Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold card now fee free for the first year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold card now fee free for the first year

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:15 pm

Just got one of these card!

What is the best way to transfer your MR points to BAEC - are there any special offers that come around? I.e. should I keep them as MR and wait?

Many thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by AkhilStyle
Just got one of these card!

What is the best way to transfer your MR points to BAEC - are there any special offers that come around? I.e. should I keep them as MR and wait?

Many thanks!
Wait until you build up a few more, and then....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rds-point.html
Old Jun 22, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PanGalactic

The benefits of this are far more dubious at the moment, with the current rate of exchange £ > $ and the fact that the transfer rates from the dollar card are now:
1:1 - Malaysian, Iberia, Cathay, Virgin, Finnair, Singapore
3:2 - Delta, BA, Flying Blue, SAS
2:1 - BMI
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by whiskerxx
The benefits of this are far more dubious at the moment, with the current rate of exchange £ > $ and the fact that the transfer rates from the dollar card are now:
1:1 - Malaysian, Iberia, Cathay, Virgin, Finnair, Singapore
3:2 - Delta, BA, Flying Blue, SAS
2:1 - BMI
Obviously 1:1 via Iberia is great as long as it lasts. I also still rate the Singapore transfer for anyone who is stuffed for Star Alliance miles now that BA is taking their BMI miles. Malaysian should also come into OneWorld in the next year or so, not sure what their redemption chart looks like.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by PanGalactic

Thanks for all the info guys - will have a read of these threads
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Received mine today, you get double points on airline and train bookings too. 20,000 extra points if you spend £1000 in 3 months too.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA
Can anyone tell me which Star Alliance partners (aside from SAS and Singapore) this card works with? Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Hilton Diamond
How long does it generally take for the 20,000 bonus miles to post? I've been waiting for 6 weeks since hitting the initial £1000 spend threshold.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:30 pm

The fifth statement, so about 5 months after taking out the card. Doesn'tmatter when the spend was reached.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
20,000 MRs Not Available for Existing Amex Customers?

I've just received my AMEX Gold Card and I've just noticed that the Ts and Cs state that "The 20,000 Membership Rewards bonus points.....are not available to existing American Express customers."

As a BA Amex PP Cardholder, does that mean I won't get the 20,000 MRs?

GD
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gold Digger
I've just received my AMEX Gold Card and I've just noticed that the Ts and Cs state that "The 20,000 Membership Rewards bonus points.....are not available to existing American Express customers."

As a BA Amex PP Cardholder, does that mean I won't get the 20,000 MRs?

GD
It is confusing. THe fee waiver is for new Amex CHARGE customers, its says the 20k is only for new Amex customers - no 'charge'.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have done some more digging and there are big changes to the referral bonuses and the rules to get them.

The full details are here
http://headforpoints.com/2012/07/05/...-new-criteria/

but basically:

Amex Plat - sign-up now 50,000 points with £100 Quidco. However, you must be a new Amex customer to qualify, that includes not having a BA Amex. Income target raised to £40k from £30k.

Amex Gold - fee waiver in Year 1 now not available if you have an Amex charge card already. 20,000 MR points only given to new Amex customers which excludes BA Amex holders. Quidco doubled to £20.

Overall - not good for card churners (and aren't we all!). Now it will be more about referring our partners for cards, although a lot of us already have a BA Amex for our partner as well.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Not good news!
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by Raffles
I have done some more digging and there are big changes to the referral bonuses and the rules to get them.

The full details are here
http://headforpoints.com/2012/07/05/...-new-criteria/

but basically:

Amex Plat - sign-up now 50,000 points with £100 Quidco. However, you must be a new Amex customer to qualify, that includes not having a BA Amex. Income target raised to £40k from £30k.

Amex Gold - fee waiver in Year 1 now not available if you have an Amex charge card already. 20,000 MR points only given to new Amex customers which excludes BA Amex holders. Quidco doubled to £20.

Overall - not good for card churners (and aren't we all!). Now it will be more about referring our partners for cards, although a lot of us already have a BA Amex for our partner as well.
Thanks Raffles. Not sure of my position as I applied for the card on 29 June and received and activated it yesterday (4 July). Does this mean that I have just scraped in under the old Ts and Cs (and I am hoping that they allowed current AMEX customers to qualify for the 20,000 MRs)?

GD
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, you should be fine.

No changes to SPG Amex rules, thankfully, so we can still get that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.