Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Only Slightly OT - Virgin win EDI & ABZ Heathrow routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only Slightly OT - Virgin win EDI & ABZ Heathrow routes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Lightbulb Only Slightly OT - Virgin win EDI & ABZ Heathrow routes

Might stop SRB moaning....................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-20384801

Virgin Atlantic has been offered the rights to operate Heathrow links to Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

Sir Richard Branson's airline bid successfully for the London landing slots formerly operated by BMI.

The slots were released to others by regulators as a condition of allowing the takeover earlier this year of BMI by British Airways' owner IAG.

Virgin Atlantic intends to start operating the new services from the end of next March.

BA already flew between Heathrow and Scotland in competition with BMI, and the European Commission ruled that the London airport's scarce and valuable slots had to be released to other airlines for links to Edinburgh and Aberdeen, as well as Cairo and Moscow, where BMI and BA had previously competed.

Virgin Atlantic is to lease Airbus A320s from another operator on its new routes.

Its first move into short-haul flights began last August, when it announced a new route between Manchester and Heathrow, building on an often bitter, 28-year rivalry between British Airways and Virgin Atlantic.

The only other airline known to have put in a bid for the slots was Aer Lingus.

Steve Ridgeway, chief executive of Virgin Atlantic, said: "We have fought hard for the right to fly short-haul and take a strong challenge to British Airways within these shores.

"This is the beginning of an exciting new era in Virgin Atlantic history and we now feel a responsibility to everyone that has supported us in this challenge."

The airline is to finalise its timetable plans over the next two weeks.

Edinburgh Airport chief executive Gordon Dewar said the new regular service would provide choice for travelling to Heathrow and open up a new set of onward destinations for passengers.

Scotland's Transport Minister Keith Brown said it was a welcome announcement for both passengers and the air industry.

Mr Brown added: "The detail will be worked out over the next couple of weeks but we are pleased that the European Commission has taken note of the need for both Edinburgh and Aberdeen to be served and that Virgin Atlantic will now be able to operate from two of Scotland's most important cities."

So thats MAN, EDI & ABZ

When do the CAI etc winners get announced ?

cs

Last edited by cornishsimon; Nov 18, 2012 at 7:23 pm
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Scotsman.com
Virgin today said it had been offered all the short-haul take-off and landing slots available following the takeover of BMI by BA’s parent company, IAG.

It plans to begin services from around 31 March and will focus on “multiple daily flights” between Edinburgh and Aberdeen and Heathrow.

Scottish business groups and travel agents had been backing the bid to take on the so-called “remedy slots” to increase competition.

In September, Virgin Atlantic chief executive Steve Ridgway said hundreds of jobs could be created if the carrier secured the right to launch the Scottish flights. He added that the airline aimed to poach 40 per cent of BA’s passengers on the Aberdeen and Edinburgh routes.

The carrier said it would use the next two weeks to finalise its plans for the slots and confirm a flying timetable.

The routes will complement a .Heathrow-Manchester service Virgin is also introducing next year.

The airline said it was working with a leasing partner to provide narrow-body Airbus A320 aircraft to operate the short-haul flights.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Prospero

The airline said it was working with a leasing partner to provide narrow-body Airbus A320 aircraft to operate the short-haul flights.[/indent]

Do we know who yet ?

cs
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good luck to them.

Should bring the fares down on the LHR route which seem to have risen recently.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Good luck to them.

Competition is almost surely a good thing.

I am not sure that the fares have risen on the domestics as such, but rather due to higher demand inventory availability in lower classes have become harder to find.

Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:25 pm

Are they planning to start up a new airline then akin to Virgin Australia/America/Nigeria given that Atlantic is supposedly the international brand?

Some competition will be good for all of us. I have already started flying between LHR and MAN on my trips back to the UK due to the spiralling cost of rail travel.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phol
Are they planning to start up a new airline then akin to Virgin Australia/America/Nigeria given that Atlantic is supposedly the international brand?

Some competition will be good for all of us. I have already started flying between LHR and MAN on my trips back to the UK due to the spiralling cost of rail travel.
I think that the Atlantic brand could work quite well on domestic, since Atlantic operates out of LHR and the UK is an island situated in the Atlantic Ocean.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:25 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A525 Safari/8536.25)

Hopefully he will fly to Glasgow too. I have stopped flying British Airways to London Heathrow as it has become so expensive!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Great news. There was a noticeable hike by BA in their fares. Hopefully this will pull them down a peg or two.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:53 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by cornishsimon

So thats MAN, EDI & ABZ

When do the CAI etc winners get announced ?

cs
I was under the impression they got all the remedy slots. I don't believe anyone else bid for Nice, Riyadh, Moscow or Cairo ex lhr.

Given they don't have the rights to fly to Moscow they won't be able to use those slots.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I am not sure that the fares have risen on the domestics as such, but rather due to higher demand inventory availability in lower classes have become harder to find.
Yes, fares have increased (particularly on the GLA route). Whether it be a combination of offering less of the lower fare buckets for sale, lower capacity or increased fare bucket prices, prices have risen and noticeably so. MAN has also had the same affect, but not to the same degree.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ANstar
Riyadh
I wonder what the Saudi authorities will make of the flag bearer on the front of VS aircraft!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:31 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I wonder what the Saudi authorities will make of the flag bearer on the front of VS aircraft!
They managed with no major issues in DXB...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:33 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Good luck to them.

Yes. Last time I checked for a planned LHR-MAN, VS came in at circa 80GBP cheaper (for a similarly timed flight) - excellent.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by NoY
Good luck to them.

Yes. Last time I checked for a planned LHR-MAN, VS came in at circa 80GBP cheaper (for a similarly timed flight) - excellent.
Wow, that is quite a saving on a domestic fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.