Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Sign in using an external account

Old Nov 6, 12, 7:10 pm   #1

Cool I have silver membership, expires in Dec, have 450 points and need 150 more? By Dec?

Hi yall
I have silver membership. It says my membership year expires 8 Dec 12. I have 450 tier points at the moment and it says I need an additional 150 to retain silver membership.
Does this mean that if I don't earn the 150 points by 8 Dec that I'l loose silver membership and be put back to bronze?

IT must be impossible to get gold membership!
Geraldine Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 12, 7:17 pm   #2

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I have silver membership, expires in Dec, have 450 points and need 150 more? By Dec?

Correct !

Are you flying at all between now and the end of your membership year ?

cs
Old Nov 6, 12, 7:24 pm   #3

im flying 28th december on business class lhr to jfk.
Old Nov 6, 12, 7:30 pm   #4

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldine Brown View Post
im flying 28th december on business class lhr to jfk.

Sadly you will drop to bronze before that trip.

cs
Old Nov 6, 12, 7:40 pm   #5

Programs: MUCCI
Hang on.

You WILL be in the next MEMBERSHIP year after 8th Dec (i.e. 9th and onwards).

HOWEVER, your card expiry will probably be 01/13 or something like that? If so, you should still be able to access lounges, etc until then.

(However, if you are flying business class, then you will get thouse benefits anyway.)

Your TP will reset to 0 after the 8th December (as you enter your new membership year), but you will then to build them up again.

Assuming you are in paid business class (and not a miles redemption booking, etc), you will earn 140 TP for the outbound LHR-JFK.
David-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 12, 7:54 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-A View Post
Hang on.

You WILL be in the next MEMBERSHIP year after 8th Dec (i.e. 9th and onwards).

HOWEVER, your card expiry will probably be 01/13 or something like that? If so, you should still be able to access lounges, etc until then.

(However, if you are flying business class, then you will get thouse benefits anyway.)

Your TP will reset to 0 after the 8th December (as you enter your new membership year), but you will then to build them up again.

Assuming you are in paid business class (and not a miles redemption booking, etc), you will earn 140 TP for the outbound LHR-JFK.

Sorry
Didn't realise we were talking lounge access, but if we were you are correct David-A

cs
Old Nov 6, 12, 8:16 pm   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornishsimon View Post
Sorry
Didn't realise we were talking lounge access, but if we were you are correct David-A

cs
The only bit I thought was debateable about what you said, was the 'already dropped to bronze'.

Many argue that the drop happens at card expiry, not when you enter the next year.
Old Nov 6, 12, 8:21 pm   #8

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry

cs
The only bit I thought was debateable about what you said, was the 'already dropped to bronze'.

Many argue that the drop happens at card expiry, not when you enter the next year.

Nah
You drop at the end of the membership year date but the cards benefits are still valid a little longer !!

cs
Old Nov 6, 12, 8:36 pm   #9

Quote:
Nah
You drop at the end of the membership year date but the cards benefits are still valid a little longer !!
As I said, you unquestionably enter a new membership year.
That was the first thing I said.

However, if you continue to enjoy the benefits of a status, you still have it. Especially when you consider how BA presents it to you:

A BAEC account will still look all Silver/Gold etc online, until the card expiry date.
It will still say 'to *retain* your Silver status you need 600 TP....' etc.

(Infact, it is currently a little 'less than ideal' how ba.com explains your status position at that point - i.e. it is not crystal clear to a reader what will happen, and what you need to do by when to affect that).

Consider also a scheme like AC, where the qualification year and the benefits year are displaced from each other.

I used to be of the opinion that it was the card that had the extra time and the benefits were tied to the card, however I think I now agree with thouse who argue that the drop can not be said to happen until card expiry. Based upon how it displays it to you, and how it behaves in practice.
Old Nov 7, 12, 8:11 pm   #10

thanks for replies

tell me, if the card doesn't expire until 31st Jan 2013, then will the points I earn on my 28th Dec flight count towards my 450 which will give me the points I need to stay silver

or is it by 8th Dec I need the points?
If so, it is soooo annoying!

Is there anything else I can do to stay silver?
Old Nov 7, 12, 8:30 pm   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldine Brown View Post
tell me, if the card doesn't expire until 31st Jan 2013, then will the points I earn on my 28th Dec flight count towards my 450 which will give me the points I need to stay silver
No sorry if I confused you. While the card is valid you can enjoy some of the benefits still, but the crucial date remains the 8th December.

To retain Silver you need to fly by the 8th December at the latest.

After that you enter your next membership year, so any flights flown from the 9th onwards belong to next year. (When you start to build up again from 0).

Quote:
Is there anything else I can do to stay silver?

The only way to have status is to get the tier points, the only way to get TP is to fly.

If you want the TP go on a TP run (fly cheaply just to get them). Some Club Europe routes now award 60 or 80 TP each way (previously it was 40 TP only). Or do 2x40TP CE returns. E.g. LGW-JER, LGW-AMS, etc can sometimes be cheap.

However personally I would think about whether it is worth chasing it this year, given that you have a CW trip coming up. It might make a lot more sense to do TP runs AFTER your CW trip in the next membership year.
Old Nov 8, 12, 12:32 am   #12

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Or if you don't have the time for 2 sets of return flights, 1 x CE return to ATH or LCA etc. prices up at around 450, and as David-A has pointed out, this will get you 160 TPs.
Rickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 12, 12:50 am   #13

Programs: BMI
Quote:

However personally I would think about whether it is worth chasing it this year, given that you have a CW trip coming up. It might make a lot more sense to do TP runs AFTER your CW trip in the next membership year.
Agree, it really depends on whether you intend to a fair amount of flying next year in economy (and thus take full advantage of the silver membership) or you'll be flying a lot in business (in which case you get most of the benefits anyway).

The cost of 'retaining' silver now is clearly cheaper than earning it all over again next year.

Jon

Last edited by Prospero; Nov 8, 12 at 1:08 am. Reason: remove OT blog ad
monkeymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 12, 1:00 am   #14

I have silver membership, expires in Dec, have 450 points and need 150 more? By Dec?

I'd personally try and tack on a tier point run to the OPs upcoming JFK trip and that way get back to silver fairly soon into his/her new membership year.

cs
Old Nov 8, 12, 2:41 am   #15
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Quote:
I'd personally try and tack on a tier point run to the OPs upcoming JFK trip and that way get back to silver fairly soon into his/her new membership year.

cs
This is actually the most sensible because if the OP can get Silver quickly into her new membership year, she can also keep silver into the following year too. Broadly speaking it's difficult to get TPs for less than 3 each in Europe (and usually it costs a lot more), but not difficult to get them half that (or even below 1 each) on particular TP runs in the USA. She would still get lounge access for the Kennedy trip based on the timelag between membership year and card expiry date, but the TPs will definitely zero out on 8 December.

There is flexibility on BA's side to extend membership years by up to 2 weeks, but not only does this fall outwith that limit, it is probably best to back silver quickly in the following year.