Upgrade price offered is it worth it?

Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
Upgrade price offered is it worth it?

Hi people

On BA117 week today (4th April) 0830hrs LHR - JFK. Just checked MMB today and the upgrade to CW is now £499 a special proactive on line offer. Return on the 8th is still showing as £1800.

Is it worth it as a treat for me and the OH?

I know availability in J class is still good so is it worth taking the risk to see what happens nearer the time or the airport?

Is there any chance of it dropping any further on the price?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I suppose it comes down to the cost and the tier points.

Can you afford it ? Or would the money be better spent on meals etc in NYC ?

Also how important is tier points and lounge access ?

If you have no lounge access or need the TPs to gain or re-qualify for status then it's good ?

cs
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
I suppose it comes down to the cost and the tier points.

Can you afford it ? Or would the money be better spent on meals etc in NYC ?

Also how important is tier points and lounge access ?

If you have no lounge access or need the TPs to gain or re-qualify for status then it's good ?

cs

I do need the points but so it is a good offer though just read various reports about £499 being a return offer which on the MMB is gives that impression ie £499 per adult upgrade special BA offer only at BA.com...then when it continues its only the outbound.

Just wasnt sure whether to risk it at the airport or is it a good price and would it get any cheaper at the airport?!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Its always worth being as close to the pointy end as possible - go for it and enjoy!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:49 am

Programs: BA GGL
It definitely won't be cheaper at the airport - and may well not be available at all. Hence, it you're happy with the price, take it!

For me, the daytime flights to JFK (esp. on the upper deck) are one of the best opportunities to enjoy the 'full' CW experience.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmpawson
Its always worth being as close to the pointy end as possible - go for it and enjoy!
Thanks for that thats what im thinking it is a bit of a one off treat
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFU? NFW!
It definitely won't be cheaper at the airport - and may well not be available at all. Hence, it you're happy with the price, take it!

For me, the daytime flights to JFK (esp. on the upper deck) are one of the best opportunities to enjoy the 'full' CW experience.
Thank you for the advice....what can i expect during the day on the 0830 departure? Obviously the lounge prior to boarding etc..
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:06 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
£1,000 for two of you, for an early AM day flight?! I wouldn't bother in the slightest.

Get to the airport, 2 hours before the flight, breakfast at Plane Food, a comfy enough seat and business class food and still have £970 left in your pocket to spend in NYC!!

WT+ is more than fine for such a short flight during the day
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by chiefwiggumpi

Thank you for the advice....what can i expect during the day on the 0830 departure? Obviously the lounge prior to boarding etc..
glass of champagne on boarding, plenty of wine, but best of all a really great seat to relax, snooze or watch a dvd.

If youe used to economy it will be a really nice trip.

I took my first CW trip earlier this year and loved it, even wrote a really poor trip report!

PS. would agree with Cap'n Benj though, if its my money I could find better ways to spend it!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
£1,000 for two of you, for an early AM day flight?! I wouldn't bother in the slightest.

Get to the airport, 2 hours before the flight, breakfast at Plane Food, a comfy enough seat and business class food and still have £970 left in your pocket to spend in NYC!!

Couldn't agree more ^
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:14 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

I suppose it depends what you are used to. For me LHR-JFK isn't even long haul since it's almost half the length of LHR-EZE or LHR-NRT (both of which i've already done this year). Even for those long flights WT+ is bearable for daytime flights if the cabin is not too busy.

I would consider an upgrade to CW for night flights though, since then you'll arrive so much more alive - ready either for work or a day's holiday. But even then I have never paid since there is the chance of an op-up. Why pay when you might get the upgrade for free (about 30% of the time for me).
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
£499 each one-way seems steep to me.

I would personally just stay in WT+ where you will get 8646 Avios / Miles return per person, put them into a Household Account and with another couple of thousand or so, you could use them next time for a cheaper one-way WT+ to CW upgrade (10k Avios each one-way)
(I assume there's no option to upgrade with miles at this stage? Would have been far cheaper buying 20k Avios for around £300 and upgrading both of you one-way at the time of booking depending on how much you want the extra TPs when comparing to a cash upgrade)

Keep the nearly £1k and spend it elsewhere - would even cover a couple of WT flights from LHR-JFK in the future.

As for comments about it being better upgrading on the return leg, personally I don't sleep on planes heading east and £499 for 3-4 hours sleep isn't worth it to me. That's 3-4 nights in a hotel where I can sleep properly for 8 hours+ should I choose!

There's always the slim chance of getting upgraded at the gate anyway.

Last edited by xenole; Mar 28, 2012 at 4:33 am
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xenole
£499 each one-way seems steep to me.

I would personally just stay in WT+ where you will get 8646 Avios / Miles return per person, put them into a Household Account and with another couple of thousand or so, you could use them next time for a cheaper one-way WT+ to CW upgrade (10k Avios each one-way)

Keep the nearly £1k (if you can upgade both ways) and spend it elsewhere - would even cover a couple of WT flights from LHR-JFK in the future.

As for comments about it being better upgrading on the return leg, personally I don't sleep on planes heading east and £499 for 3-4 hours sleep isn't worth it to me. That's 3-4 nights in a hotel where I can sleep properly for 8 hours+ should I choose!

There's always the slim chance of getting upgraded at the gate anyway.

Thanks that what im thinking...its another set of flights practically just wasnt sure if it was a good price?!

If i add on the original cost of my flights it doesnt seem that cheap for a o/w CW?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Is the upgrade from WT or WT+?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Couldn't agree more ^
Ha ha!

I see your point!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.