Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's the WORST lounge you've been in - and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Surprisingly, no, I'm not writing this from some dingy, dark, damp excuse for an 'executive' lounge. I'm in my own drawing room (nod to another thread there ), and I began to wonder.
What is the worst lounge you have ever had the misfortune to use - and why?
Now, although the behaviour of fellow guests would certainly influence our choices, let's keep this to the actual lounge offerings/decor, etc. Minimal tales of 'dragons' would probably be appreciated by the Moderators, too!
Which dry lounges make you feel like you've got the DTs? Which make you long for the generosity of BA's domestic catering ? Which leave your skin crawling?

Answers below, please
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:12 am

The worst I've used is probably the Menzies lounge in AMS. Very poor lounge, based on a single visit about 2 years ago.

Other than that, lounges in the US are in general poor, as are Lufthansa business lounges at FRA and MUC - very, very sterile!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Can I play the Bordeaux card or do we want to keep playing a little longer?

Worst marketed lounge I know is NBO.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Gold.
SERVISAIR lounge, T1 at LHR....
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are some excellent nominees above, and we haven't had the North African circuit out yet.

I'm going to lob in Cathay's lounges at Manila, surprisingly awful (though of course the staff are lovely); plus the Admirals lounge at Miami by gate 15, when it gets crowded.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Can I play the Bordeaux card or do we want to keep playing a little longer?

Worst marketed lounge I know is NBO.
I was going to say NBO as well, but given how bad the rest of the airport is, the lounge is nonetheless appreciated.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Malev non-Schengen lounge in BUD was pretty dire - office furniture and yellow walls, closely followed by the PRG Menzies shed/lounge, the only saving grace of which is the relatively decent view of the runway.

Neither had any edible food whatsoever.

Last edited by Genius1; Aug 18, 2012 at 10:47 am
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rossmacd
The worst I've used is probably the Menzies lounge in AMS.
I was in one of them at AMS......I entered a dark room with no windows. Through the gloom I saw an old lady sitting at a desk. She looked up and said nothing. Quivering with fright I handed her my BP.....she looked at it very closely before gesturing me to enter the darkest depths of the room where only one other person lay motionless on one of the bench seats. Bugger this I said I'm off.....

Actually that experience was topped by the AZ dungeon in FCO....no windows again but very brightly lit and filled with a 747 load of Japanese tourists who were fighting over what remained of the pitiful food and drinks offering.We left two minutes after we arrived.

T5? Another world. ^
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Admiral's Club @ T8 JFK.

Just horrid!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
Admiral's Club @ T8 JFK.

Just horrid!
Well I obviously can't comment on that, but the Flagship Lounge next door is fantastic, almost Flounge-ish. Great views of the airport, clean, modern, power sockets everywhere, eccentric staff, better range of soft drinks than Flounge, and even sushi on top of the hot food offerings.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Stuttgart, whichever one the PP lounge is. A dingy little room, boiling hot, minimal selection of drink and food offerings were sparse and poor. I left after 2 minutes to go and sit in the main terminal.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Algiers. Truly, completely awful in every way from service to food and drink cis cleanliness apart from the functioning AC.

The old Garuda lounge at Solo City was quite special.

In terms of BA branded lounges a toss between NBO (since refurbished) and FCO.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
In terms of BA branded lounges a toss between NBO (since refurbished) and FCO.
FCO now also has the refreshed Galleries style, so is slightly better than the old Executive Club lounge style.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Algiers. Truly, completely awful in every way from service to food and drink cis cleanliness apart from the functioning AC.
I think I remember the pictures.

Well, at least it had food & drink.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Genius1
FCO now also has the refreshed Galleries style, so is slightly better than the old Executive Club lounge style.
Have they fixed the AC yet?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.