Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why should i use the Executive Club instead of AAvantage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012, 7:09 am
Original Poster

I am travelling to India from Seattle. If I use Avios, i would get 140 Tier Points with Avios, where as i get around ~20k status miles on American. It will be just short of 5k miles for lowest elite status. where as Avios, it is not even half way through..

Am I missing anything? I can also fly alaska to cover up the rest of the 5k to get the status on american.

BTW, This year, i am short of 20 tier points to reach to BA Bronze.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 7:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm not sure what class of seat you have but say SEA-BOM return via LHR in Club World is 560 TPs, just under Silver in one hit. If you went SEA-NYC-LHR-BOM it would be 640 TPs, or potentially even 980 TPs if you got the right tickets (ie. AA in First rather BA codeshare in business, which is actually First). Then if you went SEA-NYC-BOS-LHR-BOM then that would take you to 1100 TPs..... Also note that with a BA silver card you get to use the Admiral lounges when going domestic Y.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:01 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:17 am
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:02 am
Original Poster

I am not sure how you are getting that many..

I am checking SEA-LHR-BLR and HYD-LHR-SEA; I am getting 35 TPs per leg, which is 140 total TPs for the trip. this is Economy, where as British, I would get close to 20k.

For this trip, I am getting $1301 after 10% ba card discount on British Airways.

I assume this is the lowest fare (not flexible fare), and come up with the points based on this linke:
https://www.britishairways.com/trave.../en_us#results

Last edited by priceline; Dec 9, 2012 at 8:13 am
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
As with everything, which programme is best for getting status is ENTIRELY dependant on your flying pattern (short / mid / long) and travel class. BA is quicker in some scenarios, AA quicker in others.

If you're based in the US AA is presumably more convenient, long term, anyway.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
SEA is not a particularly great AA hub, so the following point is also worth thinking through.
OP, Is status or actually using the miles importantant to you? BA avios is not that friendly a programme for long-haul Economy (Y) redemptions. On the other hand shortish hops out of Seattle on Alaskan can be pretty good value using avios.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:48 am

priceline, the 560TP he suggested is in business class for BA. I am guessing you are purchasing the cheapest economy fair available right? That wouldn't be the right ones to buy if you are chasing elite status. You would prob want to AT LEAST buy premium economy if business class is not afforable
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Each programme has its own pros and cons and BA might not be the right one for you in this situation.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
If you are an economy flyer. Stick with AA as you can make progress via 100% miles counting towarss status.

On BA, you will get 100% miles but only 50% of eligible tier points.

Something else to consider is POUG to WT+, this cab massively increase your tier points earning capability.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

I am looking to purchase least economical and best convenient (one stop, plus start in SEA going to BLR and come back from HYD). World Traveler plus is double of cheapest economy fare, this is not worth it.

BA & Emirates are the only options for my requirement. BA would probably get me close to status on AA (though not much useful). Emirate would get me close to status on Alaska (which may not be much useful as I already have status on Delta). plus fares on British is cheaper with BA credit card 10% offer.

Any other options for me?

I will probably get DL Gold by end of the year. I have around 150k avios (thanks to earlier 100k ba bonus + my previous trips).
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)

Do you fly much domestic on AA ?

cs
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
What is wrong with flying BA and crediting the miles to AA?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:11 am

How did u get the 100k avios bonus ? I think the best offer in UK is the 52k bonus with the AmEx Platinum which I am thinking of applying
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:16 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by AceCobra1
How did u get the 100k avios bonus ? I think the best offer in UK is the 52k bonus with the AmEx Platinum which I am thinking of applying
Chase in America had a 100k sign up bonus. Followed by a heap of threads from Americans complaining about BA fuel surcharges, availability, etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.