Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT: The nude woman in Edinburgh Airport - Would you be offended?

Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-19177968

Having read this on the BBC news would anyone here complain about it being on display at the Airport?

It is art, by arguably one of the world's finest artists, and it is on public display anyhow. I personally cannot see why folks would make a complaint but everyone has different views on these things I suppose.

So what do folks think?

Edinburgh Airport in Picasso nude complaints U-turn

Edinburgh Airport has u-turned on its decision to cover up a poster featuring a Picasso nude following complaints.

Nude Woman in a Red Armchair was advertising the Picasso and Modern British Art exhibition at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art.

However, the airport decided to cover the image after several complaints from passengers in international departures.

After gallery chiefs branded the move "bizarre", the airport has backed down and removed the cover.

The Picasso and Modern British Art exhibition runs until 4 November.

John Leighton, director-general of the National Galleries of Scotland, said: "It is obviously bizarre that all kinds of images of women in various states of dress and undress can be used in contemporary advertising without comment, but somehow a painted nude by one of the world's most famous artists is found to be disturbing and has to be removed.

"I hope that the public will come and see the real thing, which is a joyous and affectionate portrait of one of Picasso's favourite models, an image that has been shown around the world."

An Edinburgh Airport spokesperson said: "We have now reviewed our original decision and reinstated the image.

"The initial decision was a reaction to passenger feedback, which we do always take seriously.

"However on reflection we are more than happy to display the image in the terminal and we'd like to apologise, particularly to the exhibition organisers, for the confusion."

Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I'm not offended by it at all.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People are offended by that? Good grief.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:33 pm

Isn't that Pucci Galore?

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
I would be offended by a decision to cover it up.
Indeed.
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
It's a well known fact that Edinburgh folk are simply a bit weird.

As a Glaswegian I can confirm this.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
I would be offended by a decision to cover it up.
^
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Good heavens. It's not even close to looking like most of the real naked women I've seen.

Although, there was that one time ...
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
They have the US senate ( it could be congress) they had lady justice covered up when John Ashcroft was the AG... Talk about double standards.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
After having been scared witless by the Teselecta Woman Projection before security the nude lady is a simple joy to behold.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond
How anyone be offended by that beggars belief!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AZAL Gold, TK Elite, KC Nomad Club Blue
Life Imitates Art....

This reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Michaelangelo's David is brought to Springfield and the townfolk are outraged.

But it's just another example where a few people spoil it for the rest of us. For Heaven's sake, this is art, by one of the greatest artists of the last century. It's on display in a public place and the airport authorities should not give way to these complaints
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I see HIDDY's been drawing again in his spare time. Could be worse.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold.
Originally Posted by gms
It's a well known fact that Edinburgh folk are simply a bit weird.

As a Glaswegian I can confirm this.
As someone who came from just outside Glasgow and well away from Edinburgh I can confirm that Edinburgh folk are weird.

In fact the Big Yin himself (Billy Connolly) once "said there is more fun to be had at a Glasgow Funeral than there is at an Edinburgh Wedding".

That aside I was relieved when I read the story as opposed to what the title conjured up

Regards

Aero_Safety
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
People are offended by that? Good grief.
I know Nothing offensive about that.

People need to get a life.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.