Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will BA start Portland, Oregon, USA?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:28 am
Ambassador

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
yup but still Virgin is just trying to pinch business from BA as proved with Vancouver, Mumbai and the soon to be Seattle service

sure they may have set up a few routes before BA but BA have set up A LOT MORE routes before VS including VS flagship routes to California, JFK, Barbados etc
Obviously. BA (and its predecessors) have been around for much longer.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by vscxfan
BA has swallowed B-Cal, Dan-Air and now BMI (by threatening to close it down and put hundreds out of work if the EU didn't roll over);
That's not true; it was LH that threatened to shut it down if the green light was not given. BA certainly wouldn't have had the means or authority to shut down an airline they didn't have any say in running!!!
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; VS Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
That's not true; it was LH that threatened to shut it down if the green light was not given. BA certainly wouldn't have had the means or authority to shut down an airline they didn't have any say in running!!!
The point is that the EU couldn't have vetoed a deal that saved British jobs.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by oscietra
I think Fort Lauderdale is more likely, once the runway extension is completed.
Right, once it will completely new south runway extension sometime in between 2014 or 2015. You will see lots of changing. The entire terminal 4 will start underway renovated and they will adds more new gate space and expand new Customs & Immigrations, too. Soon, TSA will installed new inline baggage screening system at entire T2, T3, T4. They were talking about new entire concourse A at T1.

Please followed the website at www.broward.org/airport to see how is construction in progress.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 9:24 pm

As a Scot living in Portland, with plenty of spare Avios, I would love to see it happen... but don't think it's that likely. It seems like there is enough demand to warrant one flight a day between Europe and Portland, but perhaps not two.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Don't laugh, but I actually see a market for LHR-MKE for the following reasons:

1. Businesses in the Milwaukee area. There are actually about two dozen Fortune 1000 companies in the greater metro area, including Manpower (with an enormous presence in the UK and Europe), R.W. Baird (financial institution also with a UK presence) and several pharmaceutical wholesale suppliers.

2. Business and leisure traffic from the northernmost Chicago suburbs. Given the option of a 25-50min drive to ORD or a 60-80min drive to MKE and the ease of using each airport upon arrival I think some may choose to go to MKE instead, particularly if it meant avoiding the 5pm traffic in the ORD vicinity when trying to make an evening flight to Europe.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by maccoinnich
As a Scot living in Portland, with plenty of spare Avios, I would love to see it happen... but don't think it's that likely. It seems like there is enough demand to warrant one flight a day between Europe and Portland, but perhaps not two.
Actually, BA has already existed service SEA-LHR. It operated a twice daily RT. I don't think it happening anytime soon unless if they have enough demand.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:50 am

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Portland could be an interesting addition to the BA network....I think it could work. All depends whether BA think it would affect the SEA service or not.
If I remember correctly, a few years ago BA ran LHR-SEA 2x daily. Instead of adding back the 2nd daily SEA, why not open up PDX and have both SEA and PDX 1x daily to LHR...
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Exactly. If Virgin adds Seattle, it might make sense for BA to look further afield for Pacific NW expansion.

YVR (metro pop. 2.3 million): ACx1, BAx2, VSx1
SEA (metro pop. 3.5 million): BAx1, (potentially) VSx1
PDX (metro pop. 2.3 million): nada

I for one would adore this route.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by maccoinnich
I believe the reason the AMS-PDX route is there is because Nike and Adidas have large presences in each location and thus provide alot of the demand.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver
Would be an interesting route but competition exists from DL/KL in terms of connecting traffic.

According to Wiki Pittsburgh and St Louis have larger populations than Portland and STL has no transatlantic presence and PIT has a seasonal 757 service on DL. These look to be possible opportunities but what are the business links like with these cities?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
I opened this post with some excitment - could BA have really reconsidered PDX as a viable option?

Sadly not.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Don't laugh, but I actually see a market for LHR-MKE for the following reasons:

1. Businesses in the Milwaukee area. There are actually about two dozen Fortune 1000 companies in the greater metro area, including Manpower (with an enormous presence in the UK and Europe), R.W. Baird (financial institution also with a UK presence) and several pharmaceutical wholesale suppliers.

2. Business and leisure traffic from the northernmost Chicago suburbs. Given the option of a 25-50min drive to ORD or a 60-80min drive to MKE and the ease of using each airport upon arrival I think some may choose to go to MKE instead, particularly if it meant avoiding the 5pm traffic in the ORD vicinity when trying to make an evening flight to Europe.
I like this idea. It could set up a similar system to its Tokyo services. Focus on ORD/NRT but also add 1x daily services to MKE/HND to ensure the whole city/ area is sufficiently served.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Skyline
I opened this post with some excitment - could BA have really reconsidered PDX as a viable option?

Sadly not.
Perhaps when BA start taking delivery of their 787s -- they're intended for long, skinny routes. Don't know how much traffic the SEA/LHR route draws from the PDX market at the moment.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
I like this idea. It could set up a similar system to its Tokyo services. Focus on ORD/NRT but also add 1x daily services to MKE/HND to ensure the whole city/ area is sufficiently served.
It's a nice idea but I don't think it will happen with AA having 5 daily ORD-MKE services that allow more flexible timing. FWIW, BA already places its code on all 5 of those flights.

It's a lot like the LHR-TPE idea, which would be great, but then you realize CX runs HKG-TPE like 20 times a day so it's probably easier for BA just to code on to those.

Basically the question is, is either market large enough to warrant a nonstop? Is the extra $$$ there from the nonstop? I don't think there is on either. Though I would love to see both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.