Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Onboard Upgrade Trial - Starts 17th December

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard Upgrade Trial - Starts 17th December

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2012, 3:29 pm

Targeted customers?

I can just see the CSD offering an upgrade to the person in 52B who declines, and then 52C chips in with "oh, can I do it?"
Old Dec 16, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hyatt, Marriot, HHonors
Summary of Onboard Upgrade.

Trial Commencing on 17th Dec.
Selected Routes during the Trial. Some routes excluded due to Tax implications.
Targeted Customers
Very limited Numbers of Upgrades as dependent on Catering.
TP/Avios for Upgraded Cabin, provided underlying is not Redemption/AFU.
WT to WT+ pr WT+ to J. No J to F

Last edited by Getafix; Dec 16, 2012 at 4:13 pm Reason: Added Cabins
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Getafix
Summary of Onboard Upgrade.

Trial Commencing on 17th Dec.
Selected Routes during the Trial. Some routes excluded due to Tax implications.
Targeted Customers
Very limited Numbers of Upgrades as dependent on Catering.
TP/Avios for Upgraded Cabin, provided underlying is not Redemption/AFU.
The last point here is interesting... it seems to imply that you could do a 'double upgrade.' That is, upgrade using Avios from say, Y to W, and if 'targetted' onboard upgrade again to J. That would be nice.

I suppose it would all depend on the targetting criteria. I'm sure this is where the fun discussion will start...

Last edited by mccorry; Dec 16, 2012 at 4:17 pm Reason: Update due to new info on no J to F.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
For what it is worth, when I was opupped from DXB to LHR last year I was able to access the CCR after arriving at LHR for the connection to NCL.

Thank you.

I suppose though with this new trial is that you wouldn't have a new boarding pass to reflect the change? Someone has said above C to F won't be happening now anyway.

Will be interesting to see how the trial goes...... "What do you mean I can't have the Chicken Salad? I've just paid £xxx"
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hyatt, Marriot, HHonors
Originally Posted by mccorry
That is, upgrade using Avios from say, W to J, and if 'targetted' onboard upgrade again to F.
Added Cabins involved. no J to F.

Double Upgrade could be possible.
WT to WT+ AFU and Onboard to J. Which is same as now where AFU + Airport Upgrade.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Caribbean Miles Silver, Club Caribbean
Will this be offered at Gatwick?

I'm interested to see what is found by this trail.

Will these upgrades be offered when there isn't sufficient catering available in the cabin. I would think serving a WTP meal in Club would degrade the quality of the cabin a bit. TBH it wouldn't bother me once I get my seat and food

BA2158
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Interesting idea, and credit to BA for trying, but it sounds like it will be more trouble than it's worth
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: BAEC, LH M&M, EY Guest
Originally Posted by BA2158

I would think serving a WTP meal in Club would degrade the quality of the cabin a bit.

BA2158
Don´t they serve the Club meal in WT+ anyway?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Dia
Sounds very interesting, i'm travelling back from LAX to LHR tomorrow night and due to a last minute booking stuck in WT+. Would dearly love upgrading by any method to get a nights kip so will investigate and advise.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I applaud BA for trying this but it's the targeting part that's the most intriguing aspect for me.

Would priority be given to full fare passengers who may well have paid several times what a discounted fare passenger has and would the upgrade charge be variable or a set amount irrespective? Inevitably, those who don't fall highest into whatever the chosen order is are going to feel aggrieved by this move.

Should keep the BA board busy though!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
upgrade

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I applaud BA for trying this but it's the targeting part that's the most intriguing aspect for me.

Would priority be given to full fare passengers who may well have paid several times what a discounted fare passenger has and would the upgrade charge be variable or a set amount irrespective? Inevitably, those who don't fall highest into whatever the chosen order is are going to feel aggrieved by this move.

Should keep the BA board busy though!
it would be smart to target fullfare customers, or highest fare bucket customers + status customers. (top down)

status customers would be happy, and fullfare customers which are mostly corperate guys, could pay for C out of their own pocket. (as you all know, a lot companies do not allow C bookings anymore)

dp
Old Dec 16, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by mccorry
The last point here is interesting... it seems to imply that you could do a 'double upgrade.' That is, upgrade using Avios from say, Y to W, and if 'targetted' onboard upgrade again to J. That would be nice.

I suppose it would all depend on the targetting criteria. I'm sure this is where the fun discussion will start...
Presumably, this may be one reason why no UG to F is offered. Upgrading to W from Y involves a YBH booking class, pricey, and likely far more profitable than a T class booking in W, with the pax ending up in F for a relatively small total cash and Avios outlay.

tb
Old Dec 16, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Lobengula
This is he reason why this should be handled by the ground crew. The crew on the airplane is very busy and I admire their patience. Loading 300 pax on a 747 isn't easy. To add some pay for upgrade scheme seems a bit unrealistic to be honest.

Let the ground crew sort his out.
That's fine for those starting in London, but not necessarily for those connecting.

I once flew EDI-LHR-xxx and wanted to do a paid upgrade LHR-xxx leg. My flight into LHR was late and there was huge queues at the Customer Service desk. I went to the lounge to ask about a paid upgrade and they confirmed they it was available but they couldn't process it.

I had to go back to the Customer Service desks to queue but the flight was boarding so gave up.

Obviously its better to offer it to people on eh ground, but I think offering it on board is also a good thing for passengers.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: BAEC
Does anyone know the reason why it was originally dropped 5-6 years back?

There is the risk of losing the premium edge as others have said. Depends on how they'll approach it I suppose. Some might consider it one step too far into the world of LCCs.

Depending on which passengers are asked, I can imagine some being very disappointed that the offered upgrade isn't free! 'If I'm so valued to have been one of the few to be asked, then why am I being made to pay...'

We'll see.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by waspsl
Sounds very interesting, i'm travelling back from LAX to LHR tomorrow night and due to a last minute booking stuck in WT+. Would dearly love upgrading by any method to get a nights kip so will investigate and advise.

I just dropped off a colleague at LAX this evening for the 20:40 flight and he was offered Y to J bypassing W for $500. He has no status whatsoever (but he is very, very good looking ). He emailed me from the lounge saying he took the offer up without hesitation.

I am on the 20:40 on Tuesday and have already been op-upped from W to J.

So my guess as a GCH is that you will have options tomorrow and may already have been upgraded as the flights are all o/s down the back.

good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.