Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

bmi : The formal decision tree on when to do your BA status match!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

bmi : The formal decision tree on when to do your BA status match!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP (2 MM)
Originally Posted by vindaloo
Don't hold your breath. BA has repeatedly increased the advertised time for processing status matches, and is breaching even the 21 working days limit that is currently advertised. I applied on 9 November (immediately my BA year ticked over) and today is 21 working days later, but I'm still blue.
This whole situation is quite intriguing to me. As an "IT person" with over 20 years of experience, I can unequivocally state that any intern with a working knowledge of databases could make this process realtime in a day. Add some testing time and you could create a realtime matching system in a few days. Don't forget that they already have a realtime system to move points over, so the databases have already been mined/connected. So there must be a business reason for BA making it drag along. But I can't, for the life of me, figure out what would be the reason. It's not like people are going to forget or give up. And taking away a month from 18 or 24 months of membership is amateurish at best. Must be something else...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA*G, former BD*LG :-(
Originally Posted by vindaloo
Don't hold your breath....
Very true! I applied for the first time on 8th Oct and got nothing, I suspected the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-d...d-working.html was to blame so tried again once the 21/28 days expired, still nothing. However, logged into BA yesterday to find my account has been upgraded to Gold thru Dec 2014.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:21 am

Programs: BA GGL
I just happened to be re-reading the first post of this thread from Raffles and it made me smile:

Originally Posted by Raffles
OK, here we go. To save all the questions!
And here we are, 377 posts later...

Last edited by vindaloo; Dec 12, 2012 at 4:17 am Reason: Typo
Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by CheeseToastie
From the diamondclub.org FAQ:

Diamond Club members can continue to tier match to the Gold and Silver Executive Club tiers until 31 December 2012. After December 2012, the Executive Club will not offer any further opportunity to tier match.

If I were you I would get the match request in sharpish (provided your BA year has ticked over) and chase it up in a week or so if you haven't heard anything. Lots of these things seem to go missing and I'd hate to be unmatched at the year end.
Anyone know what would happen if you apply for the status match now but they don't process it until after December 31, being that date is now less than their claimed 21 working day processing time? Will they still honor the status match if your BMI account has been closed?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
This is probably a stupid question but does anyone know if the following means my new BA Gold card will run to January 2015? I've just status matched from bmi gold after my BA Silver year finished on 8 December 2012.

Membership year ends: 08 Dec 2013
Card expiry date: 31 Jan 2015

Thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Yes it does - seems as expected to me, you've renewed just after your existing year ended so get a full two years, plus the one month grace period on the card, thus 31/1/15. Not sure quite what the query is as it seems pretty clear? (lots of us have instead been told two years but only been given card expiry dates of 1 year - although have been assured this will correct itself).
Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by bmifly
I've just status matched from bmi gold after my BA Silver year finished on 8 December 2012.
Blimey, that was quick. My year rolled a month earlier and I applied on 9 November, but didn't get Gold until late last night. Shame, as I've taken half a dozen BA flights in the meantime (and would probably have taken a couple more if they'd processed my match sooner).

I've been given a card expiry only just over a year away. Is it still recommended to contact BA and get them to confirm that it will roll automatically? Is a PM to Nicci the best way to do this or should I e-mail BA?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 2:27 pm

Glad to see their systems are remaining totally inconsistent from month-to-month!! Hopefully PM to Nicci should do the trick but given she's out-of-office soon I'd consider going down both routes to be safe.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
Yes it does - seems as expected to me, you've renewed just after your existing year ended so get a full two years, plus the one month grace period on the card, thus 31/1/15. Not sure quite what the query is as it seems pretty clear? (lots of us have instead been told two years but only been given card expiry dates of 1 year - although have been assured this will correct itself).
I guess part of my confusion is that I’ve got the counter on the right of the Executive Club page saying that I need 1420 Tier Points to retain Gold Membership. I assume this is an anomaly.

I was a bmi lifetime gold so would still rather have diamond club than two years as Gold with BA. I’ve been BA Gold in the past but it takes a bit of effort. I was fortunate though that the end of my BA year matched exactly with the end of the status matching.

bmifly
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:27 pm

Ah OK - yes, the counter still seems to say that - I guess for GGL you'll need to earn the whole number of TPs so they've status matched you but haven't given you 1420 TPs, hence it still says your TP count is at zero.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:36 pm

Well I was one of the folk given only 2013 rather than 2014 card expiry. As of this morning my TP and membership year have reset but my status is still showing as Gold. However the card expiry still says 31/5/13 rather than 31/5/14 - does anyone know if this means the downgrade has gone ahead or does the card expiry always lag? :S

Edit: sadly looking at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...d-renewed.html it seems like Silver downgrade likely to take place given the lack of update of card expiry. Off to PM Nicci.

Last edited by EDIflyer; Apr 8, 2013 at 11:45 pm
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:54 pm

Just to update - reply within a few hours from Nicci - "Don't worry about this you will be renewed automatically" ^^
Old Apr 10, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Same happened to me this weekend with my reset, seems all fine and the following activity line - redemptions reduced my paid travel a lot this year, and a lot of the paid flights ended up on star!:
Tier Points Avios
08-Apr-13 Points Reset for New Membership Year -300 0
Hopefully works out all fine as I don't really want to be bothering Nikki unnecessarily.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 5:18 pm

Well we'll find out for certain on the 31st May I'm pretty hopeful though given her reply.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 2:38 am

All looking good today! Gold retention pack showing as having been ordered today and card expiry has reset to May 2014

Result! Many thanks to BA and bmi. Matching to Gold was a good choice by BA - now I've experienced the increased reward availability of Gold (and some of the F lounges) I'm now pretty likely to work to retain it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.