from that sort of negativity. God knows I'm not in it for the money ...
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by A P Yu
And away from the UK you also need to wander round the duty free shop in pairs or small groups arriving at the aircraft whenever really
Come on grow up... what do you have against FAs?

I have never seen BA's FAs wondering around, others yes, but BA, and even the others, they usually aren't that far from the gate.

Good lord someone needs to shed some meanness.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I tell you what, I am starting to wonder what kind of people actually post in this board.

Please don't be despondent about some of the troll-type messages. Best just to ignore them.

I'm finding the thread most informative thanks to you, Lite and some others, even if much of my learning has very little to do with the thread title.

Please continue in the way you are good at.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Crew don't delay departure to 'wonder round duty free shops'!!
That would only be allowed if they were ahead of schedule. In Europe often the aircraft is not even on the ground!!

Crew often arrive at the aircraft early and very rarely late.
In fairness to A P Yu he isn’t normally a stirrer, maybe he hasn't taken his medication today? (joke)
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold.
While I reckon onboard upgrades are a good idea per se I just couldn't get my head around the whole 'targeted passenger' nature of it. Or the reasons for it. I mean, surely anyone that gets onboard and says 'here's my credit card, can I upgrade to CW please' should be able to do it?

And then I remembered why we stopped doing onboard upgrades five or so years ago. Back then, you'd hand over your credit card and we'd fill out one of those old paper slips with your card details which you would sign and that was it. You could have cancelled your card in that morning - or a week ago. You could have £10 available credit. Nowhere near enough to cover those two £800 (that was the price back then) upgrades you just purchased. But fortunately for BA under the Credit Agreement the card companies shouldered any loss.

Then, in preparation for 'chip and pin' in the UK the Credit Agreement changed. Any loss of a transaction that did not involve entering a pin 'online' and the merchant would suffer the loss, not the credit card company. BA quickly discovered that a good percentage of their onboard upgrade sales were fraudulent. It was no secret that the transaction was not an 'online' one. And so, the practice was stopped.

Today you will be surprised to know, the system is not so different. Although we now use touch screen machines these are still not 'online' systems. They cannot check that funds are available or the validity of a card for any transaction. And thats where I think the 'targeted' nature of the trial will come in. With the ipad we have access to a lot of passenger information. My reckoning is that we will get a message for those Exec Club members sat in WT or WTP that have the points in their account to 'make good' the transaction. In other words, if they accept the offer of an upgrade and their card is a dud they will have the relevant amount of points deducted from their Exec Club account. Or so says my source in in-flight retail.

Which is a shame really. I would have loved to be able to reply to that couple (you get one every flight) that on boarding say "weve tried EVERYTHING to buy an upgrade on the ground because my husband/wife has a leg problem and needs extra room to stretch out but they said to ask the cabin crew when we get on board" no problem sir, if you give me your passport and credit card details i'll arrange it for you.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Roger
Please don't be despondent about some of the troll-type messages. Best just to ignore them.

I'm finding the thread most informative thanks to you, Lite and some others, even if much of my learning has very little to do with the thread title.

Please continue in the way you are good at.
+1

This is a good thread - I'm learning new and useful things from the CC posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:31 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Because we are in the companies time and we have what is know as Departure Process Critical Path to follow.
On WW we check in 90 minutes before departure, which is when our briefing starts.
We have a 15-minute briefing and then have 5 minutes to clear security.
We have 20 minutes to arrive at the aircraft.
12 minutes to complete our security and safety checks and start boarding at STD –38.
Thanks for the insight. Really interesting.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
Thanks for the insight. Really interesting.
You are more then welcome.
And to clarify, if we in the dutyfree shop it's because we have arrived at the overseas airport before STD -60 which is the time when we come on duty, so our own time not the companies.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Lite
I have to say, I've been checking FT less and less recently, and certainly contributing less, because of the way that threads quickly descend into slagging matches. It's demotivating to think this is the way some of our alleged most frequent fliers think of us and I'd rather keep away from that sort of negativity. God knows I'm not in it for the money ...
I am really and truly sorry to read this, though unfortunately I know exactly what you mean. Having said that please believe me that there are many, many fantastic frequent fliers in this forum (some of whom I've been privileged to meet) who really enjoy your postings, and also those from the other staff members. Maybe we should thank you all a bit more frequently, I know I should. It's also best not to respond to any provocative posting here, you're only feeding the beast. On the other hand be aware the silent majority (ok, just my perception) remain grateful for your insights.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:45 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Can I help you
You are more then welcome.
And to clarify, if we in the dutyfree shop it's because we have arrived at the overseas airport before STD -60 which is the time when we come on duty, so our own time not the companies.
Oh .. I'm not in the slightest concerned.

The interest is that it's obvious now you say it that these arrangements are precise .. but seeing how precise in black and white is really interesting.

I'm surprised that it just 12 minutes on board before we all descend on you ... as it always seems much longer than that to me.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I am really and truly sorry to read this, though unfortunately I know exactly what you mean. Having said that please believe me that there are many, many fantastic frequent fliers in this forum (some of whom I've been privileged to meet) who really enjoy your postings, and also those from the other staff members. Maybe we should thank you all a bit more frequently, I know I should. It's also best not to respond to any provocative posting here, you're only feeding the beast. On the other hand be aware the silent majority (ok, just my perception) remain grateful for your insights.
Actually some of us at the NCL Do were talking about how infrequently you guys are posting and wondering what happened.

I personally enjoy all the info that you give us and hence appreciate all the work that you guys do.^
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
Oh .. I'm not in the slightest concerned.

The interest is that it's obvious now you say it that these arrangements are precise .. but seeing how precise in black and white is really interesting.

I'm surprised that it just 12 minutes on board before we all descend on you ... as it always seems much longer than that to me.
That bit wasn't aimed at you.
To be honest the earlier we get on the more we can prepare and the smoother the flight goes.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Personally I think on-board upgrading on a carrier like BA is cheap (though not financially) and little bit vulgar, let alone disturbing to passengers and crew who are often stretched as they are to provide a drink service! With more and more people checking in online, surely this can be left to MMB (increase the font size!!) or have a big screen up showing directions for people to go to if they are interested?

I find duty free sales irritating enough without this as well - it may well work for "Weekend First" on trains where you get the huge privilege of a coffee and muffin but its only a matter of time before you get the excess baggage complications, GGL's upgrading and wanting their meal choice ahead of existing (but lower status) pax, people who will upgrade to find their IFE/seat/cabin cleanliness lacking and wanting comp...and the people who have actually paid to sit their in the first place suffer whilst crew are distracted with these matters.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold.
We just received an upgrade about the trial.

Says that the onboard upgrade will only be given to certain exec club members and is designed to 'surprise and delight'.

Also says that the 'floor limit' for the machines used to process the upgrade has been increase from £450 to £550 so that should give us an idea of how much an upgrade is likely to cost. ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.