FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   What's the WORST lounge you've been in - and why? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1378512-whats-worst-lounge-youve-been-why.html)

ABZGirl Aug 18, 2012 10:07 am

What's the WORST lounge you've been in - and why?

Surprisingly, no, I'm not writing this from some dingy, dark, damp excuse for an 'executive' lounge. I'm in my own drawing room (nod to another thread there :D), and I began to wonder.
What is the worst lounge you have ever had the misfortune to use - and why?
Now, although the behaviour of fellow guests would certainly influence our choices, let's keep this to the actual lounge offerings/decor, etc. Minimal tales of 'dragons' would probably be appreciated by the Moderators, too!
Which dry lounges make you feel like you've got the DTs? Which make you long for the generosity of BA's domestic catering :p? Which leave your skin crawling?

Answers below, please :)

rossmacd Aug 18, 2012 10:12 am

The worst I've used is probably the Menzies lounge in AMS. Very poor lounge, based on a single visit about 2 years ago.

Other than that, lounges in the US are in general poor, as are Lufthansa business lounges at FRA and MUC - very, very sterile!

henkybaby Aug 18, 2012 10:12 am

Can I play the Bordeaux card or do we want to keep playing a little longer?

Worst marketed lounge I know is NBO.

Jliles Aug 18, 2012 10:16 am

SERVISAIR lounge, T1 at LHR....

corporate-wage-slave Aug 18, 2012 10:20 am

There are some excellent nominees above, and we haven't had the North African circuit out yet.

I'm going to lob in Cathay's lounges at Manila, surprisingly awful (though of course the staff are lovely); plus the Admirals lounge at Miami by gate 15, when it gets crowded.

idayvuelta Aug 18, 2012 10:21 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby (Post 19146980)
Can I play the Bordeaux card or do we want to keep playing a little longer?

Worst marketed lounge I know is NBO.

I was going to say NBO as well, but given how bad the rest of the airport is, the lounge is nonetheless appreciated.

Genius1 Aug 18, 2012 10:29 am

Malev non-Schengen lounge in BUD was pretty dire - office furniture and yellow walls, closely followed by the PRG Menzies shed/lounge, the only saving grace of which is the relatively decent view of the runway.

Neither had any edible food whatsoever.

HIDDY Aug 18, 2012 10:30 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 19146973)
The worst I've used is probably the Menzies lounge in AMS.

I was in one of them at AMS......I entered a dark room with no windows. Through the gloom I saw an old lady sitting at a desk. She looked up and said nothing. Quivering with fright I handed her my BP.....she looked at it very closely before gesturing me to enter the darkest depths of the room where only one other person lay motionless on one of the bench seats. Bugger this I said I'm off.....

Actually that experience was topped by the AZ dungeon in FCO....no windows again but very brightly lit and filled with a 747 load of Japanese tourists who were fighting over what remained of the pitiful food and drinks offering.We left two minutes after we arrived.

T5? Another world. ^

Flythe96flag Aug 18, 2012 10:33 am

Admiral's Club @ T8 JFK.

Just horrid!

corporate-wage-slave Aug 18, 2012 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Flythe96flag (Post 19147070)
Admiral's Club @ T8 JFK.

Just horrid!

Well I obviously can't comment on that, but the Flagship Lounge next door is fantastic, almost Flounge-ish. Great views of the airport, clean, modern, power sockets everywhere, eccentric staff, better range of soft drinks than Flounge, and even sushi on top of the hot food offerings.

Private Pyle Aug 18, 2012 10:43 am

Stuttgart, whichever one the PP lounge is. A dingy little room, boiling hot, minimal selection of drink and food offerings were sparse and poor. I left after 2 minutes to go and sit in the main terminal.

Swanhunter Aug 18, 2012 10:47 am

Algiers. Truly, completely awful in every way from service to food and drink cis cleanliness apart from the functioning AC.

The old Garuda lounge at Solo City was quite special.

In terms of BA branded lounges a toss between NBO (since refurbished) and FCO.

Genius1 Aug 18, 2012 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 19147124)
In terms of BA branded lounges a toss between NBO (since refurbished) and FCO.

FCO now also has the refreshed Galleries style, so is slightly better than the old Executive Club lounge style.

henkybaby Aug 18, 2012 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 19147124)
Algiers. Truly, completely awful in every way from service to food and drink cis cleanliness apart from the functioning AC.

I think I remember the pictures. :eek:

Well, at least it had food & drink. :)

Swanhunter Aug 18, 2012 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Genius1 (Post 19147134)
FCO now also has the refreshed Galleries style, so is slightly better than the old Executive Club lounge style.

Have they fixed the AC yet?!