stuck in an exit row

Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci! (and BA Gold, HH Dia etc.)
stuck in an exit row

I was on a flight this week (won't identify the route out of discretion) seated in an overwing exit row. The man seated in 11F was generously proportioned (to say the least) and you'd have to say, he'd have had no chance of squeezing through the exit even if I had been pushing him.
It struck me as strange that he was allowed to stay there
The situation rumbled round in my mind afterwards and on a later flight this week one of the crew wasn't exactly skinny. Then I came to think that she probably would have been last person out so only she would have perished in an evacuation.
Aren't both of these situations (in their own way) at odds with safety policies?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I can see your point (in a way) about larger people, but, isn't it true that if they can get on the plane in the first place (through what is in effect an emergency exit) - and also get behind the seat in front to sit down - then they can get out of the seat and out of the exit too?

And considering a line of people standing behind them would be pushing them out of the way, I am sure even pretty 'large' people would find they got through the exit door pretty damn quick!

However, I do very much believe that people in emergency exit rows should be physically able - no one should be sittinng there if they dont have the stature to "blow the bloody doors off" quickly, as Michael Cane might put it...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
On our aircraft, someone that requires an extension seatbelt would not be seated at an overwing exit.

This may vary from airline to airline and between different governing authorities.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
At least people who walk onto an aircraft are walking !! Imagine having to get (carry) said large person safely down two flights of stairs

cs
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
On our aircraft, someone that requires an extension seatbelt would not be seated at an overwing exit.

This may vary from airline to airline and between different governing authorities.
Same in Australia and therefore would be the same on QF.

Some time ago I reported to BA an instance where an obese and somewhat mobility impaired guy was permitted to be seated in the exit row. I knew from the lounge that he could not pick things up off the floor and his breathing was very laboured and appeared to have difficulties walking without a bit of difficulties.

I can see the difficulties that BA would have faced. This guy was obviously a status card holder (by virtue of having had a lounge access while travelling in WT+ or WT, I can't remember which) and I assume he had pre-allocated the exit row seat. It would be a bit sensitive for cabin crew members to move him in this circumstance. I cannot remember if he required an extension seat belt, as I was not paying attention at the time but his size and the way he moved was such that it would have been clear that he wasn't the best suited person for the exit row.

Anyway, I received a non-"form reply" from BA and so I believe BA takes this kind of things pretty seriously.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Same in Australia and therefore would be the same on QF.

Some time ago I reported to BA an instance where an obese and somewhat mobility impaired guy was permitted to be seated in the exit row. I knew from the lounge that he could not pick things up off the floor and his breathing was very laboured and appeared to have difficulties walking without a bit of difficulties.

I can see the difficulties that BA would have faced. This guy was obviously a status card holder (by virtue of having had a lounge access while travelling in WT+ or WT, I can't remember which) and I assume he had pre-allocated the exit row seat. It would be a bit sensitive for cabin crew members to move him in this circumstance. I cannot remember if he required an extension seat belt, as I was not paying attention at the time but his size and the way he moved was such that it would have been clear that he wasn't the best suited person for the exit row.

Anyway, I received a non-"form reply" from BA and so I believe BA takes this kind of things pretty seriously.
We do have to move people quite often from these seats and it is not easy. You do have to be very careful as people can be understandably quite sensitive. We usually just explain that it is a CAA regulation that does not allow the use of extension seatbelts in these rows and swop them to a similar seat in another row.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:03 pm

We do have to move people quite often from these seats and it is not easy. You do have to be very careful as people can be understandably quite sensitive. We usually just explain that it is a CAA regulation that does not allow the use of extension seatbelts in these rows and swop them to a similar seat in another row.
Do you finish the explanation with the words [edited out by the old school ma'am LTN Phobia to say, "Mind your language please"].

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Feb 17, 2012 at 5:41 pm Reason: See main part of the post
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)

I knew from the lounge that he could not pick things up off the floor and his breathing was very laboured and appeared to have difficulties walking without a bit of difficulties.

Think i must of met this chappy this week, about 25st, now totally unable to walk and on the third floor with no lift !

cs
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
safety compromised ?

This scenario is fraught with catastrophe waiting in the wings. In an emergency where we have to exit within 90 seconds or less, people may be panicked. if the larger person fell down, how many pax will it take to heave him over the exit ?

SOLUTION: Rather than the FA starting a delicate potential confrontation with the pax on board causing delays and " spoiling" everyone's mood why not have the GA rule on it? Most often they just have to say, all seats are taken. A problem if a person gets it on line....maybe a disclaimer that the final assignment is at the discretion of the GA /. FA ?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
This scenario is fraught with catastrophe waiting in the wings. In an emergency where we have to exit within 90 seconds or less, people may be panicked. if the larger person fell down, how many pax will it take to heave him over the exit ?

SOLUTION: Rather than the FA starting a delicate potential confrontation with the pax on board causing delays and " spoiling" everyone's mood why not have the GA rule on it? Most often they just have to say, all seats are taken. A problem if a person gets it on line....maybe a disclaimer that the final assignment is at the discretion of the GA /. FA ?
I thought there was a box that pops up, stating who can and cannot sit in these seats, if you choose one of the overwing seats, but I expect people just click yes and don't bother reading it!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:38 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I thought there was a box that pops up if you choose one of the overwing seats, but I expect people just click yes and don't bother reading it!
There is a box to tick indeed, but I suspect some people don't read it - or read it and despite some contra-indications they still click yes anyway.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AC-E and a few hotels
There is a box to tick indeed, but I suspect some people don't read it - or read it and despite some contra-indications they still click yes anyway.
They feel as entitled to be in those seats as anyone else!

I have been on a number of flights where I have either been sandwiched in to the wall of the aircraft by a well proportioned individual! The worse was on a united CRJ by a guy pushing 350lb and needing the armrest up and 2 seatbelt extensions. We weren't in a exit row but if there had been a problem I would have been stuck. FA didn't seem fussed almost like this was a common occurrence.

This topic has reminded of the scene in In Bruges with ray talking to the americans planning on going up the tower!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: BA Blue
One would hope that the when the box pops up the information is read before the box is checked. I would love an exit seat on my upcoming trip on BA just as I did last time I travelled.However due to an injury, I will NOT select that seat out of fairness although the son is strapping. You are either suited to it or not. If it is obvious for what ever reason that an individual is unable they should be removed.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Unhappy Sandwiched ? "Ambushed" ?

Originally Posted by Railroad flyer
They feel as entitled to be in those seats as anyone else!

I have been on a number of flights where I have either been sandwiched in to the wall of the aircraft by a well proportioned individual! The worse was on a united CRJ by a guy pushing 350lb and needing the armrest up and 2 seatbelt extensions. We weren't in a exit row but if there had been a problem I would have been stuck. FA didn't seem fussed almost like this was a common occurrence.

This topic has reminded of the scene in In Bruges with ray talking to the americans planning on going up the tower!
Here is a question for all...In such a case I will be sorely tempted to whip out my camera, take a picture and ask the FA / Captain to reseat him / her or unload me and provide compensation for Involuntary Denied Boarding to the fullest and more, for it is the airlines responsibility to monitor and ensure the safety of all pax.

After years of suffering these "overflowing bodies in my seat area" I started saying nicely but firmly to please remain in their space.....many would just shrug and say that it is not their fault that the airlines make such small seats. Yes I have pointed out that First class has much wider seats......

There was a media blurb that US Coast Guard revised average body weight from 160 to 180 lbs for sea going capacity thresholds to calculate how many pax can one take !
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:56 am

I recently moved a female passenger (to club as it was the only spare seat) who I and the other crew could see was distressed by being blocked in by a large passenger. She was very grateful. This was not in an exit row. If it had been an exit row, I would have been required to move the large passenger and swop him with someone else.

If someone is disabled, frail and elderly, obese or a child, they cannot sit in an overwing exit row and the cabin crew will move them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.