Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Trip Report: LHR-AMS - My first ever TP run (gone wrong) :D

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report: LHR-AMS - My first ever TP run (gone wrong) :D

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2012, 4:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bullroot
indeed. The extra time spent posting and debating geeky minutiae seems to exempt one from the wrath of the forum regulars on the anal topics of whether eating something from the lounge, outside the lounge, is a felony hereabouts.

Turning up for a flight with the wrong passport, filling up with junk food because it's free, and nearly missing flight because you're in the toilet too long - jerry springer might be interested in discussing more.

How someone who posts so much on an alleged frequent flyer forum can forget their passport is beyond me, this is ff 101. But then again, Tesco's don't require passports I suppose. d'oh.
I must say I agree with your sentiments but not perhaps with the same vehemence.
I've done this route many times- drunk,stoned and sober - and never encountered any of problems the OP did.
But then my philosophy in life is that God always keeps one eye out for drunks and fools so that's me pretty much taken care of.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Well, this thread made it to the front page of FT, as a 'must read' and 'FT pick', so it must have struck a chord with somebody.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:15 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Are you sure you didn't have some UK coffee when you grabbed the wrong passport?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I was similarly bemused, it is as easy as pie in my view. Even my much more than 80 year old granny managed it a few months back. [Mind you there's a view that those from the North East of England can understand Dutch better than the rest of the UK since we have some shared dialect words]. I was going to suggest that maybe Panny should get out more, but then I rather fear for the consequences.

The one thing in Panny's mitigation is that after the recent building works, the display system on platforms is confusing since they've switched off some displays, and NL railways don't display all station stops - it's based on the train type. Though Centraal (CS) would be marked. The easiest way to work this out in Schiphol is that there is, over the main machine bank, a special display which indicates when the next train to main destinations is. You can spot this since the services on it are listed alphabetically, not in time order. This then indicates the platform / spoor.
I must disagree that the trains in the NL are easy to understand (maybe your Granny can give me lessons!) - I often travel to Utrecht via Schiphol - this used to be (and is now again ) a direct train which was all fine and dandy.
This year they changed to include a change of trains at Centraal, we dutifully boarded the train to Centraal - looked for the platform to Utrecht - asked some kindly Dutch people who were also going to the same destination -we were just about to change platforms when I noticed the sign on the platform we were leaving said Utrecht ! We nearly missed our train (not for the first time due to mis-information)
The easiest was our last trip when I asked for two tickets at the ticket office at Schiphol - the nice ticket lady says
- 'go outside and take the bus'
....'I don't want a bus - I want a train !'
......engineering works, so off on the bus we go to Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA (home to Ajax - what a stadium!), walk about 100 yards to the station and straight onto the Utrecht train -long live engineering works !!

My Dutch friends agree that their train service is screwy !!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
The flight left on time and arrived at Schipol on time too although we were given the tour of the airport by the plane on it's 15 minute journey back to the stand.
I had heard this was bad, but really it's ridiculous, that runway really is in the next town isn't it!
You should see Chicago O'Hare... 20 minutes to taxi in to the E gates. As I watched my connection time from the E gates to the C gates (which involves a bus ride) dwindle to a mere 25 minutes I almost wanted to cry. Thankfully I ran like the wind and made it.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by thomwithanh
You should see Chicago O'Hare... 20 minutes to taxi in to the E gates. As I watched my connection time from the E gates to the C gates (which involves a bus ride) dwindle to a mere 25 minutes I almost wanted to cry. Thankfully I ran like the wind and made it.
Sounds like what happens when you land the "wrong way" on Landebahn Nordwest at FRA and then take the looooong taxi to Terminal 2. Even worse if you're flying LCY-FRA as it's usually a remote stand right at the other end of the airport:

This can take the best part of half an hour if it's busy.

I once missed my train connection from the airport station due to this, almost €100 for a new ticket, not a happy bunny...
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by HIDDY
How condescending.
You could say that to many posts on this forum. The perceived elitism is endemic. The irony is that much of this comes from people who seem to rarely set foot on a ba flight and even then barely pay for it.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 3:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by bullroot
You could say that to many posts on this forum. The perceived elitism is endemic. The irony is that much of this comes from people who seem to rarely set foot on a ba flight and even then barely pay for it.
Hi bullroot, this isn't a dig at you, just some info to justify my existence here to those who think I'm one of those who rarely sets foot on a plane......

I have been on FT just over 1 year, by the end of this calendar year I will have "set foot" on a BA plane 16 times. (8 returns)

8 of those flights are pure redemptions
4 MFUs
4 paid cash

Based on those stats I believe have more than "hardly ever" paid for my flying, for whatever difference it makes.

OK, I'm sure there are people here who fly more than that in a month, but I'm still pretty proud of my achievement.

I would normally have only set foot on a plane once or twice per year if I was lucky.

It's thanks to FT and the useful info here regarding the earning of points that I have been able to do this much flying. I'm not ashamed to admit I would not have been able to fund this year's trips otherwise.

I think those elitists you speak of are slowly getting outnumbered in no small part thanks to the changes to Avios earlier this year bringing a lot more less frequent flyers to this board, which personally I feel is a good thing.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
PanGalactic you are our Do planner, how many have you planned so far?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.