Advice on CAI and HNL please

Old May 13, 2017, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Advice on CAI and HNL please

Hi all,

The context
Having previously turned my nose up at exCAI fares, I've now had to do a bit of a volte face as last night I was chatting to my partner and mentioned that while there are some great fares out of CAI "unfortunately you have to go to Cairo first.."

"OH !" she said. "But I'd love to go to Cairo...!!!" So we're going to CAI...

The booking
This morning I spent half an hour on the GGL line with a truly excellent agent (who will be getting a Golden Ticket) and now have a booking from Cairo to Hawai'i over Easter 2018.

Actually I have 2 bookings, as I-class availability was a single seat on each of HNL,OGG and KOA to LAX. No problem for this guy: he spotted that the fare rules allow a free stopover so came up with the creative solution of setting up 2 PNRs, with us travelling together on all sectors except Hawai'i to LA: for this one, we will be on separate aircraft a few hours apart and reunited at LAX

What's more, he didn't blink at using 2 Jokers and applying a GUF2 across the bookings so we are in F on the A380 LHR-LAX and LAX-LHR !

I think I can live with a price of 1333.90 per head for 60,532 Avios and 980 TPs and F on the A380

The request
If you're still reading, I could so with some help.

Never having been to Cairo before, and hints and tips to get the most out of short visit (we will probably fly down 3 or 4 days before the exCAI trip) would be very welcome.

Likewise, we're flying into HNL so any advice on accommodation in particular would be great. We don't feel the need to drop $10k on a beachfront property. Mid-range with reasonable access to the coast would be fine...

Many thanks in advance !
Old May 13, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
How did the agent manage to apply a GUF2 to a booking containing non-BA metal? Am I missing something?
Old May 13, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
I thought the GUF would apply to only the BA metal flights on the booking and as OP is on A380 LHR - LAX return that is where they used the GUF.
Old May 13, 2017, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diver Boy
I thought the GUF would apply to only the BA metal flights on the booking and as OP is on A380 LHR - LAX return that is where they used the GUF.
That's exactly it:

CAI-LHR BA Club
LHR-LAX BA First
LAX-HNL AA First (but sold into a Business fare bucket: I in this case)

Seemed like the best use of the GUF2 which only had a few weeks of validity left on it
Old May 13, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
In terms of HNL accommodation. I have stayed at the Moana Surfrider (Westin) which is mega expensive and the rooms are only OK. However it is the location you pay for. Cheaper but not beach front is the Modern. The rooms are a little stark for my taste (all white) but they are well equipped and it has the best pools I think in HNL. You can pay extra for a water view. There is also a great bar there too. It is a little further away past the Hilton at the harbour end. Getting Ubers is a reasonable and quick way to get around but you can walk most places in the centre in less than 30 minutes from the Modern.
Old May 13, 2017, 5:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Ignore me, misunderstood
Old May 13, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
If you are happy to stay on Waikiki Beach, I would recommend a Regency Club room or suite at the Hyatt Regency. Across the road from the beach.

Stayed there last year and was impressed with the location and staff and am returning this year. Club access is well worth the cost.
Old May 13, 2017, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Until a couple of years ago I did a lot of ex CAI trips. CAI hotels are generally crap even the luxury brands. I have always stayed at the IC Citystars which keeps you out of the mass of downtown CAI, reasonably close to the airport and gives a reasonably nice environment for a stay being a proper western hotel, however it is looking a little frayed around the seams these days.

My pick in CAI now is the Meridien at the airport it is a fab place and you could easily imagine yourself in a nice location rather than CAI which is frankly a shithole. Then if you want to go downtown for any reason (and apart from the Egyptian museum I wouldn't bother), the pyramids are a particular disappointment and involve you fighting off aggressive camel and horse rental merchants.

My pick in HNL would be the Royal Hawaiian of the chain properties (none are great) or possibly a tower room at the Moana. In OGG I would go for the Sheraton if you have any Starwood status (and perhaps if not) I really liked the Lahaina side of the island, rent a car for transfers and do the road to Hana as an experience. I haven't really spent any time in Wailea however and there is probably something to be said for the Andaz.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; May 13, 2017 at 6:17 am
Old May 13, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
My most recent stays (but 5+ years ago) were at the IC Citystars, for the reasons Land-of-Miles states. Sounds like it has not maintained the good standards I remember.
Old May 13, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Egypt (and Cairo) is responsible for some of the worst experiences I've had in Africa. Every single person I met felt like they were out to scam me. (I'm sure others will flame me for this, but that is my experience.)

I will never go back there again and I advice everyone else to not go either unless they plan to just turn around at the airport.
Old May 13, 2017, 5:54 am
Original Poster

We were in Sharm a couple of years ago, and did a bit of wandering round outside the compound, so get where you're coming from agehall

Glad we learned to say السلام عليكم and لا، شكرا before arriving - they seemed to cover most situations we ran into

Thanks to others for hotel tips - I foresee a long afternoon ahead on booking.com ...
Old May 13, 2017, 6:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by agehall
Egypt (and Cairo) is responsible for some of the worst experiences I've had in Africa. Every single person I met felt like they were out to scam me. (I'm sure others will flame me for this, but that is my experience.)

I will never go back there again and I advice everyone else to not go either unless they plan to just turn around at the airport.
It's an experience - but I actually quite enjoyed it Cars 5 abreast on a 3 lane road.

I misjudged how much I was paying for my camel ride around the Pyramids. I think it cost about 100 for 2 hours in the end. I was a bit annoyed at myself, but then thought it was something that I'd never do again and was very enjoyable.
Old May 13, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Fitch
Never having been to Cairo before, and hints and tips to get the most out of short visit (we will probably fly down 3 or 4 days before the exCAI trip) would be very welcome.
In all seriousness, the best thing you could do with 3 or 4 days in Cairo is to get out. Fly (or take the overnight sleeper train) to Luxor and visit the mind-blowing temples across the river: in two days you can see just about all of them, and you will never forget the experience. A half-day trip to the Temple of Hathor at Dendera would be the highlight. Cairo itself is extremely unappealing (to put it mildly) - even the famed Egyptian Museum resembles a dusty, disorganised junk shop.

If you do stay in Cairo then the pyramids at Giza are, obviously, a must-see, but prepare to be disappointed by the ugly urban sprawl that goes right up to the gates, the dilapidated state of the site and the constant hawkers.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Downtown HNL is very urban for a tropical island. Not really as relaxing as Maui.
Prices are always high everywhere in HI for lodging, meals,etc.
If you are a Costco member they do run hotel/car packages on several islands- both Oahu and Maui will have some decent deals.
The Royal Hawaiian is just drop dead gorgeous-yes it the Pepto Bismol pink palace on Waikikki Beach. It oozes old Hawaii charm.
It is also VERY expensive!
If you don't stay there then consider doing a brunch or dinner there to enjoy the glorious sunset views of Diamond Head. The Halekulani hotel is pricy but if you want a spectacular meal book dinner at La Mer.
Another option is to check out Air BNB? You may find a studio or 1 BR apartment close to the action but it may not be beach front.
Regardless, you will have a lovely time in Hawaii.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:06 am

Pity you didn't pick OGG or KOA - both better choices than HNL IMHO

Perhaps anyone reading this later might check them out rather than default into HNL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.