Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Only Slightly OT - Virgin win EDI & ABZ Heathrow routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by ANstar
I was under the impression they got all the remedy slots. I don't believe anyone else bid for Nice, Riyadh, Moscow or Cairo ex lhr.

Given they don't have the rights to fly to Moscow they won't be able to use those slots.
Because Easyjet got the Moscow rights, presumably planned from Gatwick - does this mean Virgin have actually won bmi's Moscow LHR slots - but cannot fly there so therefore can fly elsewhere using them?

If so, would it have to be Riyadh, Cairo or Nice? Or Edinburgh/Aberdeen?

Or could they operate a new long haul route? Glasgow would be great too - must be on the list if the others are a success.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:45 am

It's great that there is competition on these routes. Virgin used to get a large feed through their agreements with bmi so in a way this will just restore that traffic.

Originally Posted by NoY
They managed with no major issues in DXB...
Saudi Arabi and Dubai are different in the way they handle things like that.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:00 am

I am tempted to fly on the first VS MAN-LHR service to see what it is like. Is anyone doing similar?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:04 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by NoY
Yes. Last time I checked for a planned LHR-MAN, VS came in at circa 80GBP cheaper (for a similarly timed flight) - excellent.

might be better to check the same fare buckets as I suspect most of the cheaper BA tickets had been sold.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:13 am

Programs: BA silver, Hilton diamond, Marriott titanium, IHG platinum

Key is price and frequency - can't see one VS 320 having much impact even if kitted out with Virgin America style white leather... BA now flying 767 wide body into EDI/GLA
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
I am tempted to fly on the first VS MAN-LHR service to see what it is like. Is anyone doing similar?
Already booked on the inaugural LHRMAN - know a few other that have too. ^
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:31 am

Will watch this with interest. If Virgin gets off the pot with *A there could be some fun times ahead for BA.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by seat 13a
Key is price and frequency - can't see one VS 320 having much impact even if kitted out with Virgin America style white leather... BA now flying 767 wide body into EDI/GLA
Frequency is definitely key on domestic p2p and connecting traffic. Look at BA to BHD. Full flights despite lowest fare being nearly twice the competition (EI). BA has seven rotations and EI three. Keeping the sensibly timed schedule is v important. Recent tinkering by BA (losing the early departure and late evening departures) might see the route come unstuck though!

I'd say you need four rotations to make a sensible schedule.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Edi prices were good until the end of March where the 767 is confirmed as operating but after March it only lists a 319 on the same flight the 76 operated a week earlier. Subsequently prices are high and I can't help but wonder if the Virgin service starting end-March is to do with it.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Depends whether VS can make the routes financially viable.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:21 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by johnny5a
I guess they have a good idea how many pax they currently interline from those ports onto longhaul at LHR so they presumably think they can make it work.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
At £47.55 for one-way from MAN-LHR and 1 TP, easy way of gaining status with them.
About £2 cheaper than BA for the dates I looked at with them leaving 10 mins earlier (and taking 10 mins longer?)

Last edited by xenole; Nov 19, 2012 at 5:37 am
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johnny5a
I would hope that it means that they can start matching BA with routes which are MAN - LHR - XXX, which at the moment are a PITA to book. As others have said, competition is good and despite the people on here who have negative comments about VS, they have a generally very good product which helps keep BA on it's toes.

T
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:35 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by toothy
I would hope that it means that they can start matching BA with routes which are MAN - LHR - XXX, which at the moment are a PITA to book. As others have said, competition is good and despite the people on here who have negative comments about VS, they have a generally very good product which helps keep BA on it's toes.

T
You can book the MAN-LHR flights online via the VS website (have been since August I think). It is much easier and seemless than the PITA flight connector tool that you used to have to use.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Emirates Skywards, Lufthansa, Accor A Club, S
I wish Virgin the best of luck on both the Aberdeen and Edinburgh routes but remain sceptical as to financial viability. BMI wasn't able to make a lot of dosh on the EDI route so I'm wondering how Virgin plans to do so. Still, it will be nice to have competition on my nemesis airport-Edinburgh-as I am sick fed up of delays on the BA flight to LHR from there. I must be the unluckiest traveller on that route as I cannot remember a time when there WASN'T a delay on BA flying EDI-LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.