Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Only Slightly OT - Virgin win EDI & ABZ Heathrow routes

Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Originally Posted by andset1191
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A525 Safari/8536.25)

174 seats...eek!
They (virgin america) run the a320s with 149 seats (including 8 in Domestic-lounger style F).

Would love to see that for Domestic UK.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by ANstar
Flights will be operated by Aer Lingus with staff in full VS uniforms and aircraft in Virgin Atlantic livery.

Initially 4 x A320's with 174 seats will be wetleased.

Hot breakfast service and snacks offered at other times.

All flights operate into LHR T1 with Scottish flights on sale from 21 December - lead in fares from 99 return.

3 daily x LHR-ABZ

6 daily x LHR-EDI
Not going out of their way to "out do" BA on the catering front then - just offering the same is hardly going to create any competition is it!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Dan72
Even the prices don't appear to be lower.
But the most important point for customers is that it stops BA from hiking up their prices - check the GLA-LHR prices to see what no competition can do!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Ivory (no more AF), Accor Plat, VS Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
Not going out of their way to "out do" BA on the catering front then - just offering the same is hardly going to create any competition is it!
Why would they want to "compete"; surely the name fo the game is to provide the service, lose as little money as possible but certainly not make it profitable so that in a couple or 3 years the slots can be reallocated to international flights without anyone else bidding to take them for LHR-EDI.

Personally, I like the Aer Lingus offering and hope it's de Virginised!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:18 am

Mr WW doesn't seem to think the Virgin brand will last long...

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...-may-disappear
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider

Makes sense. There cant be too many companies willing to buy 49% of a company and remain completely anonymous in running it.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
It's only really for traffic feed. I can see this as damaging to the Virgin brand as I expect many will expect something a la VX including the press. But in reality, it's a completely different type of short haul flight in a very different market.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:56 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider

And Richard Branson responds:

http://www.virgin.com/richard-branso...going-anywhere
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...

Wasn't one of the conditions of getting the slots that wet/dry leasing was not allowed?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:31 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver
This just seems like a costly mess, I reckon they won't last long beyond 3 years. Don't get me wrong I hope it does succeed though.

Why didn't the Competition regulators just give the slots directly to Aer Lingus instead of this confusing arrangement? EI is a semi-LCC so would probably be cheaper without a costly wet leasing and Virgin branded excersize.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by PotNoodle
This just seems like a costly mess, I reckon they won't last long beyond 3 years. Don't get me wrong I hope it does succeed though.

Why didn't the Competition regulators just give the slots directly to Aer Lingus instead of this confusing arrangement? EI is a semi-LCC so would probably be cheaper without a costly wet leasing and Virgin branded excersize.
I guess it's because this is the short term solution for Virgin to get everything up and running quickly, I can't imagine they would plan to run the routes long term in this way.

So the cynical would say it is so they can hold the slots with minimal investment until they can convince the authorities to let them use the slots for long haul routes. The less cynical view is that once they have proved the routes are viable they will buy their own airframes and employ their own staff, we'll see....
Old Dec 10, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by andset1191
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A525 Safari/8536.25)

174 seats...eek!
Hmmm, bit of a squeeze. 27 rows on the BA 320s is already tight, especially when the person in front reclines.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by srbrenna
Wasn't one of the conditions of getting the slots that wet/dry leasing was not allowed?
Apparently not!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Silver BD Silver

Current cheapest BA return from ABZ-LHR is £147 return ( was £98 when bmi was still alive) so lead in fares from Virgin of £99 will do nicely.

Did think they might up the quality of food to take on BA but with Virgin being £48 cheaper no real problem.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Shame it's not going to be one of these!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.