Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

bmi : The formal decision tree on when to do your BA status match!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

bmi : The formal decision tree on when to do your BA status match!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: BMI Diamon Club
wow, didn't realise I was actually so close to being worth something

I'll be out of the country until way past September, so I suppose looking at this credit card may be the only option. Any idea of when I'd have to spend £250 on the card by?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
First 90 days for the free destination miles - http://www.mbna.co.uk/credit-cards/b...s-credit-card/

Hopefully the 4k status miles should post within a month or so of opening the account, but I can't remember for certain if they were that quick. Status miles are linked to the card fee not minimum spend, but you'd be well worth hitting the spend target to get the free destination miles and then convert them to Avios.

£85 for two years BA Silver (and a year or Bronze!) plus 24,000 Avios is definitely a good deal if all goes to plan!
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:29 pm

thing is I already have a BMI credit card (got the 24,000 destination miles a year or so ago).... so I don't see them giving me more? Surely they'll let me upgrade my current credit card to the premium one and give me the 4,000 status miles?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by rankourabu
ok here is my situation:

I dont have a BAEC account.
I am BD silver, with membership year ending Jan.2.2013

do I have this right?
Open up a BAEC account sometime in December
Ask for a match and point transfer then, my BA Silver would be 2 years from when I open up the account?

Should I wait even longer (or until Jan.1) to open up an account and ask for a match - or should some leeway be given?
- Matches have been declined where the person's BD status membership year at the level requested had expired at the time the match request was submitted
- BAEC is one of the programs that renews based on when the member joined, rather than renewing at calendar year.

So you're not losing much if you ensure you get a BAEC account and status match a little earlier than the end of your BD year. Surely this would be better than losing out on a status match if you run it too close and for whatever reason you do not get it done in time?

(Noting that the actual expiry date of your BD membership is usually earlier than the expiry date printed on your Diamond Club card.)

Personally I'm with others who guess that the status match could be withdrawn by around 28th October of this year. And BA did not give any notice period at all when some DC benefits summarily stopped in recent months.

Last edited by h15t0r1an; Sep 4, 2012 at 6:35 pm
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by galego
thing is I already have a BMI credit card (got the 24,000 destination miles a year or so ago).... so I don't see them giving me more? Surely they'll let me upgrade my current credit card to the premium one and give me the 4,000 status miles?
Yes, shouldn't be a problem on the status miles front, I'd apply anyway and keep fingers crossed in case you luck out on the destination miles front :-P I'd also keep a printout of the page I linked to so that in the worst case scenario if you don't get status miles you can be sure of a strong case for getting the £85 fee back. Please keep us updated :-)
Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
+2
Originally Posted by gpb_croppers63
I got my match last week but my card expiry date is showing September 2013. I've e-mailed BA as I'm not happy with this. I don't want to have to fight them next year so I want something in writing to show to them if they try to give me any problems.
Originally Posted by gate4lounge
+1^
Originally Posted by sigma421
Still waiting here (but glad to hear you got a 2014 card expiry date!)
Gold update from BA Silver today after applying ca. 19/8. Card expires 9/14, year end 9/13.

Current flying will see me retain Silver with no effort.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
Yes, shouldn't be a problem on the status miles front, I'd apply anyway and keep fingers crossed in case you luck out on the destination miles front :-P I'd also keep a printout of the page I linked to so that in the worst case scenario if you don't get status miles you can be sure of a strong case for getting the £85 fee back. Please keep us updated :-)
good advice

say I apply online, as if it was my first time getting a BMI card...is there a space to put in my Diamon Club account number, so as to keep it all together?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by galego
good advice

say I apply online, as if it was my first time getting a BMI card...is there a space to put in my Diamon Club account number, so as to keep it all together?
Yes there's a space on the online form for that
Old Sep 7, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: BD Lifetime Gold (hah!), EI Gold Elite, TK Gold, A3 Gold, HHonors Gold
Lifetime gold with no BA status - when to match?

Apologies if this scenario has been covered above, but I can't see it.

I am BD lifetime gold, year expiring 11/12, card says 12/12.

I created a BAEC account in May but have so far done nothing with it as I was put off by people saying they only got one year when they applied at that time.

When is the best time to match?

Was I silly creating the BAEC account in May? I see above that it can be best to create it shortly before applying for a match.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Silver BD Silver
The formal decision tree on when to do your BA status match!

Personally I would apply on 9th of september, there is no guarantee that BA will carry on matching for too much longer. End of October some on here predict. Should give you gold until may 2014
Old Sep 8, 2012, 5:12 am

Programs: BD Lifetime Gold (hah!), EI Gold Elite, TK Gold, A3 Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RedMark
Personally I would apply on 9th of september, there is no guarantee that BA will carry on matching for too much longer. End of October some on here predict. Should give you gold until may 2014
Hmmm, sounds like I may be better throwing away that BAEC account created in May, setting up a new one, and status matching to the new one...
Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:10 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I've personally seen nothing to suggest that BA won't continue to match until the end of Diamond Club, and at this stage why on earth would they want to create bad feeling by applying a different match just because a member's BD Gold/Silver year happens to end at a different time?

Like devbel, I currently have a completely empty BAEC account which I opened before the takeover completed when I booked an internal QF flight and thought I might as well get some miles from it in case I ended up long term with OneWorld.

I'll also therefore be opening another account to get the maximum possible time with status.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL/CCR,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Starwood Titanium, Delta Gold, United
I got matched when the offer opened, and i've already passed the 1500 threshold to retain the gold card. It was easier that I thought and BA have really looked after me. My advice is to match and start earning on BA metal. It's been worth it for me and i'm now on my way to Gold Guest List.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by devbel
Hmmm, sounds like I may be better throwing away that BAEC account created in May, setting up a new one, and status matching to the new one...
Sounds sensible - if no useful balance in the original one then go for the new expiry date!
Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
I've been waiting it out to match my BD*G to BA*blue (as you may have seen from a posting months ago on this thread).

BAEC membership year ended at midnight last night (blue status, essentially no miles). I am BD Gold and looking now to status match. I've logged into BAEC account and find that it still says "membership year ends 8 September 2012" rather than saying it ends 8 September 2013 - should I wait until it updates itself before applying for status match (and how long is this likely to take?)? No flights anticipated in the immediate future.

Scott

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.