Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Manchester Do and Concorde Tour 15 March 2013

Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 16, 2012, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ *Gold

By popular demand , this thread is now open for you to register your interest. A particular welcome to anyone who has ventured here by following the link from TalkMail or the Community Buzz Do Thread. Everyone* is welcome at this do. FT is a diverse bunch of people and the DOs always reflect that. At the recent Newcastle DO we had a significant number of Newbies and plus ones who all had a great time despite any reservations they might have held about meeting up with a random bunch of weirdos from t'internet......well of course there is nothing random about us at all

The Do has two elements, the Main Evening Do at Waxy O'Connors in the City and a private Champagne Tour of Concorde. (The "Bread and Wine" style drinks event on the Saturday received little interest and is no longer going ahead).

It should be a great weekend to visit Manchester if you are not local, as it is the St Patricks Day weekend, and the city makes a big deal out of it. There is a parade on the Sunday, and a market in Albert Square on the Friday and Saturday. There will be entertainment in the pub in the form of an Irish duo "Quaire Craic" who perform a few sets over the evening, starting around 6 p.m.

Also in the area (if you are around before the Do starts at 5.30 p.m.) is the National Football Museum, Harvey Nicks, Selfridges, The Arndale Centre and lots more just off the Exchange Square area.

*sorry but Waxy's is strictly over 18s. There is no height restriction for the Concorde Tour, which suggests it is fine for children.

Directions to the Concorde Tour - 1.30 p.m. drinks, 2 p.m - 3.30 p.m. tour
http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/m...oncordeContact

Location for the Main Do - 5.30 pm till late
The venue is within walking distance of both Piccadilly and Victoria rail stations (although closer to Victoria the tram runs between them, closest stop is Shudehill (I think)).

Trains from Manchester Airport run every 10 mins and take 20 mins and arrive into Piccadilly.

Map 1 - City Centre with Waxy O'Connor's location and Flyertalker Hotels:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...18107,0.045447

Map 2 - Manchester Airport - Hotel and pick up locations

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...18157,0.045447

The Printworks Complex and Waxy O'Connors Entrance

Waxy's is best accessed from Corporation Street. Keep the National Football Museum on your left (the glass building in the photo) and the Printworks on your right - Waxy's is the last establishment along that side of the Printworks. The very small entrance belies the size of the place inside.

Once in, you have to bear to your right and down a set of steps. At this point go straight on keeping the bar on your left. Up a few steps to the right are the red and green rooms - there should be signs saying the areas are reserved and I'll bring a couple of FT logo signs too.

Accommodation
There is a huge amount of accommodation in Manchester, the vast majority of which is very LGBT friendly (as is the city itself), with prices from around 50-60 for a 3 star a night. Most of the major chains/brands are represented here so there is a lot of opportunity for points stays - Doubletree near Piccadilly, Hilton Deansgate (now sold out even on paid stays), Radisson Blu near the Town Hall, Park Inn, Crowne Plaza, etc). There is also a decent choice of serviced apartments which can be good value. Park Inn is 19k Goldpoints, Radisson Blu 44k. Holiday Inn Express MEN is 15k points plus about 25. Doubletree 35K HH points. Many people are finding rates at the 4* city centre properties for less than the 3* places at the moment, so don't assume Premier Inn or Travelodges are going to be cheapest unless they have one of their real cheapo sales on.

Hilton at the Airport is (was) very reasonable at 57 (now 79, or 35k HHpoints or 17.5K miles plus 37) but probably not VFM at that rate unless you are points rich). Radisson Blu at the Airport currently 68 via Trivago. The Hilton at the Airport does involve a walk from the train station which is between T2 and T1, trains run till very late. However, the hotel does operate a courtesy minibus, so with some coordination this could work well for those staying there.

Last edited by RedVee; Mar 10, 2013 at 7:52 am
Old Dec 16, 2012, 7:49 am
Original Poster

The Main Event

The Main Event

List of Main Event Attendees Here

The Do venue is confirmed to be at Waxy O'Connors in the Printworks , where we are allocated the Red and Green Rooms. The rooms are booked from 5.30 p.m. till late for drinks, with food around 7.30 p.m.

Here is the Bar Menu
Of course no-one is under any obligation to eat, but from my experience so far I would hate to get between a flyertalker and some food With the numbers attending the bar menu looks like the best to suit a wide variety rather than the three course menus.

"Quaire Craic" will be performing several sets during the evening. It is also Comic Relief night, so there is a general invitation from the bar staff to wear Red Underwear or pay a fine if challenged and you're not but no pressure to join in with this if you don't want to.

Venue acessibility is generally good, with a lift to the Church Bar area. However, there are a couple of steps up to the Red and Green Rooms so please let me know if this is an issue for you.

The attendance list also shows where fellow FTers are planning to stay and possibilities for lounge meet ups/guesting opportunities.

Last edited by RedVee; Mar 14, 2013 at 3:36 pm
Old Dec 16, 2012, 7:50 am
Original Poster

The Concorde Tour

The Concorde Tour

LIST OF CONFIRMED ATTENDEES HERE

And a taster of what you can look forward to HERE

Keeping the Do slightly more aviation related, there is a private (champagne) tour of Concorde on the Friday lunchtime - please indicate if you would be interested in this so we can gauge demand. My Co Host - the legendary DYKWIA will be organising this part of the event and will be maintaining the list of confirmed attendees in the link above. I'll try to keep up the overall attendance in post 2, but DYKWIA's list is final. The tour consists of a Champagne Reception at 1.30 p.m. followed by a 90 min tour of the lovely G-BOAC. Cost to be finalised but a minimum of 15 plus the reception. If you are coming from LHR, the BA1390 and BA1372 get in in time for this - or BA2906 from LGW. Transport arrangements are still in progress , but if any local MAN FTers are willing to assist with transport please let DYKWIA or RedVee know. Pick ups for the Tour will be sorted when we know who is going and where they are starting from.

Last edited by RedVee; Feb 17, 2013 at 2:30 pm
Original Poster

The Main Event Attendees

Yee-Haw!

1. Thundercat/Main Do/Concorde Tour/Hotel: Holiday Inn Express/Arriving by car - can offer lifts to/from tour if necessary
2. Peter01/Main Do/Concorde Tour/Hotel: McDonald Manchester Hotel and Spa/Arriving by Train into Picaddlly
3. RedVee/Main Do/ Concorde Tour/Hotel: Hilton Deansgate/Arriving by car - can offer lifts to/from tour
4. Ms RedVee Concorde Tour Only
5. Angelodades/Main Do/Hotel: Hilton Manchester Airport/Arriving BA1394
6. Angelodades +1/Main Do/Hotel: Hilton Manchester Airport/Arriving BA1394
7. Corporate-Wage-Slave/Main Do/Concorde Tour/Arriving BA1372
8. Fruitcake/Main Do/Hotel: Hilton Manchester Airport
9. Mrs Fruitcake/Main Do/Hotel: Hilton Manchester Airport Arriving into MAN on BA????
10. Lost Ethics /Main Do/ Concorde Tour/Hotel: Hilton Manchester Airport/Arriving BA1390 15/3
11. circumknowitall/Main Do/ Concorde Tour//Arriving by car can offer lifts to/from Concorde Tour and the City
12. Aporwol /Main Do/ Concorde Tour
13. SixthFreedom/Main Do/Hotel: Park Inn by Radisson/Arriving by Train
14. MrBambi/Main Do/Hotel: Midland?
15. MrsBambi/Main Do/Hotel: Midland?
16. OlyBeast/Main Do/ Concorde Tour/Hotel: Hilton Manchester Airport
17. DYKWIA /Main Do/ Concorde Tour/
18. Mrs DYKWIA /Main Do/
19. Master DYKWIA nephew Concorde Tour
20. Stevieed /Main Do/ Concorde Tour/Hotel: Hilton Manchester Airport arriving BA1386 15/3 and departing BA1375 16/3
21. AflyR/Main Do/ Concorde Tour/ Hotel: Renaissance/Arriving by car- can offer lifts back to city centre
22. VisualAd/Main Do/ Concorde Tour/Hotel: Hilton Manchester Airport/Arriving BA1390 15/3, Departing BA1389 16/3
23. Toothy/Main Do/ Concorde Tour/Hotel: Renaissance/Will have car - can offer lifts to/from tour
24. VolcanoMan/Main Do/ Concorde Tour//arriving BA1390 15/3 and returning BA1375 on 16/3
25. boadh398/Main Do/ Concorde Tour/Hotel: Hilton Manchester Airport/Arriving BA1386 on 15/3, Departing BA1375 on 16/3
26 and 27. Pangalactic + Little Miss Galactic (Daytrippers for just the Concorde Tour)/ Arriving BA1386 and Departing BA1405 15/3
28. forextrader/Concorde Tour
29. shorthauldad Concorde Tour
30. dxb-flyertalk Concorde Tour

22 for the Concorde Tour, 23 for the Evening Drinks/Food

P'raps?

1. Tobias-UK (DO + Concorde Tour?)
2. Pianomit (DO +Concorde tour if poss)
3. GodAtum (Concorde Tour only)

Lounge meet ups

15 March
- BA1386 LHR-MAN boadh398 guesting Panny and stevieed in the CCR (plus Little Miss as an under 2)
- BA1390 LHR-MAN VisualAd - Flounge - Guesting Angelodades
- BA1390 LHR-MAN VolcanoMan - Flounge - Guesting Angelodades
- BA1390 LHR-MAN LostEthics - GC but being guested into CCR by CWS
- BA1390 LHR-MAN Corporate-Wage-Slave Guesting LostEthics into CCR
- BA1394 LHR-MAN Angelodades and +1 as above

16 March
- BA1375 MAN-LHR boadh398 tentative
- BA1375 MAN-LHR Stevieed OFFER - can guest 1 into Terraces
- BA1375 MAN-LHR VolcanoMan- OFFER - can guest 1 into Terraces
- BA1389 MAN_LHR VisualAd - OFFER - can guest 1 into Terraces

Last edited by RedVee; Mar 12, 2013 at 12:14 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

A taster (although it's now under cover )

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 16, 2013 at 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Reserved for Travel arrangements to the Concorde Tour

At the moment we have offers/potential offers from the following people who are happy to offer lifts to the Concorde Tour. There will be plenty of people with cars going back into the city after, we can work that out on they day. As people confirm if they need picking up, I will fill in the spaces. Obviously, the pick up points are a work in progress until we know everyone's preferences. Further adjustments maybe needed for trim - for example my car couldn't cope with 5 six footers!

Pick up 1 - Manchester Airport Hilton (DYKWIA) 1 p.m. London contingent arrive BA1386 @0955
1. Pangalactic
2. Little Miss
3. Boadh398
4. DYKWIA nephew

Pick up 2 - Manchester Airport Outside T3 (Toothy) All arrive on BA1390 arrives 12:15
1. LostEthics
2. VolcanoMan
3. VisualAd

Pick up 3 - Manchester Airport Hilton (AflyR) at 1 p.m..
1. stevieed
2.. Olybeast

Pick up 4 - Manchester Airport Hilton and/or T3 (RedVee) 1 p.m. (meeting BA1390) .
1. Ms Redvee
2. Corporate Wage Slave

Pick up 5 - Manchester City Centre - TBC near Victoria/MEN and Piccadilly (Thundercat) at 12.45 p.m
1. Peter01

Pick up 6 Reserve - TBC - (circumknowitall)

Pick up 7 Reserve - TBC - (Aporwol)

Last edited by RedVee; Mar 14, 2013 at 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Saturday Fringe Addition

Not progressing due to limited interest and the Man U/Reading game now having a 5.30 KO

Last edited by RedVee; Feb 3, 2013 at 7:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The Manchester Concorde Do - 15th March 2013 - 13:30

The Concorde Tour at Manchester Airport Aviation Viewing Park is now confirmed. The itinerary is as follows :-

1:30pm Champagne Reception
2:00pm Tour

The tour will last around 90 minutes, and costs 15. The champagne will cost extra, but we'll sort that out nearer the time.

The current attendees :-

Definites...

1. Thundercat
2. Peter01
3. RedVee
4. Corporate-Wage-Slave
5. OlyBeast
6. DYKWIA
7. AflyR
8. VisualAd
9. Toothy
10. VolcanoMan
11. boadh398
12. Circumknowitall
13. DYKWIA+1
14. PanGalactic
15. Miss Galactic
16. forextrader
17. stevieed
18. LostEthics
19. Miss RedVee
20. dxb-flyertalk
21. aporwol

Possibles...

1. Excilencfc
2. Pianomit
3. price123
4. skye1

Please either PM me, or add your name to the end of the thread, and I'll update the list.

I've booked for 20 people, so get booking!!!

Last edited by DYKWIA; Mar 12, 2013 at 3:05 am
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:08 am

Would love to sign up but would be afraid that the attendance register would be locked
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: BA gold
Hell No!

At this stage, it looks likely I'll be stuck in Queensland on that date. Though it could change, hopefully. If not, I might see you in Wellington?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Poxball
Would love to sign up but would be afraid that the attendance register would be locked
Dear PB - FT DOs, although they may originate from one of the boards have to be truly open to everyone who might like to attend. And its amazing how much more human people are when they emerge from behind their computer keyboards

I've put you down as a P'raps!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: Meow Mix
We need to continue our advanced philosophical novelty item conversation.

Put me down as a yes and I shall see what train I can get up there!

/AE
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Put me down as a possible - have a date at Old Trafford at 3pm on Sat (unless Sky move the game) to see Man U lose (well I can dream )
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Physci
Put me down as a possible - have a date at Old Trafford at 3pm on Sat (unless Sky move the game) to see Man U lose (well I can dream )
You see - we even allow Reading supporters! You're in the list
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:45 am

I'm interested, although I have a longhaul booked on the 16th. Concorde sounds awesome too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.