CONFIRMED: BA B787 & A380 layouts

Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:03 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Missed chance for a proper WTP!

Thanks to the OP for sharing the layout info and the link.

Just would like to add that I am very disappointed about the WTP layout. With a seven-abreast seating in the mid of the UD it doesn´t seem to have any new elements or a special style.

Like the genuine Quantas layout with 32 seats, 2 toilets and thererfore a separated area at the end of the UD. With WT and WTP on the Upper Deck it won´t have any Premium feeling.

Also not convionced that they are able to sell 55 seats without heavy using reduced upselling offers during the MMB process.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
The rumour that I have heard is that the B787 will first be going to Calgary and then Baltimore, followed by China.
Interesting. I've heard a somewhat different rumour, though you're probably closer to those in the know.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by evanderm
Interesting. I've heard a somewhat different rumour, though you're probably closer to those in the know.
Would have thought launching the 787 on a notable new route, such as the much rumoured Chengdu would have made sense. Those NA destinations aren't exactly high profile routes. Still BA will do what they think is best.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
When i price out trips I often find the AA flights are discounted compared to BA CW. I end up paying a premium to fly on BA as I can sleep well in CW and they provide a better airport experience. If AA suddenly had a superior seat product it would be harder to justify the other attributes of BA as being worth the premium. After all, with a good sleeping seat and privacy i don't have to interact with AA FAs who vary from good to horrible and i can survive without my special meals. It should be around 2 years until AA really has their new J seats in a significant part of the fleet so perhaps in that time we will see an new BA CW product.
I agree, except that I end up picking AA whenever there are F uprades available. Once AA new J and F are rolled out, it simply won't even be a question anymore. As things currently stand, when I fly US-LHR-DXB, I look forward to flying BA on the LHR-DXB segment (at least when there is a 744 available). I have no doubt that once I am spoiled by a better AA product on the US-LHR segments going forward, the BA segment may not seem as appealing anymore.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by DWFI
Pretty much exactly as speculated, I think.
No surprises here, though the 3-3-3 in the 787...
Is anybody other than ANA actually using the 2-4-2 layout in Y on the 787?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
The 787 is supposed to be the big cost saver as well as an aircraft that can run thin/new routes, so may not always be used to pioneer new routes. I can see BA dumping 767's ASAP and replacing with 787's to actually make a profit, or make more towards their very high profit commitments
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by Can I help you
The rumour that I have heard is that the B787 will first be going to Calgary and then Baltimore, followed by China.
no one loves PHL
I have the potential merger of AA and US to look forward to, all those extra connections from US routes, I am never going to need to go anywhere via JFK or ORD again
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:18 am

I suppose the 787 will need familiarisation flights like the a380?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain
The 787 is supposed to be the big cost saver as well as an aircraft that can run thin/new routes, so may not always be used to pioneer new routes. I can see BA dumping 767's ASAP and replacing with 787's to actually make a profit, or make more towards their very high profit commitments
If the 788 is truly the replacement for the 763 is there any chance we might see them on EU routes with a flexible layout?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by gum
Thanks to the OP for sharing the layout info and the link.

Just would like to add that I am very disappointed about the WTP layout. With a seven-abreast seating in the mid of the UD it doesn´t seem to have any new elements or a special style.

Like the genuine Quantas layout with 32 seats, 2 toilets and thererfore a separated area at the end of the UD. With WT and WTP on the Upper Deck it won´t have any Premium feeling.

Also not convionced that they are able to sell 55 seats without heavy using reduced upselling offers during the MMB process.
This is a little silly isn't it? It's just another aircraft. The 'plus' is the bigger seat, more legroom and better catering. That is the premium over WT - not the size of the cabin. BA obviously feels that having 55 seats makes the most commercial sense.

Not BA's fault that Qantas doesn't feel they can sell as many premium economy seats as they can!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I'm not sure about this.

I was looking forward to BA's A380 as I felt it would level the playing field for a comparison to EK (who I flew almost exclusively until around 12 months ago). Doesn't look like it will be a level playing field.

EK has an exclusively premium upper deck. You board to the UD, turn left for F and right for J. The bar is shared for J and F. F cabin and showers are solely for F.

The new A380 terminal will further enhance EK's offering.

Flying DXB-LHR in J on EK you're picked up in a limo, taken to the exclusive J and F terminal, and checked in. Then you clear customs and immigration in the premium terminal. You take a lift to the lounge, and relax. For boarding, you board straight to the UD via the lounge and take your seat. The only way you'd even see a Y pax is if there was a gold using the premium terminal to check in, or you decided to leave the lounge to go shopping.

I'm not trying to belittle BA, but come on... What I've just described is just J on EK and it betters BA's F experience. The price is often better on EK.

I've given BA a fair crack of the whip. I'll hit Gold in Feb, so it's fiat to say I've experience a good amount of BA to offer an opinion. I just feel a bit... deflated.

This was their opportunity to offer a class-leading product. Unfortunately it would seem that they're happy being part of a pack.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI
But all of that doesn't help me if I'm in Europe and want to fly to the US. And even when flying to Asia I'd rather take the short hop here and sleep on the long journey than flying to mid-haul sectors.
Coming back to topic: We all know that one of the reasons for BA to come up with the CW seat layout was that with this layout they can squeeze in more seats in a row. That's no news so I don't know why everyone is complaining. The Seat is still comfortable (apart from the wibbly-wobbly footrest) and I actually felt lost in the SQ seat though it was nice as well.

I also don't understand why people want to avoid seeing Y pax at all cost. Does it make you feel guilty? I thought segregation stopped several years ago. There may even be a benefit, instead of one long priority lane there will be two shorter ones.
I do agree though, that they should have thought better of how you get from one CW cabin to the other one.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I don't think that BA can fit all the 'Premium' seating upstairs......
Old Dec 12, 2012, 4:39 pm

They'll have an idea of the proportion of seats each cabin that they want. I'm sure a lot of time was spent trying to find the best way to divide the cabins up overall.

I suspect it isn't as easy people think.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Is anybody other than ANA actually using the 2-4-2 layout in Y on the 787?
ANA have 2-4-2 on long haul and regional 787s, 3-3-3 on domestics
JAL have 2-4-2 on 787s (all long haul so far)
Current operators LOT, LAN, AI, UA, ET, and QR all have 3-3-3

Most are going for 2-2-2 in business. Except QR 1-2-1 and ANA 1-1-1/1-2-1 (alternate rows)

ANA have most and fewest seats in a 787 layout 335 (domestic) and 158 (international)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.