Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's the WORST lounge you've been in - and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:55 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I can't believe no-one has mentioned RAK. When I was there in March, it was overcrowded, the food selection consisted of a plate of stale sandwiches with inedible fillings which nonetheless still disappeared within two minutes because it was probably an hour or more since it was last replenished (they must make them once a week or something), the wi-fi didn't work, the drink selection consisted of a bottle of pretty cheap, unquestionably foul wine and the lounge staff amounted to one bloke who - poor soul - basically just ran himself ragged trying to address the many problems he was faced with.

I would definitely have been better off in the terminal but, well, I'd hate to have deprived myself of the experience
Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Z
The contract lounge at AGP is pretty uninspiring. I'm also not much of a fan of the joint AA/BA lounge at my most frequented outstation, DEN. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with it. It's clean, comfortable and a nice place to relax, but there's no view, no decent snacks and I really hate having to get drinks from the bar. I only use the lounge if I can't get a table at the Denver Chophouse downstairs.
The current lounge at AGP is certainly boring - I usually prefer to hang out at the sports bar downstairs, but it is 100x better than the one that it replaced which was little more than a waiting room with a fridge in the corner.

I haven't been to MXP for a while but the Alitalia lounge there was scruffier than most student common rooms and you had to ask a grumpy woman at a counter every time you wanted a drink.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by NickB
1) The former Alitalia Giotto lounge at FCO. It is not that it was the worst in itself, although it was pretty bad (dungeon-style underground with no natural light, limited selection of drinks, very limited food, insufficient space....) but rather the fact that it was Alitalia's lounge for all its long-haul destinations from FCO and should therefore have been AZ's flagship lounge.
As you've said former lounge, what do AZ use now? I remember using it many times during when AZ were going through their financial troubles and thought the lounge was one of the worst. The Priority Pass lounge next door wasn't much better but was less crowded.

I remember trying the draught beer dispenser, flipped the handle and all that came out was air and a bunch of flies. Fortunately they also had bottled beer.

2) LCY: KL used to have a "lounge" of sorts at LCY, i.e. a plain, small room near the entrance to the building with a few chairs and a telephone for you to order a drink that would have been brought from the bar. The room had a strong institutional/detention centre feel to it.
When was this? I can't remember it during my London based flying days with KLM from 2004 - April fools day (2009).
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: Skyteam & BAEC Silv, EY Gold, IHG Plat
Currently sat in IST BA lounge. Lovely view of the back of an adjacent building, inedible food, and tired furniture. The worst International lounge I have used.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by sambessey
Currently sat in IST BA lounge. Lovely view of the back of an adjacent building, inedible food, and tired furniture. The worst International lounge I have used.
I suggest a google image search for "turkish airlines lounge". Not sure if it'll make you feel better though...
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:04 pm

Programs: Skyteam & BAEC Silv, EY Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sschwenk
I suggest a google image search for "turkish airlines lounge". Not sure if it'll make you feel better though...
Yeah TK is a client of mine so I know their product. Their lounge is immense... I would have gone TK had this not been an Avios redemption flight...
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sambessey
Does BA use the Millennium lounge next to the smokers' terrace in IST?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, ANZ Gold, Hertz Gold
I'm currently in LYS (Lyon) with 2 hours to go until departure and the lounge is CLOSED.. (lol)

My devices are nearly running out of juice and there's nothing to eat .. almost feels like CDG
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by Mart81
I'm currently in LYS (Lyon) with 2 hours to go until departure and the lounge is CLOSED.. (lol)

My devices are nearly running out of juice and there's nothing to eat .. almost feels like CDG
CDG? I'd go back to the CX lounge there in a shot. Mmmm noodles to order.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:23 am

My own lounge is pretty dire at the moment . Fat snoring Labrador with excessive wind problems.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time

My vote goes for Admirals Club T3 ORD.

Coors Light was the only beers on offer and it always pees me off that you have to tip the bartender.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Oil-man
My vote goes for Admirals Club T3 ORD.

Coors Light was the only beers on offer and it always pees me off that you have to tip the bartender.
What happens if you DON'T tip the barman?

Airport lounges are the only places in the US I feel comfortable being a tight-wad Brit
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
What happens if you DON'T tip the barman?
You become invisible to the bar tender when you want a second beer.

Given it's Coors Light, I suppose that is not such a bad thing.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Sludge
Muscat was fairly dire on my last trip. Dirty, nothing cleared away, staff who resented having to work for a living and rather claustrophobic...
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: United 1P; AA Gold; National EE; SPG Plat; HH Gold; Fairmont Plat
Temporary Admirals club by the American Eagle concourse in O'hare - no bathroom!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.