Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA will consolidate LHR T1 operations at T3/T5 in 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Aer Lingus will move to T2
Virgin's domestic services will also move to T2

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...iance,-aer-lin
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA bronze
VS are aiming to have their Dom flights in T3 as well as their longhaul

Don't believe all you read in the press!!!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Heathrow Airport
Virgin Atlantic. Virgin Atlantic is the UK’s second largest long-haul airline with a fleet of 40 aircraft. From summer 2013, Virgin Atlantic will operate domestic routes from Heathrow to Manchester, Edinburgh and Aberdeen following the award of ‘remedy slots’ as a result of IAG’s acquisition of bmi. These flights will initially operate from Terminal 1 (where bmi was based) before moving to Terminal 2 in 2014. Virgin Atlantic’s international flights will continue to operate from Terminal 3. Heathrow will continue to work with Virgin Atlantic on how its services might be co-located in the future.

Heathrow is still in discussion with those airlines which currently operate from Terminal 1 and are not members of the Star Alliance (El Al, Icelandair, Cyprus Airways, Germanwings and Transaero), about their future location when Terminal 1 closes. We expect to conclude these discussions in early 2013.
http://mediacentre.heathrowairport.c...pancy-3ea.aspx
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:44 pm

Let play top trumps

From Virgin:

"Following completion of this review, we have elected to remain in Terminal 3. We know our customers and our people love our unique facilities, our A-zone Check-in, the Upper Class Wing, Clubhouse, Gatehouse and Revivals and we will continue to work with Heathrow Airport to find ways to improve further on our unique ground offering.

Our immediate priorities are to achieve co-location in Terminal 3 of our short haul domestic and long haul operations.
"
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel ŕ PUCCI GALORE
Originally Posted by Speedbird218
"
Our immediate priorities are to achieve co-location in Terminal 3 of our short haul domestic and long haul operations.
"
Which would seem sensible if they want to seriously start to use a feeder model. Otherwise it's a largely pointless exercise that will make them want to revert to the West Coast Mainline. Hang on a minute...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:57 pm

Trouble is this review has been overtaken by todays events.

DL will not want their new investment in T3 and 2 or even just in T3 whilst they are in T4 with their AF/KL joint venture partners. None of us know the deal with SRB but I bet DL wont be as hands off at SQ were. They will want a return from their investment.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold

From Virgin:

"Following completion of this review, we have elected to remain in Terminal 3. We know our customers and our people love our unique facilities, our A-zone Check-in, the Upper Class Wing, Clubhouse, Gatehouse and Revivals and we will continue to work with Heathrow Airport to find ways to improve further on our unique ground offering.

"
Didn't someone say recently that T3 could not handle domestic flights, if so how will this work?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:00 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Wasn't it possible to walk between T2 and T3? It was effectively one joined up building?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Didn't someone say recently that T3 could not handle domestic flights, if so how will this work?

Someone on here said it could not handle domestic flights....That does not mean that is the case.. I imagine BAA are looking at various options on how to accomodate VS domestics.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver

DL will not want their new investment in T3 and 2 or even just in T3 whilst they are in T4 with their AF/KL joint venture partners. None of us know the deal with SRB but I bet DL wont be as hands off at SQ were.
This was the argument I was putting forward yesterday, however others seemed to think that DL will just have to put up with what SRB wants as he has a 51% stake in VS. This is unless SRB has agreed not to veto DL.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:02 pm

DL will not want their new investment in T3 and 2 or even just in T3 whilst they are in T4 with their AF/KL joint venture partners. None of us know the deal with SRB but I bet DL wont be as hands off at SQ were. They will want a return from their investment.
This announcement was made post the DL announcement.....
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965

Someone on here said it could not handle domestic flights....That does not mean that is the case.. I imagine BAA are looking at various options on how to accomodate VS domestics.
I agree, however I am sure I saw a reasoned argument (yes I know) rather than just opinion. This was something to do with the building layout being unsuitable as it was originally only designed for international flights.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:05 pm

This announcement was made post the DL announcement.....
Its been a 9 month review. Are you saying that HAL have known about the VS/DL deal all this time, or just they hurriedly re-wrote it today?

Nobody yet knows what affect DL will have on VS, but, the status quo isnt sustainable.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I imagine BAA are looking at various options on how to accomodate VS domestics.
Bus?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA

Except that Delta has said they are going to ask to move to T3 to be with Virgin. Will be interesting to see what actually happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.