Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Book with money and upgrade with Avios vs MFU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Am I correct in thinking that you're better off buying a ticket out right and then in MMB upgrading with Avios vs using the option on BA.com of buying with cash and upgrading with Avios?

My understanding is if you use option 2, you'll always pay the highest value for the lower class of travel whilst if you book the seat separately you can get a cheaper ticket.

I appreciate that this has a lot to do with availability but let's say I see that there are redemption seats in CW for a specific flight. Should I buy the lowest valued WT+ seat and then upgrade with Avios in MMB? Is that a cheaper way of doing this?

I believe this won't be possible from Y if you've bought the cheapest Y ticket but is the same for W?

Thanks
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by silonic
Am I correct in thinking that you're better off buying a ticket out right and then in MMB upgrading with Avios vs using the option on BA.com of buying with cash and upgrading with Avios?

My understanding is if you use option 2, you'll always pay the highest value for the lower class of travel whilst if you book the seat separately you can get a cheaper ticket.
I think that other than in Y, there ought to be no difference providing you ask for the cheapest ticket.

However, on some routes there appears to be a ba.com glitch if you use option 2, when ba.com wrongly returns only a full-fare ticket. In such cases, using option 1 may be better, but it carries some timing and aggravation risk - if someone grabs the award seats before you can get into MMB to do the upgrade, for example, or if MMB falls over and you have to phone BA to get the MFU done.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
Which option do people normally use regularly? Is there any diff in the taxes paid between the 2 options?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I normally book online the lower class (usually CW) and then phone straight away to upgrade with Avios.

ba.com sometimes throws its toys out of the pram when trying to do the whole thing in one transaction, often quoting far more than the cost should be. There should be no difference in taxes for CW to F if upgraded on the same day as the booking.

I'm not sure about additional tax for WTP to CW though - is WTP classed as a 'premium' cabin for tax purposes?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:42 pm

I've always wondered the same thing, as the taxes/fees have gone nowhere but astronomically up consistently for the past 8 years or so.

I always (due to being bone idle looking for a one-stop booking) just sign on, do the "book with money upgrade with miles" in the one fell swoop. Choose a WT+ seat with upgrade availablility on a flight, then click on upgrade to CW both ways, then pay up my dosh+25,000 miles.

How the taxes and fees could be higher any other way, I cannot imagine. My last several tickets were $1500 plus $800 in taxes and fees, varying only by $100-$250 for the base ticket per the season booked. This summer's quote was $1900 fare plus $1115 taxes and fees! So they are often more than 50 percent of the fare.

Taxes and fees continue to increase with every one of my thrice-yearly ticket purchases, without fail, since 2006 when they began to go nuclear.

If there is any way to book a WT+ with upgrade and pay fewer taxes, then I'd really like to know.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Genius1
I'm not sure about additional tax for WTP to CW though - is WTP classed as a 'premium' cabin for tax purposes?
Yes. The rates are called "lowest cabin class" and "standard rate", or some-such, so WTP is classed as the high rate of APD.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HQNEY
Which option do people normally use regularly? Is there any diff in the taxes paid between the 2 options?
I've used both. There should be no difference - you should end up with exactly the same thing at the end of the day.
Originally Posted by Genius1
There should be no additional UK APD. However, there is a fuel surcharge increase when upgrading from W to J.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
The other factor to consider is if you are buying a ticket that doesn't start in your home BAEC membership country (i.e. Eurocheats - not suggesting you are one though) then you will find it very difficult or impossible to upgrade it via MMB or by phone. Upgrade at the time of booking is the only safe option here.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Also, on this subject, if you book with cash and upgrade with avios, or book, and upgrade with avios in mmb, do you still get the tier points for the class you travel in, or the class you paid for?

Thanks

Jack
Old Mar 1, 2012, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackowilkinson
... do you still get the tier points for the class you travel in, or the class you paid for?
The class you paid cash for.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PaulN
The other factor to consider is if you are buying a ticket that doesn't start in your home BAEC membership country (i.e. Eurocheats - not suggesting you are one though) then you will find it very difficult or impossible to upgrade it via MMB or by phone. Upgrade at the time of booking is the only safe option here.
Is this correct? I'm not a Euro Cheat as I do live in AMS but I do get annoyed with how much they want to charge in EURs for a reward flight. So was thinking of buying ticket in GBP and then upgrading with AVIOS after but obviously if the above is true I won't be able to do this.

Can anyone confirm? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.