BA Amex - BMI credit card

Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways
BA Amex - BMI credit card

i am not sure if this is the right place for this question - apologies if not.

I have the BA Amex Premium Plus card, if I apply for the BMI one (MBNA) would I still get the 20,000 sign up reward - after I spend the qualifying amount?

Also how long do you need to wait from closing the BA Amex account to join again and get the sign up reward?

Thanks
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:04 am

Programs: BAEC
You would indeed still get the 20k sign up bonus - get in quickly though, because the expectation is that this card wont be around for too much longer.

I believe that it takes 6 months for Amex to consider you a new customer, or at least that seems to be the case with the Gold/Platinum cards, so I assume it would be the same for the BA Amex.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:54 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by Horris
You would indeed still get the 20k sign up bonus - get in quickly though, because the expectation is that this card wont be around for too much longer.

I believe that it takes 6 months for Amex to consider you a new customer, or at least that seems to be the case with the Gold/Platinum cards, so I assume it would be the same for the BA Amex.
My brother cancelled his BA Amex last month and asked them how long it would be before he could reapply for another signup bonus, they said 3 months.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
My brother cancelled his BA Amex last month and asked them how long it would be before he could reapply for another signup bonus, they said 3 months.
I would not believe this and would not rly on it unless given in writing.

Give it 6 months, which is what other people have been told in response to similar questions, and indeed is what is in the written rules for the Amex Gold bonus.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
I guess there is a way of coverting BMI destination miles to avios to make this worthwhile?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by rembrandtuk
I guess there is a way of coverting BMI destination miles to avios to make this worthwhile?
Yes, can be converted on a 1:1 basis under 'Combine my Avios' within the Exec Club section.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by twanny76
i am not sure if this is the right place for this question - apologies if not.

I have the BA Amex Premium Plus card, if I apply for the BMI one (MBNA) would I still get the 20,000 sign up reward - after I spend the qualifying amount?

Also how long do you need to wait from closing the BA Amex account to join again and get the sign up reward?

Thanks
Do the figures and see whether it's worth it for you to pay the 85 and get the fee paid bmi plus card.

As well as 2 miles/ on Amex and 1 mile/ on Visa you get an extra 4k miles signup bonus.

If you spend a significant amount of Amex and need a reasonably decent earning Visa this may be worth it for you.

I'm thinking that if the card is stopped soon then you'll get a pro-rated refund of the annual fee and if it doesn't stop soon you will have an excellent miles earner.

You do need to spend a lot on the card to make it worthwhile though, the exact amount is up to you.

For simplicity I value a mile at 1p. I also have a BA Amex 2 for 1 meaning 1p is more than a fair value for it.

I spend a few thousand every month on the Amex and usually a small amount on the Visa (although with the Olympic tickets I got my Visa spend has also been high this month).

I'm keeping a close eye on the bmi website, when the credit card offer disappears from the homepage then I expect the cards days will be numbered. When that happens I'll switch my Amex spend back to BA but keep my Visa spend on the bmi until it's officially closed.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: Yes please
Originally Posted by twanny76
Can't see why not because these cards are issued by different banks, who surely ought to be competing against each other. As I understamd it, MBNA only use Amex for clearing transactions, in the same way they use MasterCard. There should be no overt link between the Amex-issued BAPP and and the MBNA-issued BMI card.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
never knew about the bmi miles and avios conversion!

Just gone ahead and applied and been accepted for the 20,000 mile offer ! Now just have to keep track on all the offers we've signed up to!

Thanks - learn something new everyyday!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.