Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios on CX to Hong Kong via JFK/YVR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AC Aéroplan, Accor ALL
I don't know about the miles etc but I have done JFK-YVR more than once in CX F and it was well worth it. It was full F service with caviar etc. and was without question the best way to get to YVR IMO.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Gold
Would it be a good use of my AX MR points to transfer them to Avios with the 40% bonus to fly on AA/CX to DPS? My routing is MCI-DFW-LAX on AA, then LAX-HKG-DPS on CX. If I use AA points it is 55kK miles each way for J/biz class. My return trip would be from Jakarta CGK on JL going CGK-NRT-ORD on JL, ORD-MCI on AA. This is also 55K AA miles.

How many avios would this trip be? I have 135K MR points I want to get rid of by transferring to another program. They do not transfer to AA but do to BA.

Last edited by susiesan; Sep 24, 2012 at 8:22 am
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:24 pm

It wouldn't be a bad option except for this trip. You'll need 200 & something thousand. You might wanna look at Air Canada too. That would open up Star Alliance for you. J would be 120K I believe. Outlined here:http://thepointsguy.com/2012/09/sund...ewards-points/
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Going to add to my own thread rather than start another.

Original plan was to eith fly JFK-YVR, short hop to LAX and then LAX-MEL-SYD or JFK-HKG on CX First and HKG-SYD.

Qantas have stopped doing First from pretty much everywhere to SYD so that leaves me a choice of CX or QF on the HKG-SYD route.
Choices are direct on CX or HKG-SIN on CX and SIN-SYD on QF (business for all flights)

Any preference over the better option? Nothing direct on QF at present although might be possible on the return if I went via LAX for example.

Also, are taxes generally higher out of HKG?
A business reemption fare from HKG-SYD comes in at 50k Avios + Ł113 yet JFK-HKG in First comes in at around 105k Avios + Ł101.

Added: Check LHR-SYD and got a choice of QF First on the A380 or BA First to Sin / QF Business to SYD but if refuses to let me book the direct QF flight on any day.

Last edited by xenole; Dec 18, 2012 at 5:54 am
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:50 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by xenole
Qantas have stopped doing First from pretty much everywhere to SYD
LHR, SIN, HKG, LAX to SYD
LHR, SIN, LAX to MEL

All have First on the QF A380. However, very hard to find award seats.

Although in a few months it will be DXB not SIN..
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Tried DXB-SYD and 2-3 CX flights only through the entire year.

Defintely award seats for LHR-SYD on QF coming up, just can't book them and it doesn't mention SIN or DXB which may be the problem?

I went to the QF website for a cash booking and found 1 flight from HKG with first. The rest were 3 class with business only.

Last edited by xenole; Dec 18, 2012 at 12:49 pm
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:02 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by xenole
Tried DXB-SYD and 2-3 CX flights only through the entire year.

Defintely award seats for LHR-SYD on QF coming up, just can't book them and it doesn't mention SIN or DXB which may be the problem?

I went to the QF website for a cash booking and found 1 flight from HKG with first. The rest were 3 class with business only.
The QF/EK tie up is still awaiting regulatory approval, and until then I don't think you can book (paid or points) to/from DXB, but you can to/from LHR as normal. It is due April 2013.

QF127/128 to/from HKG has F on all days.
747 on Mon/Tues/Wed
A380 on Wed/Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun

And no idea what you are trying to show with your overly large picture.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Just showing that there was a reward flight available yet I can't book it (was 2 earlier on that date). Same for any other day.

Ok, say I want to fly from Hong Kong to Sydney.
Looking at redemption options, there are:
Loads of CX Business class flights (747,777,A330 etc) that either go direct, stop in Singapore and change to Qantas or remain CX, or Qantas business class (QF0030 seems te most common one) to Melbourne then another flight to Sydney.
Timing wise, CX flies at 9 in the morning getting to SYD for 21:45pm or late night flights getting in mid-morning / lunchtime.

Any ideal times to leave Hong Kong?
The 9am flight would mean I would get to Sydney late at night, go to my hotel to slwwp and start fresh early in the morning.
The others would mean I could drop things off at a hotel and start exploring straightaway.

Last edited by xenole; Dec 18, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.