Search

Conservative party admits wrong on Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Conservative party admits wrong on Heathrow

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...?newsfeed=true

Radical options to increase airport capacity in the south-east – including developing RAF Northolt on the edge of London – are being urgently considered by the government amid growing fears that its decision to rule out a third runway at Heathrow is choking off economic growth
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Why were they agasint it in the first place?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by ardboe
Hi,

I think ( before this thread goes to OMNI)

(1) Lots of affluent voters immediately around LHR ( I think some seats may be marginal)
(2) Lib Dems against it for " environmental reasons"-ignoring the fact that the planes are circling in the sky burning more fuel ( plus the additional hold time on the ground where the jet engines are not as efficient as once airborne ie more fuel was burned)

I was a bit surprised when the Conservatives originally announced they were against expanding LHR

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: ABBA
I suppose the argument is the same one they use against road widening. If you build a 3rd (and 4th) runway, and T6, T7 and T8, hold times won't get better -- there'll just be more flights.

Better to close LHR and expand BHX
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot

I think ( before this thread goes to OMNI)
Well BA is a small user of Heathrow. BA has made it very clear that Heathrow needs expansion. This is why I placed it here for people to see. Its not my normal newspaper, so I would only read it online or onhere.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paulwuk

I personally think we should just increase BHX, keep LHR how it is at the moment. At one stage, when many on here were young, BA were going to have a hub at BHX. A previous recession caused them to rethink that idea (I think).
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking

Originally Posted by ardboe
I venture to guess that it was to try to get more votes.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Yes of course, because Birmingham is the centre of the UK's economy
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I suppose the argument is the same one they use against road widening. If you build a 3rd (and 4th) runway, and T6, T7 and T8, hold times won't get better -- there'll just be more flights.

You can build an extra runway and terminals but still restrict the number of flights that can use LHR to current levels (or with a very snall number of extra slots) - something you can not do with roads.

I support a 3rd runway as long as it is used to manage delays and reduce circling etc and not for masses of additional flights numbers.

Anyone calculated the environmental cost of building a 'boris island' compared to a 3rd runway?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Like it or not, there are likely to be more flights in 10 years time than there are now. Either we build the facilities to cope with this, or we allow the economies of other European countries to benefit whilst we don't.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: BAEC
Whilst there is all this waffling and unecessary bureaucracy, make Heathrow mixed mode. You gain a modest number of slots and help to cut down on queues and holding patterns.

Whatever could happen beyond this, it will undoubtedly take longer than it should (IMO) and probably won't be enough when we get it. Expanding Heathrow is not a long term solution.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even in this thread I see some of the same smug and unrealistic comments made in the press and in the (UK) real world. Birmingham is not an option. Two runways is an ABSOLUTE JOKE, making LHR in reality the smallest of all major international airports around the World. If the Uk wants to even attempt to be a first World player for the rest of the current century it should have already built a 3rd AND A FOURTH runway yesterday! (I also find it ridiculous when one considers that the original aerodrome had over 20 landing strips and as recently as 1977 there were SIX RUNWAYS at LHR (Yes, angled due to wind, yada yada, but it was at leats three real ones).
Old Mar 24, 2012, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
... Two runways is an ABSOLUTE JOKE, making LHR in reality the smallest of all major international airports around the World. If the Uk wants to even attempt to be a first World player for the rest of the current century it should have already built a 3rd AND A FOURTH runway yesterday!...
^

rb211.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Seems as if we could get them to change their mind for the price of twenty or so F returns to SYD. Fancy a whip round?

Same old Tories...

Which reminds me, I'm always very upset they don't have the gruaniad in the lounges. There must be other FFers who aren't raving right-wingers!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Skywards, Hilton Honors and lots of other under-utilised Hotel Schemes
Originally Posted by eurotrotter
Seems as if we could get them to change their mind for the price of twenty or so F returns to SYD. Fancy a whip round?

Same old Tories...

Which reminds me, I'm always very upset they don't have the gruaniad in the lounges. There must be other FFers who aren't raving right-wingers!
That'll be me then

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.