Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero

i Preface
If you are new to the British Airways Executive Club (BAEC) or a long term member but have not booked a redemption flight since the programme's relaunch in 2011, you may have realised by now that planning an Avios redemption calls for a shift in mindset, especially to those more used to redeeming miles for flights with North American frequent flyer programmes.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce you to how the BAEC works in terms of spending Avios and to share some tips will will assist you during the planning and booking stages. We'll also cover the options available to you, so you can make an informed decision on how best to maximise your Avios Points.

If you are seeking guidance on the changes to the Executive Club in relation to the programme's 2011 relaunch, the Q&A discussion serves as a very useful reference point.

ii Contents
iii Acknowledgments
This guide is a collaborative effort, and could not have been produced without the kind contributions from corporate-wage-slave, DWFI, LTN Phobia, Petrus, Prospero, and Stez.
Print Wikipost

Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by RedVee
Thanks LTNPhobia , I'll register for QF so I can check myself in future - it might become more relevant to my travel plans in future Although with the earn rate, perhaps not.
It won't let you register with a UK address, and it will try to charge you if you have an Australia/NZ address unless things changed recently.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by dannyrado
The most amazing guide. Thankyou so much.

May i ask what software you used to do the radius maps? I'd love to be able to do a radius map online, lets say 5500miles from MAN, etc, etc....
+1. Great thread. Didnt see this map tool question answered. Any pointer?

Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:20 am

Just a quick question - I'm fairly sure I've read in the small print somewhere that you must carry your BAEC card when checkin-in for a redemption booking. Is this correct?

Whilst I have made plenty of flights on BA in the past, I rather naďvely didn't think that the miles/Avios we were worth collecting.

I've only started collecting this year, and I've made my first redemption through the Amex sign-up bonus. I guess if it's a necessity to have a card then I'll need to make a flight on BA somewhere before next May, when my redemption ticket is for.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by AllTheNines
Just a quick question - I'm fairly sure I've read in the small print somewhere that you must carry your BAEC card when checkin-in for a redemption booking. Is this correct?
All airlines advise you to carry your card, but IME you are never, ever asked to produce it. Passport or other approved ID, yes. BAEC card, no.

However it is always good to carry your BAEC card for lounge access at certain airports.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by dannyrado
The most amazing guide. Thankyou so much.

May i ask what software you used to do the radius maps? I'd love to be able to do a radius map online, lets say 5500miles from MAN, etc, etc....
Originally Posted by travelkid
+1. Great thread. Didnt see this map tool question answered. Any pointer?

Thanks.
Each map diagram was lovingly created in a back bedroom somewhere in deepest EH4, used Adobe Illustrator. Of course, none would have been possible without the technical marvel that is the great circle map website, http://www.gcmap.com

Creating your own personal map should be easy to do. Using a background map, plot your origin and three independent locations of equal distance from the origin. Then join the three dots with a circle. Well, that's the theory. In practice, longitudinal extremes do tend to warp the circle into an ellipse (taking into account the Earth's curvature).
Old Nov 29, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Question and maybe the answer is worth adding to the FAQ, is there any difference in booking 2 x single flights or one return when using Avios? I am looking to take my family away over Xmas next year, so with the flights being released 355 days in advance, it would make sense to book outward in Dec 2012, and return in Jan 2013.

Unless it is going to cost me more Avios

Thanks,

Greg
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by kitenski
Question and maybe the answer is worth adding to the FAQ, is there any difference in booking 2 x single flights or one return when using Avios? I am looking to take my family away over Xmas next year, so with the flights being released 355 days in advance, it would make sense to book outward in Dec 2012, and return in Jan 2013.

Thanks,

Greg
It costs exactly the same Avios and for reward flight savers the tax is also the same. The difference is that they won't cancel your inbound flight if you happen to miss your outbound flight for some reason and need to rebook (eg: if you happen to turn up at the airport with the wrong passport ) so it's actually better to book 2 x 1 ways if you can, although that means you can't use a 241 voucher for both legs.

For non reward flight saver redemptions, there may or may not be a slight increase in total taxes for 2x1 ways, check this before you book.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:03 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Thanks,

Greg
Depends on where you plan to travel to. It's a wash in terms of Avios required, but be aware of asymmetrical fuel surcharges, which can make a big difference to the overall cash component. Dummy bookings will reveal the differences.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
Depends on where you plan to travel to. It's a wash in terms of Avios required, but be aware of asymmetrical fuel surcharges, which can make a big difference to the overall cash component. Dummy bookings will reveal the differences.
Hmm, ok, the plan is Manchester to Melbourne, but may have to settle with Sydney due to the Qantas alliance ending....
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Question and maybe the answer is worth adding to the FAQ, is there any difference in booking 2 x single flights or one return when using Avios?
Another difference, I think, is in the cost of changing or cancelling. You could pay double if you hold twice as many tickets because you've booked them as one-ways.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:28 am

Programs: NZ *Gold
Hmm, ok, the plan is Manchester to Melbourne, but may have to settle with Sydney due to the Qantas alliance ending....
AFAIAA, Qantas have not said they are withdrawing from Oneworld, just the joint business venture with BA on the LHR to SYD route. It is still possible to book MEL with Avios
Old Nov 30, 2012, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Another difference, I think, is in the cost of changing or cancelling. You could pay double if you hold twice as many tickets because you've booked them as one-ways.
Correct, although in economy on RFS the difference is only a fiver a head.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite; SPG Platinum; MR Gold
Help - can't select more than 2 passengers

I have an Avios household account but when I click on “Spend Avios” and try to do an award booking search for 3 pax, it only lets me check up to 2 passengers (the 2 in my household). How can I search for 3 pax? Is this a bug in the BA user interface? Does anyone know a workaround for this (other than logging in under a different Avios account)?
Also — are all of the household Avios available to be spent automatically? Right now it is calculating as if I can only spend my Avios even though it is showing me the total household Avios information.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:04 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by bdben
I have an Avios household account but when I click on “Spend Avios” and try to do an award booking search for 3 pax, it only lets me check up to 2 passengers (the 2 in my household). How can I search for 3 pax? Is this a bug in the BA user interface? Does anyone know a workaround for this (other than logging in under a different Avios account)?
Also — are all of the household Avios available to be spent automatically? Right now it is calculating as if I can only spend my Avios even though it is showing me the total household Avios information.
If you have a household account, you can only make redemptions for people in that household account.

You'll have to add anyone you're looking to make a redemption booking for to your HHA.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
If you have a household account, you can only make redemptions for people in that household account.

You'll have to add anyone you're looking to make a redemption booking for to your HHA.
If I will create a household account and want to discontinue it and separate all travelers, will it be possible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.